Traded Brisbane trade #16, #52, #55, and #72 to Port Adelaide for #29, #71 and 2020 R1 Pick

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Either i'm reading this wrong or this is an awful trade for Port
You aren't and it is. This is the current regime hated by the bulk of the supporters selling the future so Hinkley can limp into finals and get his extra year. 3 first round picks, but despite gaping holes in our list for KPP's, as they take longer to develop (and Port don't rate or develop KPP's well) we'll probably go small for the immediate hit they'll give for the same reason of the short term fix.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A very risky trade to make when we’ve got a poor coach and a disgruntled fan base

We’re now in the position where we need to make finals, and need to nail the draft.

that sounds obvious, but now the outcomes of not achieving those 2 key targets are diabolically bad and very hard to come back from.

May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Literally one of the worst trades I can remember seeing.

Port could finish last next year; yes, even lower than Gold Coast, anything is possible, and I think GC will make inroads next year.

Port have been diabolical at the trade table for 2 years now, so I guess nothing can really surprise, but this certainly does hit as flagrant incompetence seemingly more so than anything else they have conjured up so far in the aforementioned period.

Go Power!

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
A very risky trade to make when we’ve got a poor coach and a disgruntled fan base

We’re now in the position where we need to make finals, and need to nail the draft.

that sounds obvious, but now the outcomes of not achieving those 2 key targets are diabolically bad and very hard to come back from.
Losing Howard was not good for you guys but your list has some really good kids on it already and another 3 1st rounders coming this year...I think you are being harsh on the state of your list as it looks to be regenerating at a good pace

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Port could finish last next year; yes, even lower than Gold Coast, anything is possible, and I think GC will make inroads next year.

Port have been diabolical at the trade table for 2 years now, so I guess nothing can really surprise, but this certainly does hit as flagrant incompetence seemingly more so than anything else they have conjured up so far in the aforementioned period.

Go Power!
It's obvious you know nothing about the players Port traded in last year. Google will help you.

Bennie the Nurse

Senior List
Dec 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Go Power!
Actually given the likelihood of no other club selecting Jackson Mead before Port Adelaide’s Pick 18 , which is highly likely, Port will now get 3 first round picks + Mead.
Next Year Port have F/S and NGA picks , a couple that would be highly likely to be 1st rounders and a raft of points to use.
Very shrewd trading .........unless an opposition Club pick Mead in the other 15 first round picks that Port don’t hold and on every Phantom Draft I’ve sighted that’s unlikely.

Suit

All Australian
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
• UCI: MTS, LTS • F1: DR, CL, MV
This crap gets said all the time. Even if there are a lot of nextgen prospects, there will still be plenty of quality in the first round, including many players the so-called draft experts don't rate yet.

I still remember people saying the 2009 draft was going to be one of the worst ever, and it produced two of the greatest midfielders of all time.

Huh?

Never said there won't be "plenty of quality in the first round". Nor did I state next year's draft was weak. What are you on about?

old.jpg

I just stated that there are 17 prospects already tied to clubs (Father-sons and NGA), and that only a few of them need to attract early bids to compromise the top 10 (push back an intial top 10 pick).

It's not a reach to say that pick 7 (at the completion of year's season), could blow-out to pick 10 (or higher) on draft night.

Just take a look at this year. Adelaide's pick 3, will most likely be pick 5 (due to the Sun's PP and an early bid on Tom Green). None of this was know when the trade with Carlton was lodged last year.

Last edited:

theBigB

Debutant
Nov 5, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Huh?

Never said there won't be "plenty of quality in the first round". Nor did I state next year's draft was weak. What are you on about?

old.jpg

I just stated that there are 17 prospects already tied to clubs (Father-sons and NGA), and that only a few of them need to attract early bids to compromise the top 10 (push back an intial top 10 pick).

It's not a reach to say that pick 7 (at the completion of year's season), could blow-out to pick 10 (or higher) on draft night.

Just take a look at this year. Adelaide's pick 3, will most likely be pick 5 (due to the Sun's PP and an early bid on Tom Green). None of this was know when the trade with Carlton was lodged last year.
Dream on. Your first pick next year won't be anywhere near as weak as you're desperately hoping after this trade.

Two Planks

Norm Smith Medallist
May 14, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Port may be thinking that they will be trading back into the top 10 next year anyway if Wines is truly looking to leave.

Suit

All Australian
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
• UCI: MTS, LTS • F1: DR, CL, MV
Dream on. Your first pick next year won't be anywhere near as weak as you're desperately hoping after this trade.

Haha, great retort. Please point me to where I said I agreed with this trade, or that I believed Port are (or will be) the 'winners' of the trade.

That's right, I didn't! So, before the next time you post, how about you get your facts straight.

Look, on the surface of this trade, Brisbane are the clear winners. However, by this time next year it could very well be a win-win trade where both clubs are left pleased.

IMHO, the Lions can't 'lose' this trade unless Port have a ripper season (lol), which is unlikely. It's a risky move made by Port, and it could massively blow up in the Club's face. However, at least that will lead to the silver-lining of Hinkley being sent to the abyss.

Edit: typo
Edit2: I'm an idiot

Last edited:

Bennie the Nurse

Senior List
Dec 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Talking about trading future 1st rounders when there is a distinct possibility of finishing bottom 6.
Port have a number of F/S and NGA available to them next season. Two of whom are likely to be bid on in the first round selections, so as long as Port has a bank of points = smart trading.

May 31, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Wow Port supporters having a lower expectation for 2020 than the neutrals

there is a hard core of negative posters on the port board, who have a weird obsession with running the club down. Basically they flood the threads with repeats of the same message. Eg. one of them is just about to rank up 1000 posts saying repeatedly that ken hinkley should not be coach. So there you are......

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Haha, great retort. Please point me to where I said I agreed with this trade, or that I believed Port are (or will be) the 'winners' of the trade.

That's right, I didn't! So, before the next time you post, how about you get your facts straight.

Look, on the surface of this trade, Brisbane are the clear winners. However, by this time next year it could very well be a win-win trade where both clubs are left pleased.

IMHO, the Lions can't 'lose' this trade unless they have a Melbourne 2019 like season, which is unlikely. It's a risky move made by Port, and it could massively blow up in the Club's face. However, at least that will lead to the silver-lining of Hinkley being sent to the abyss.

Edit:typo

How would this effect the trade ?? Brisbane have not given up a pick next year

Back