List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Port have played this one beautifully:

1. Increased their capital in order to trade up into the top 10.

2. If it doesn’t eventuate, they still have a very strategically placed hand in the first round ahead of Geelong (who they are competing with for similar players).

3. Trades out of what would be a watered down 2020 draft to speed up their rebuild.

4. Know that they have the assets to trade back into the 2020 first (and second) rounds if needed.

Freo are trading pick 7 to Port for 2 picks between 12- 20.
Port most likely want Stephens with pick 7

This leaves Freo with pick 10 after our pick 9, therefore good chance Robertson available at our pick.
I can’t see that at all. Liam Henry bid would likely suck those teen picks in whereas pick 7 will be before any bid.

Through the course of the year I was led to believe by the recruiting gurus around here that 2019 draft was very shallow, yet I now get the impression that there’s going to be some decent talent around our pick 9.

Have things changed or did we underestimate the talent earlier in the year?

Through the course of the year I was led to believe by the recruiting gurus around here that 2019 draft was very shallow, yet I now get the impression that there’s going to be some decent talent around our pick 9.

Pretty much everyone agrees this year's top 10 is nowhere near as strong as last year's (but last year's was insane).

Also, this year there seems to be a pretty even group between 4-12.

So while the overall top end quality isn't amazing, pick 9 should get talent pretty close to to pick 4.

So while the overall top end quality isn't amazing, pick 9 should get talent pretty close to to pick 4.

Incidentally.... Props to any team that downgraded from pick 4 to 9 with an extra player thrown in....

Incidentally.... Props to any team that downgraded from pick 4 to 9 with an extra player thrown in....

I'm hoping Young Reid gets left with Pick 4(which will most likely be Pick 5 on the night).

Straight easy match up to deathride:

Pick 4

V

A ripped Stocker + Pick 9.

This is nothing like last year's top 10, but it's hardly a wash.

It's also important to remember that sometimes draft pools are strong because there's less issues with potential players, as opposed to a lower ceiling in weaker drafts. Sometimes players have a couple of elite abilities that translate well, and there's a plenty like that in the top 50 in this draft, without having too many rock-solid recruits who will have a solid minimum standard.

With talent ID and development coming along in leaps and bounds these days, both in the junior pathways and in the league, you're hard pressed to be disappointed with a top 40 in any draft.

I'm hoping Young Reid gets left with Pick 4(which will most likely be Pick 5 on the night).

Straight easy match up to deathride:

Pick 4

V

A ripped Stocker + Pick 9.
Yep....and if Demons select Jackson at pick #3 like rumoured, and GWS matching a bid on Green, that means Cows have pick 5 and we have pick 9 (assuming no trades).

Players available after pick 4 include:

Hayden Young
Sam Flanders
Caleb Serong
Lachlan Ash
Brodie Kemp
Dylan Stephens
Deven Robertson

You could probably throw a blanket over most of them right now, so pick 5 to pick 9 doesn't make a lot of difference....except we just happen to have a young 'beast' by the name of Liam Stocker already wearing the navy blue. This kid could be a gem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The strength and depth of a draft isn’t properly known until late in the year. Over the years there have been early calls of it being a weak draft year only to get to the end of year and hear recruiters say it’s a good draft.

This happens all the time because a lot of young players develop late. An little known player in April can become a top prospect by September.

Once the season is over the real analysis begins and the quality of the draft is really teased out.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is nothing like last year's top 10, but it's hardly a wash.

It's also important to remember that sometimes draft pools are strong because there's less issues with potential players, as opposed to a lower ceiling in weaker drafts. Sometimes players have a couple of elite abilities that translate well, and there's a plenty like that in the top 50 in this draft, without having too many rock-solid recruits who will have a solid minimum standard.

With talent ID and development coming along in leaps and bounds these days, both in the junior pathways and in the league, you're hard pressed to be disappointed with a top 40 in any draft.
I agree with this statement, and some may even slip beyond that, but you still need to be able to read what clubs are going to do and be well positioned to get the players you've identified. We just don't have the picks this year to try to prioritise getting the perfect players to slot right into our best 22, as it now stands. We should approach it as gathering depth to build a stronger club via competition for spots in the side.

4-12 you may say is even but after the top 3 Young then Flanders are pretty consistently put next. Adelaide are in a good spot.
Jackson will be taken for type anywhere from 3. So the top 12 is more like 3-2-1-6. Two of those latter 6 have been talked down a bit here lately, two will be gone at 7 & 8.
If circumstances allowed us to move up to 6 as counterparty to a gws points play I'd be up for it, just as I'd look for opportunities to split and go the other way.

4-12 you may say is even but after the top 3 Young then Flanders are pretty consistently put next. Adelaide are in a good spot.
Jackson will be taken for type anywhere from 3. So the top 12 is more like 3-2-1-6. Two of those latter 6 have been talked down a bit here lately, two will be gone at 7 & 8.
If circumstances allowed us to move up to 6 as counterparty to a gws points play I'd be up for it, just as I'd look for opportunities to split and go the other way.
Hi SB. I appreciate your comment re 3-2-1-6. That helps me. I'm no footy nuffie, but when I've tried to do a best 22 for 2020 I find I feel like I'm leaving someone out in backs and mids, but wondering about fwds. Overall I feel we are starting to get depth, including with younger players (although there will be some significant retirements in the next couple of years). So, from my point of view I can see the point in keeping 9, or if circumstances are good of even trading around pick 9.
When it comes to splitting pick 9 for some later picks, I am thankful for live trading of picks. At the moment I would prefer to keep 9 or thereabouts, unless there is some other amazing deal that is heavily in our favour.

I havent really followed this years crop much because i always assumed we would trade away our first pick.. anyhoot, here we are and looking at the top prospects and our needs I think we will take Luke Jackson, seems a great prospects and is good insurance in case TDK and Pittonet dont come on to replace MK.

I havent really followed this years crop much because i always assumed we would trade away our first pick.. anyhoot, here we are and looking at the top prospects and our needs I think we will take Luke Jackson, seems a great prospects and is good insurance in case TDK and Pittonet dont come on to replace MK.

Jackson won't make it to us.

I can’t see that at all. Liam Henry bid would likely suck those teen picks in whereas pick 7 will be before any bid.

Say after a trade with Port, Freo end up with picks 10, 12, 19

We bid on Henry at pick 9

Freo use pick 10 on Henry, wouldn't there pick 12 just slide back a few spots. They don't lose it altogether?

So they could take Henry, Rivers, Taylor.

Whereas if they keep pick 7 & 10, they only end up with 2 players Robertson & Henry.

I have seen a handful of phantom drafts and most have him ranked between 9 - 14, only one suggested Melbourne might take him with pick 3 but i would say that is unlikely.

I won't guarantee Jackson is gone by our pick, but I'd very surprised if he lasted.

He is a rare talent for a ruck. Guys like him don't come around too often. But teams are gun shy on taking rucks super early. He has been listed around the 10-15 for most of the year.

IMO he is who Melb traded into #8 for. I think he is who GWS traded up to get before a Green bid. And he's the reason Melb seem reluctant to trade #3 to GWS. I also think Syd would probably take him if he was available.

There are some jungle drums calling for Melb to pick him at #3. And it's got that kind of 'late mail' feel that it is basically locked in.

Jackson just doesn’t fit at Carlton. Especially if we see TDK as a ruck.

There simply is not enough opportunity to carry 4 rucks with 3 of them under 24.

If he does last to 9 I hope we trade the pick as there are clubs who would love him and who would be prepared to pay for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back