Australian 1st Test Team v Pakistan

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt he would have played anyway but unless it is like racial or whatever then play on. We are going to end up with people in test cricket that can't cope when the Poms or Saffers call them a few names.
Tom Rockliff likes this :rolleyes:

Still better than Bancroft's shield average of 10.
Bancroft had the best average of our openers in England. He's also a way better fielder than Harris and can eat up balls better than Harris. One thing Bangers did do in England was face a decent amount of balls, he didn't score any runs but at least he blunted the opening attack a bit. The same can't be said for Warner or Harris.

And on the fielding, he alone accounted for at least 1 wicket, maybe 2. Harris is a pretty average fielder from what I've seen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not backing Bangers in or anything, but if it came down to purely Harris vs Bancroft I think so far Bancroft adds more to the team than Harris does. I don't think either deserve to be in the team right now tbh.

Bancroft had the best average of our openers in England.
As the rest of your comment implied, this is like choosing the world's tallest dwarf to be your basketball centre.

The problem with picking Bancroft is he has struggled just as much in Australia as he did in the Ashes, whilst others came back and have made runs in Australia.

This suggests Bancroft is either s**t or a major technical flaw has been exposed

First time I’d ever agree with Geoff Lawson who suggested cancelling the Shield if it’s now pointless and all that matters is being mates with the coach

The problem with picking Bancroft is he has struggled just as much in Australia as he did in the Ashes, whilst others came back and have made runs in Australia.

This suggests Bancroft is either s**t or a major technical flaw has been exposed

First time I’d ever agree with Geoff Lawson who suggested cancelling the Shield if it’s now pointless and all that matters is being mates with the coach

I'm not a Bancroft fan but who else is there?

Harris- dreadful in the Ashes, poor in the A game
Khawaja- dead set struggling to hit it off the square
Renshaw- no runs
Dan hughes- wasn't picked in the A Game
Street- too early

Honestly who else is there? Batting stocks are terrible

Renshaw- no runs
Street- too early

Harris was still Australia’s best batsman of n the Indian series last summer and has been making shield runs
Khawaja did make hundreds in the OD comp and has a far superior test record, especially in Australia

Bancroft- no runs in England or Australia...

Harris was still Australia’s best batsman of n the Indian series last summer and has been making shield runs
Khawaja did make hundreds in the OD comp and has a far superior test record, especially in Australia

Bancroft- no runs in England or Australia...

Burns is going to play though, and you can't say that's a wrong call, he did make runs in his last stint. You are debating a backup batsman and that's it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burns is going to play though, and you can't say that's a wrong call, he did make runs in his last stint. You are debating a backup batsman and that's it.

Yet as we saw in The Ashes, it’s a lot more important role these days. A knock to the head or a rolled ankle in fielding drills pre match and he’s in. Plus it shows if someone drops off, he is the next cab off the rank, so it’s more than just a drinks carrier, it’s a sign of spots for the boys continuing under Langer.

Yet as we saw in The Ashes, it’s a lot more important role these days. A knock to the head or a rolled ankle in fielding drills pre match and he’s in. Plus it shows if someone drops off, he is the next cab off the rank, so it’s more than just a drinks carrier, it’s a sign of spots for the boys continuing under Langer.

Can always call someone in if need be. Bancroft does cover a few more positions.

The justification seems valid enough. Bancroft is more versatile, could take the gloves, and is a far superior fielder. Why not pick him as the spare man?

In the 95% chance he isn't used as a sub, he offers a lot more than Harris and other alternatives.

The only problem I have with Pope is he over-bowls his wrong-un to the degree that his leggie loses potency. The same thing happened to Tony Mann who everyone predicted to be a regular Test bowler when he was Pope's age. Top class leggies use their wrong-un sparingly.
100%. In his debut shield match I think 6 or his 7 first innings wickets were from his wrongun. In the 2nd innings the Qlders basically sat back and waited for the wrongun to pick it off, think he ended up with 0/100.

100%. In his debut shield match I think 6 or his 7 first innings wickets were from his wrongun. In the 2nd innings the Qlders basically sat back and waited for the wrongun to pick it off, think he ended up with 0/100.
Leg spinner still has to be your most dangerous ball.

Renshaw- no runs
Street- too early

Doolan just made twin tons opening the batting scored over 400 runs averaging 60 odd...i know he has been tried before and getting on but i would back him over bangers at this stage

Doolan just made twin tons opening the batting scored over 400 runs averaging 60 odd...i know he has been tried before and getting on but i would back him over bangers at this stage

Going back to Doolan just NO! At least Bancroft is an elite fielder.

The justification seems valid enough. Bancroft is more versatile, could take the gloves, and is a far superior fielder. Why not pick him as the spare man?

In the 95% chance he isn't used as a sub, he offers a lot more than Harris and other alternatives.

To be fair the keeping part is irrelevant with Wade in this side, unless he actually was a better keeper which he isn’t.

To be fair the keeping part is irrelevant with Wade in this side, unless he actually was a better keeper which he isn’t.

Still covers more positions and that is what you want as a reserve bat. Can open, can bat in the middle order (where personally I feel he's suited) and in an emergency can keep. Saves them having 3 players on standby and these players can play some cricket in the meantime

Going back to Doolan just NO! At least Bancroft is an elite fielder.
509911a7908c8617f76335b71aed5e68.gif

5ba7fe58399e81dcdcf106b32a932d05.gif

Still covers more positions and that is what you want as a reserve bat. Can open, can bat in the middle order (where personally I feel he's suited) and in an emergency can keep. Saves them having 3 players on standby and these players can play some cricket in the meantime
Has not really batted much in the middle order except in limited overs games though tbh. Just happened to top score for Aus A batting at 6 the other day.

Don't get me wrong I don't think he's terrible for the role but I'm just pointing out he's not really a keeper and his first class experience in the middle order is limited.

I guess finding a guy who has actually batted opener and middle order consistently would be nearly impossible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back