Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest episode hot off production!

Who are the most notorious "cult" forwards in Carlton history? We argue who might fill the forward six spots of our Carlton Cult 22 Team and discuss the latest Blues news.

What did we get right or who'd we miss?

I'll give you 6 - earl, pearce, fev, buzz, soapy & tiger........

Murphy clearly is enjoying his footy a lot more since standing down as captain. He was the right leader for us during a time of great turmoil, his own game suffered a bit, but he kept a level and wise head for the young kids as we kept getting smashed by a suitcase every week.
Don't agree. Simpson would've been a much better choice. Captaincy didn't come naturally to him and was probably the wrong choice in the end. Malthouse mentioned several times just how much development he actually needed in that area.

I could be wrong but wasn't one of the reasons it was given to Murph over Simpson because of Simpsons age? Thinking he only had a couple of years left? If only they knew!

Could be for those who are hard of hearing. They should subtitle every clip.

It was odd wasn't it?
Maybe there's a perfectly good reason for doing so.....I just can't think of one though.
Hard at hearing? Turn the volume up higher.

Eddie does have a bit of a lisp of sorts, but he's hardly speaking Russian here.

It was odd wasn't it?
Maybe there's a perfectly good reason for doing so.....I just can't think of one though.

Eddie does have a bit of a lisp of sorts, but he's hardly speaking Russian here.
Hey mate I’ve noticed more and more clips have subtitles. Even McGovern’s recent one too. I don’t think there’s anything untoward about it.
As someone who is hard of hearing, unfortunately it’s not a matter of simply turning the volume up. In the education system there’s a push for all audio/visual resources to have subtitles as it makes them more universally accessible.

Hey mate I’ve noticed more and more clips have subtitles. Even McGovern’s recent one too. I don’t think there’s anything untoward about it.
As someone who is hard of hearing, unfortunately it’s not a matter of simply turning the volume up. In the education system there’s a push for all audio/visual resources to have subtitles as it makes them more universally accessible.

I'm confident it wasn't set out to be untoward. Just throwing it around
I missed the McGovern one, so maybe it is something that may become more pronounced but for who? The hard at hearing?

They should have subtitles on Teagues pressers but use the subtitles to convey what he meant as opposed to what he said.
You certainly needed them for Lyon at Fremantle. :)

EDIT: Yesterdays McGovern interview doesn't have subtitles, or at least not on the clubs website.

It was odd wasn't it?

Nothing sinister.

Just couldn't hear him over Mebby's squealing.

What's with Betts requiring to be subtitled in his interview?
Doesn't he speak English?

What an odd choice for our media department to drop that in.

Unless is was some kind of SNAFU... seems you can do multiple versions of videos for FB now where one is 'normal' and the other plays automatically as you scroll past without sound and subtitles rolling. Perhaps they somehow ended up with the two versions being merged. Hopefully it's something along those lines...

I'll give you 6 - earl, pearce, fev, buzz, soapy & tiger........
Very close to the mark. 50% strike rate. We're 80's babies so our list is a bit more contemporary than what would have been ideal. May have to discuss the names we haven't added to the next show.

Sticks may have inspired a mullet or two
Yep. Couldn't go past him.

It was odd wasn't it?

Deaf people can’t just turn the volume up Harker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very close to the mark. 50% strike rate. We're 80's babies so our list is a bit more contemporary than what would have been ideal. May have to discuss the names we haven't added to the next show.

Yep. Couldn't go past him.
Eddie may get a run as well ...

Don't agree. Simpson would've been a much better choice. Captaincy didn't come naturally to him and was probably the wrong choice in the end. Malthouse mentioned several times just how much development he actually needed in that area.

I could be wrong but wasn't one of the reasons it was given to Murph over Simpson because of Simpsons age? Thinking he only had a couple of years left? If only they knew!

I'm not so sure - Simmo's a grouchy introvert, I love the bloke for his work on the footy field, but I'm not sure he'd have been any better a skip than Murph.

I'm not so sure - Simmo's a grouchy introvert, I love the bloke for his work on the footy field, but I'm not sure he'd have been any better a skip than Murph.

Agree. Fact is we had zero good captaincy options at the time. An indictment on the whole club and stemmed from all these guys brought up under leaders like Fev, Whitnall, Stevens, Scotland, Houlihan etc. And then continually recruiting guys with no leadership over a long period.

Doc and Cripps really are the beginnings of the proper onfield rebuild. Weiters, Walsh and whoever else genuinely leads will add to it. I personally am keen to add Deven Robertson to our core of leaders/drivers for the next 10/12 years. More leadership the better to create a lasting culture of growth and performance.

Plus Simmo spends team meetings knitting and drinking horlicks.

At least that's what I heard here....

:)

Subtitles is a very odd thing to take issue with.

Who cares?

If it helps a wider audience access or understand the content, brilliant.

I have seen lots of docos/shows subtitle persons very selectively.

Sometimes there is a genuine language barrier. Sometimes it is 'this guy is not white'.

The first one is cool. The second one is not....

EB19Nov18H.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back