2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What I dont get about this is why Port havent asked for a future late round pick back from us? They get some extra points for their academy/FS in 2020 etc. In the current play we take very little risk and high reward whereas Port take a moderate risk for moderate reward. I guess Port must have been the ones driving this trade and we negiotiated it down to favour us strongly. Port probably have another play in mind for their other mid teens picks.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
St Kilda and Melbourne both have short draft hands this year, and an extra 4th round pick in 2020, so it’s possible Port could trade their excess 2019 4th round picks to St Kilda for future picks.

Port will need those points next year for their to academy and FS kids.
I thought you weren't allowed to trade future later round picks if you've already traded your future first (and vice versa).

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I agree in general but want to dig in to one specific angle...

Draft value and figuring out what we got the equivalent in points doesn't really work if you're factoring in what potential bids might shift the pick around. In that scenario either way we'd get at least the 19th best player we have available to us. Whether that's pick 19 or pick 25 (due to bidding) doesn't matter - bidding doesn't affect the value of that pick with regards to "points".
I haven’t fully thought it through, but my concern with the “new” rule of clubs being allowed to trade picks while there is a bid in the system, further dilutes the available draft pool.

Example. Bulldogs hold picks 13, 45, 49 and 67. A bid comes for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan. Instead of using 13 and 45 and 100 odd points from pick 49 to pay for the bid, Bulldogs trade 13 and 67 to Fremantle for picks 21 and 25, which cover the bid in its entirety, and keeps 45 and 49 intact, as they have two more kids later in next years draft as well.

Clubs will be incentivised to trade up and get ahead, or trade back and accumulate extra points, which to me means there will be very little matching of early bids with later first round picks.

In 2020 instead of pick 16 being pushed back to pick 19, it will be pushed back to pick 21.

Unless it’s an incredibly deep first round, picks in the mid to late first round might become the least sort after/wanted/valued picks in a draft.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I thought you weren't allowed to trade future later round picks if you've already traded your future first (and vice versa).
I think (and I could be wrong on this) if you hold multiple picks in a round, you can still trade out one of those picks, as long as you keep one pick in each round.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
What I dont get about this is why Port havent asked for a future late round pick back from us? They get some extra points for their academy/FS in 2020 etc. In the current play we take very little risk and high reward whereas Port take a moderate risk for moderate reward. I guess Port must have been the ones driving this trade and we negiotiated it down to favour us strongly. Port probably have another play in mind for their other mid teens picks.
I’m guessing Port were the instigators of the trade, and we put the onus on them to trade out their excess picks for future picks.

I’m also guessing Port want to use all three picks to fast track their rebuild.

My guess is they have specific targets in mind.

McAsey and Josh Worrell with their first two picks. They get to bring over two Sandringham KPP’s, hopefully lessening the go home factor.

With their third, maybe Pickett or Taheny.

Match a bid on Mead with their last 3 picks. Move two of those picks in to the rookie draft and pick two local SA kids or a couple of delisted free agents.

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As mentioned, this must be Port driven, Brissy is not the type of club to rip off other sides (and I am very thankful of that).

Got to like the trade, unlike last year where we took the majority of the risk, this one seems well in our favor.

I can’t see them finishing above the Tigers, Pies, Giants or Eagles at all. I also see little reason why us, the Bulldogs and Cats we drop below them either.

On the other end of the ladder, I’d only have Gold Coast and Adelaide as-near certainties to finish lower, with the Saints and North as highly likely too.

Should be a good death ride, projecting anywhere between 5-11.

I’m guessing Port were the instigators of the trade, and we put the onus on them to trade out their excess picks for future picks.

I’m also guessing Port want to use all three picks to fast track their rebuild.

My guess is they have specific targets in mind.

McAsey and Josh Worrell with their first two picks. They get to bring over two Sandringham KPP’s, hopefully lessening the go home factor.

With their third, maybe Pickett or Taheny.

Match a bid on Mead with their last 3 picks. Move two of those picks in to the rookie draft and pick two local SA kids or a couple of delisted free agents.

You’d think it Port, seems too in our favor not too be.

I wonder how much the success of Rozee, Butters and Durrsma has had in their want to bring in another 3 players in the same draft again.

Considering their season last year, I think blooding those 3, saved them from a heap more media scrutiny. Wonder if their going down the dam path to buy themselves another 12 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Football I get but what's expensive about cycling?

Disclaimer: not a cyclist.
Ummmmm I have two bikes, each the price of a small car.

My wife is getting me a new cycling computer for Xmas that costs almost as much as a new iPhone.

Football is the cheap interest. It just takes up half my day.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
Football I get but what's expensive about cycling?

Disclaimer: not a cyclist.
When it comes to serious road cycling, everything.
Ummmmm I have two bikes, each the price of a small car.

My wife is getting me a new cycling computer for Xmas that costs almost as much as a new iPhone.

Football is the cheap interest. It just takes up half my day.
It never ends. I've got the decent bike but no now I apparently need a power meter that costs about 1/4 of what the bike did in the first place. Then you need the upgraded wheelset and the ridiculously expensive lightweight climbing bike and the aero bike and so on and so on o_O

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

It never ends. I've got the decent bike but no now I apparently need a power meter that costs about 1/4 of what the bike did in the first place. Then you need the upgraded wheelset and the ridiculously expensive lightweight climbing bike and the aero bike and so on and so on o_O
I know right. A new pair of road shoes cost about the same as a lions membership in 67.

I stopped at the climbing bike.

Unfortunately I bought it after I did Ventoux, Alpe d’Huez and Col Du Galibier on the aero bike. :drunk:

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I know right. A new pair of road shoes cost about the same as a lions membership in 67.

I stopped at the climbing bike.

Unfortunately I bought it after I did Ventoux, Alpe d’Huez and Col Du Galibier on the aero bike. :drunk:

The correct number of bikes to own is N+1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back