Not open for further replies.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
As expected, this pick swap will continue to be intertwined for a couple/few years

I think trading back for an extra future 1st is a sound strategy, even in a compromised draft, where that GWS pick could end up being in the mid 20's

Lukosius will be their target next season with 2 x first round selections.

Watch this space.

Lukosius will be their target next season with 2 x first round selections.

Watch this space.

No need for the first round picks.

Luko is out of contract - if the Crows have a bad enough year they might be lucky enough to get him for free. No doubt the Suns will be keen to once again stand up against the bullying of the other clubs across the competition....

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
No need for the first round picks.

Luko is out of contract - if the Crows have a bad enough year they might be lucky enough to get him for free. No doubt the Suns will be keen to once again stand up against the bullying of the other clubs across the competition....

It does sound like the Suns ruffled a few feathers during the trade period.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Not a hope in hell they get him. Don't be surprised he comes to Victoria

That would make things interesting. Could see some pretty fierce competition for his services. Maybe a Tom Boyd type contract could be on the cards.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Guess the death riding thing gives the cow supporters something to do for another year...hope grubbos got his fun facts about gws ready...considering how young that team is he may struggle to maintain the rage.
Couple still think that Stocker will be a bust, they should look at their own drafting over the last three years.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Adelaide have gained Pick 6 and a 2020 1st Rounder (Pick 20+) for a cost of Liam Stocker, Pick 9 and Pick 4? I am sorry but that is many things but a great result for Adelaide? Nope!

They have literally traded themselves into a corner. But hey, we did say we would be happy if our pick swap this year was 3 picks apart. :p

Last edited:

The Grover

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Adelaide have gained Pick 6 and a 2020 1st Rounder (Pick 20+) for a cost of Liam Stocker, Pick 9 and Pick 4? I am sorry but that is many things but a great result for Adelaide? Nope!

They have literally traded themselves into a corner. But hey, we did say we would be happy if our pick swap this year was 3 picks apart. :p
This was discussed in another thread, but they only ever owned pick 4 or 9 not both.

If the trade with Carlton was never done, they would only have got Stocker + Pick 9.

Now they end up with Pick 6 & GWS 1st 2020

They butchered the original trade, then got lucky with the GWS pick

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
This was discussed in another thread, but they only ever owned pick 4 or 9 not both.

If the trade with Carlton was never done, they would only have got Stocker + Pick 9.

Now they end up with Pick 6 & GWS 1st 2020

They butchered the original trade, then got lucky with the GWS pick

I think they should have just held onto Pick 4 IMO. An extra 2020 pick is nice but a 20-25 pick is still risky. I don’t know, maybe that is just me.

The Grover

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I think they should have just held onto Pick 4 IMO. An extra 2020 pick is nice but a 20-25 pick is still risky. I don’t know, maybe that is just me.
I get your view and if they miss out on who they wanted at pick 4 with pick 6 then thats not great.

I think they made a big stuff up with Carlton trade & might have rectified that with this trade.

Still comes back to who both clubs select.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Upgrading 9 to 6 this year is either a breakeven (if the player they want would have been available at 9 anyway), or a definite positive (if the 3 spot upgrade lands them a preferred player they would otherwise have missed out on).

Delaying Pick 19 from 2018 to GWS's first rounder in 2020 is, probably, a loss. But you can't really judge it now, there are too many unknowns. It's a pick in a weaker draft, and they lose two years of development time. But it comes in a year where they'll be chasing after Lukosius, so could end up being a really handy bargaining chip. And while it's easy to assume it will be Pick 20-25, there's no guarantee GWS make the GF again next year. They could have another bad run with injury, or do what Adelaide and Melbourne did and have a really poor year off the back of a disappointing finals exit. Also don't know how clubs will approach the academy bids next year. Depending on the placement of those bids, you might see clubs matching with first rounders anyway, which won't have any affect on a later first round pick. Wait and see on this one. I think Adelaide have clawed back some ground on the poor trade they made last year, and depending on what happens in 2020 they may break even or come out in a really good position for a rebuilding club.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Upgrading 9 to 6 this year is either a breakeven (if the player they want would have been available at 9 anyway), or a definite positive (if the 3 spot upgrade lands them a preferred player they would otherwise have missed out on).

Delaying Pick 19 from 2018 to GWS's first rounder in 2020 is, probably, a loss. But you can't really judge it now, there are too many unknowns. It's a pick in a weaker draft, and they lose two years of development time. But it comes in a year where they'll be chasing after Lukosius, so could end up being a really handy bargaining chip. And while it's easy to assume it will be Pick 20-25, there's no guarantee GWS make the GF again next year. They could have another bad run with injury, or do what Adelaide and Melbourne did and have a really poor year off the back of a disappointing finals exit. Also don't know how clubs will approach the academy bids next year. Depending on the placement of those bids, you might see clubs matching with first rounders anyway, which won't have any affect on a later first round pick. Wait and see on this one. I think Adelaide have clawed back some ground on the poor trade they made last year, and depending on what happens in 2020 they may break even or come out in a really good position for a rebuilding club.

Adelaide have certainly shifted a potentially bad trade into a trade that has a lot more potential to break even.

I still find the difference between the Carlton trade and a trade such as the Adelaide trade is the fact we knew exactly which player was available at pick 19.
Pick 19 was more about Stocker being there than the position of the draft.

GWS - I would assume a top 6 finish, closer to top 4 in my eyes.
Academy bids before GWS selection would be around 2-5, so that should drift out their selection a little.

ajb72

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Well done to the teams and make a lot of sense the trade with GWS.

Obviously they have some smarts, and went to GWS telling them they were considering Greene.
The trade gives GWS two bites at the cherry and gives the crows another first rounder, even if it is a later pick next year.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Adelaide end up with pick 6 this year and a pick around 16 - 20 next year (after father sons and academy picks).
We end up with pick 9 this year and Stocker.
Looks pretty even at this stage.
Good trading by Adelaide to get the first rounder next year.

No doubt this trade will be re-visited in 5 or so years time when all the players have been selected and played a minimum of 4-5 years.

In all reality, I just want Stocker to force his way in to our best 22 as a midfielder this year and to nail pick 9 so that we have picked up two quality long-term players, regardless of who Adelaide pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back