Traded GWS trade #6 and future R1 pick (tied to GWS) to Adelaide for #4

Remove this Banner Ad

I think both teams won.

Adelaide got a basically free first rounder next year.

GWS got a free top five pick this year, basically turning pick 17 next year into pick 5 this year.

I think the system needs an overhaul, but right after we pick up a free 1st rounder next year please

May have already been discussed but how are GWS going to match a bid on Green at pick 5? I mean the Swans will make the bid and GWS will need 1502 points to match that bid.

GWS have pick 40, 59 and 60 which equals a total of 733 points.

That means they are 769 points short, and they just gave away their first pick in 2020.

Are they allowed to use picks 40, 59, 60 of this draft and a pick that will likely be 35 (502 points) in next years draft (their 2nd rounder) not to mention likely their 3rd rounder of 2020 just to get Green?
I explained it on page 3.

But basically yes, GWS have enough points with this years and next years late picks to match a bid on Green at pick 5, and still have enough residual points to match a bid on Delahunty at pick 46.

They can even draft a delisted free agent such as Nick Robertson with their last pick in this years draft.

In theory their 2020 picks will be the last 4 picks in next years draft, but we know with trading players for picks, and trading future picks etc, GWS will still have a passable draft hand next year after they pay off their draft debt.

and it seems very likely GWS don't even want Green as they seem to have traded in a way where they can no longer get Green, or getting him will be very tough. If Melbourne bid on Green it sounds like GWS won't match, so Melbourne would be crazy to bid unless they very much want him.

To me it looks like GWS have done this because they want a player they think will be available at 4 who would not be available at 6.
GWS are essentially calling Melbourne’s bluff.

And they’ll have a contingency trade in the background if Melbourne do bid.

Say Brisbane’s picks 21 and 29 plus future first round pick for pick 4 and 59.

21 and 29 pay for Green. And they get back a future first round pick.

Other teams could and would probably offer something better for pick 4.

Gold Coast would probably offer 15, 20 and 2020 pick 11 for pick 4 and 40 this year.

Heck Brisbane probably offers Gold Coast 29 and 34 for pick 20 and 59 from GWS. Gold Coast then trade picks 15, 34 and future pick 11, and go to the draft with picks 1, 2, 4 and 29.

Net result GWS still get Green, and have upgraded their 2020 to pick 11.

GWS are essentially calling Melbourne’s bluff.

Gold Coast would probably offer 15, 20 and 2020 pick 11 for pick 4 and 40 this year.

Heck Brisbane probably offers Gold Coast 29 and 34 for pick 20 and 59 from GWS. Gold Coast then trade picks 15, 34 and future pick 11, and go to the draft with picks 1, 2, 4 and 29.

Net result GWS still get Green, and have upgraded their 2020 to pick 11.

This would be the most likely retreat if that was their intention

Please don't become one of "those" supporters. I really like you as a poster, but there's nothing more irritating as a fan than hearing "he's destined to be ours". We've heard it year after year with Shiel, Coniglio and Taranto to the Hawks and Kelly to North, I really hope Tigers fans don't jump onto Tom Green in the same manner.

Ben King To saints and Lukousis & rankine to adelaide supporters are the worst

Thats a great response thanks

It’s just a tad unseemly prognosticating of a young player leaving before he is even drafted, even by entitled VFL supporters standards.

His grandfather has history with Richmond and he supports them as a fan but he also wants to make his own name.

Coniglio was a mad WCE supporter, Kelly a mad North supporter, Whitfield a mad Hawthorn supporter. We’ve heard all this BS before, change the record.

It’s just a tad unseemly prognosticating of a young player leaving before he is even drafted, even by entitled VFL supporters standards.

His grandfather has history with Richmond and he supports them as a fan but he also wants to make his own name.

Coniglio was a mad WCE supporter, Kelly a mad North supporter, Whitfield a mad Hawthorn supporter. We’ve heard all this BS before, change the record.

Agree but thinking he would rather make that Name at biggest club in the land where his grandfather is a legend and 4 x premiership player

"even by entitled VFL supporters standards." I do like this though , Can i use it in my Sig

Adelaide's whole rationale and selling point for the pick swap last year was to get a Top 1 to 4 Pick that they have never had before.

I guess Reid just didn't have the confidence in the end to pull the trigger on a Top pick. Instead they've ended up with a more generic pick 7 instead a more generic pick 10. But with the Pick 19 pushed back two years.

Todays deal is a safe way to get back to pretty much square one, but the Top Pick theory got put in the too hard basket or backfired.
Really struggling to see what you're getting at here. They moved back 3 spots (assuming a Sydney bid at 5), stats will tell you that 4 & 7 aren't likely to be world's apart.
With all the scouting done. The draft is still a bit of a lottery. They've got an extra ticket in it.

Also by most reports, After the first few, the draft is meant to be even up to picks 10-12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Melbourne don't bid on Green I can see GWS trading pick 40 for extra 2019 points.
But the teams who would find pick 40 very handy and becoming their first, second or third pick in the draft have SFA later points to trade. (Saints, Eagles, Pies, Bulldogs, Bombers, Blues)
Port would probably be the best bet. They have 12, 16, 18 then could trade in 40 for any combination of 52, 55, 66, 67, 68, 72. Actually would have to occur before the draft as I assume Port don't have enough list spots to take all those picks to the draft.

100% agree.
But go on in this way and it will change to 98% agree.
The thing is the Kid really is a fanatical Richmond supporter and with the Family ties he has i dont care what anybody says that does not go away
Hodge & Bob Murphy have spoken about this at length. What is also reason i think it will get done is the demographic of Richmonds list in 3 years time with players like Riewoldt,Rance,Cotchin all off the books i think we can afford to offer him a nice salary which GWS would struggle with.

But lets see in 3/4 years

The thing is the Kid really is a fanatical Richmond supporter and with the Family ties he has i dont care what anybody says that does not go away
Hodge & Bob Murphy have spoken about this at length. What is also reason i think it will get done is the demographic of Richmonds list in 3 years time with players like Riewoldt,Rance,Cotchin all off the books i think we can afford to offer him a nice salary which GWS would struggle with.

But lets see in 3/4 years
I guess we shall see.

Just a point though everything you said about fanatical etc is all the same things we have heard about a dozen of our players.

I guess we shall see.

Just a point though everything you said about fanatical etc is all the same things we have heard about a dozen of our players.
There is being fanatical as a supporter and also fanatical as a Richmond family member, Just to give an idea

imagine GWS win the next 6 out of 7 flags with Coniglio as captain and his family is for ever attending GWS events and his grandson growing up playing at the highest level as a junior with all this GWS inbuilt into him.

it is different just ask Maurice Rioli Jnr - Kid is mad tiger and cant wait to get to the club

There is being fanatical as a supporter and also fanatical as a Richmond family member, Just to give an idea

imagine GWS win the next 6 out of 7 flags with Coniglio as captain and his family is for ever attending GWS events and his grandson growing up playing at the highest level as a junior with all this GWS inbuilt into him.

it is different just ask Maurice Rioli Jnr - Kid is mad tiger and cant wait to get to the club
As i said. Heard it all before, Even the it's different with our club, and the player has stood strong with our club.

We will see.

Must say, I'm really surprised to read Crows fans being happy with this...

That GWS first rounder, if one is to believe the early reports, could end up blowing way out into the 20s next year.

The Crows gave up 19 in a really strong draft (2018) and ended up with pick 4 instead of pick 9 for the trouble. They then moved back 2 positions, giving up one of the first nibbles at the next rung of about 8-10 players who are reportedly even, to come full circle and probably worse off.

Basically ended up with 6 and 25ish for 9 and 19. Just why? They could have had a better pick in probably a stronger draft and had two years of development into him and just picked 3 spots later in the top 10 this year. Seems like a bizarre set of trades to me.

Must say, I'm really surprised to read Crows fans being happy with this...

That GWS first rounder, if one is to believe the early reports, could end up blowing way out into the 20s next year.

The Crows gave up 19 in a really strong draft (2018) and ended up with pick 4 instead of pick 9 for the trouble. They then moved back 2 positions, giving up one of the first nibbles at the next rung of about 8-10 players who are reportedly even, to come full circle and probably worse off.

Basically ended up with 6 and 25ish for 9 and 19. Just why? They could have had a better pick in probably a stronger draft and had two years of development into him and just picked 3 spots later in the top 10 this year. Seems like a bizarre set of trades to me.
They are probably thinking GWS will fall back lower than a grand final and could end up with a better pick

Also i think they are always going to select Dylan Stephens and he will be available at pick #6 any way

We wanted a crack at Noah Anderson, you guys had a good end to the year so that ended that pursuit. After Green, Anderson and Rowell, you can throw a blanket over the next 7 kids. We most likely have an eye on Stephens (even if we kept pick 4) so moving down to pick 6 should still guarantee us him. McAsey is the other kid we seem keen on. IMO the Carlton and Adelaide trade ended up fairly even. 9 + 19 for pick 4 is fairly even - you guys got the kid you wanted at 19 and we gambled on the chance at Anderson. Didn't work out but we've done well to load up with picks next year too to match our NGA kids and Edwards who may be a 1st rounder next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back