Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Its the middle of the night, I cant sleep and I have trade scenarios constantly going through my head. I know im crazy.

Trade option with Collingwood.

27,50>35, STK future 2nd

From Pies perspective they get to upgrade their 74 to 50 as well as their 35 to 27 for only the cost of a future 2nd which they have 2 of after trading Aish.

For us we downgrade 27 to 35 which I think there isnt that much difference between the players available at those picks and lose 50 which we werent using anyway but pick up a likely mid range 2nd for next year.

With so many fs/acad players in next years pool I envisage a lot of pick trading with some teams wanting to move up the order ala GWS from this year as well as teams wanting to slide back to more point orientated picks. Having an extra 2nd to go with our extra 1st could be advantageous from a trading perspective.

This would leave us with 26,35,47.

Not sure I like that sleepy trade... I feel it drops from around 25 so need to be pushing up rather than slipping much prefer a 22 26 and 50

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its the middle of the night, I cant sleep and I have trade scenarios constantly going through my head. I know im crazy.

27,50>35, STK future 2nd

From Pies perspective they get to upgrade their 74 to 50 as well as their 35 to 27 for only the cost of a future 2nd which they have 2 of after trading Aish.

For us we downgrade 27 to 35 which I think there isnt that much difference between the players available at those picks and lose 50 which we werent using anyway but pick up a likely mid range 2nd for next year.

With so many fs/acad players in next years pool I envisage a lot of pick trading with some teams wanting to move up the order ala GWS from this year as well as teams wanting to slide back to more point orientated picks. Having an extra 2nd to go with our extra 1st could be advantageous from a trading perspective.

I quite like that one. Hadn't looked at Collingwood's picks.

27,50>35, STK future 2nd

I don't particularly like the trade but do like you concocting trades in your sleep.

Fwiw the flexibility of having back to back picks appeals. Imo there's an exponential benefit of being able to plan around taking 2 preferred players when your selections arrive rather than having to predict what another club will do.

Say we like Bianco and De Koning but you have the dogs with a pick in the middle. Suddenly you're having to predict their movements and prioritise which player / player type you're willing to risk leaving in the pool when you call out your 1st pick.

For such a minor placement detail the benefit is potentially quite large.

I am totally uninspired by our draft hand this year. I'm not across this years draft pool but I get the impression that there is no depth and we could very well end up with 3 list cloggers? Did we stuff up by giving away our 1st rounder? Please someone give me some hope.

I am totally uninspired by our draft hand this year. I'm not across this years draft pool but I get the impression that there is no depth and we could very well end up with 3 list cloggers? Did we stuff up by giving away our 1st rounder? Please someone give me some hope.

Nothin' wrong with some objectivity but you can sleep easy sweet speedy.

If we really wanted a top 10 pick this year, we probably could've just kept the one we had.

Clearly we rate the talent pool as even after pick X and felt this along with our list wants and needs meant we could get comparable player(s) later on.

>> Follow the 2019 NAB AFL Draft on Fox Footy from 6.30pm AEDT on Wednesday, November 27 and Thursday, November 28. Not a Foxtel or Kayo subscriber? Cal Twomey, Nat Edwards, Riley Beveridge and Mitch Cleary bring you Draft Night Live on AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App, from 6.30pm AEDT on Wednesday, November 27

When Nat Edwards first got into AFL media work. I wonder if she suspected she'd be the physically strongest person in the room most days?

>> Follow the 2019 NAB AFL Draft on Fox Footy from 6.30pm AEDT on Wednesday, November 27 and Thursday, November 28. Not a Foxtel or Kayo subscriber? Cal Twomey, Nat Edwards, Riley Beveridge and Mitch Cleary bring you Draft Night Live on AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App, from 6.30pm AEDT on Wednesday, November 27

When Nat Edwards first got into AFL media work. I wonder if she suspected she'd be the physically strongest person in the room most days?

Haha. I saw the 4 of them get photographed outside of AFL House a week or 2 ago... You're not far wrong. I thought it was a high school formal.

Specific links:

1574201806388.png

1574201777373.png

Apt user-name... Just hope that especially Ash (but also Young & Flanders) are chosen before the pick we gave away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the top 2 there seems to be some fluctuations with predictions.

Not that Twomey is the be all and end all but he has rated Pickett at 30 yet said he could go at 8. Serong has been high on rating lists yet could get to 12.

Taking Finnegan at face value he’s said we think it’s even so you’ve just got to trust his judgment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

according to the phantom draft pickett and taylor are 29 and 30 yet north with picks 26 & 27 are not even mentioned as a likely destination club for these 2 players... i want them both

Haha. I saw the 4 of them get photographed outside of AFL House a week or 2 ago... You're not far wrong. I thought it was a high school formal.
I’ve chatted with Cal and Shifter at games and both times I thought I was intimidating them as I’m a bit taller and heftier than the both of them haha

Also if anyone follows Cal and his taste in music it’s no suprise to see how he dresses at games, I’d swear his come strait out of a Blur or Oasis music video

Heres my updated mock incorporating info from Twomey's form guide as well as changed for the recent pick swaps.

Rejoice Gould fans I have him sliding to our 1st selection. Our 2nd selection I think is wide open which is the main reason I considered trading it in my recent pick swap post.

1(GC)-Rowell
2(GC)-Anderson
3(MEL)-Jackson
4(GWS)-Young
5(SYD)-Flanders
6(GWS)-Green
7(ADE)-D.Stephens
8(FRE)-Ash
9(MEL)-Serong
10(CAR)-Kemp
11(FRE)-Robertson
12(HAW)-McAsey
13(FRE)-Henry
14(PA)-Pickett
15(WB)-Bergman
16(GEE)-Worrell
17(GC)-Weightman
18(PA)-Day
19(GEE)-C.Stephens
20(PA)-Bianco
21(RIC)-Rivers
22(HAW)-Maginness
23(GC)-Sharp
24(BRI)-Rantall
25(ADE)-De Koning
26(GEE)-Jones
27(SYD)-Taylor
28(NM)-Gould
29(NM)-Williams
30(ADE)-Schoenberg

Last edited:
I'd like Gould as I think he fits the ethos Shaw is attempting to build within the club. I also think his style of play and his general build is a good enough replacement long term for Thompson. His weight for mine is not an issue as he seems to carry it quite well, and he will benefit from being in an elite environment and the fitness regime that brings. Theoretically he has Durdin back there with him, both young South Australians from rural backgrounds, which would benefit his general settling into Victoria. I think he has enough shutdown ability as a defender, and enough rebound potential as well to fit what we are doing and bring an extra bit of mongrel

Sadly I don't think he will get through Adelaide or Geelong. However it will be interesting to keep an eye on SDK, Fisher McAsey and to a lesser extent Nick Bryans (another KPD?) on draft night to see where they fall. It will probably inform where Gould could drop

I don't have really specific desires for our second pick. I think best player available is a good route to take however it's clear we are building a specific type of team for a specific type of game plan and someone who fits that would be best for mine. Pickett obviously fits but I think he will be gone

I'll be pretty happy if we can get one of Rivers, Gould, Bianco or Rantall. SDK, Williams and Mahony all represent good value for a pick in the late 20s too.

Good. I'll be watching that then.

I like Nat Edwards. I think she knows her stuff, is charismatic and she is an attractive specimen - I'm glad her career has grown. I don't know if you're allowed to say that anymore but in my book, that's 3 compliments to 0 sledges so I think I've done well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back