Bluemour Melting Pot XXII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin is worth keeping
The Ah Chee trade is neither here nor there, but why they delisted the contracted Lyons & dug in their heels for an uncontracted player is still something I can't get my head around. Yes Martin is the better of the 3, but he was never staying at the Gold Coast & experience tells us that good List Managers will make sure they get some value for a player who is out the door, rather than nothing at all.

Media reports state that the Suns were sending a message that they were not going to sit by & let other clubs pillage their list, but assuming Martin becomes a Carlton player next week, the message that may well be taken from this is that if a player has checked out of a club, no amount of posturing will prevent that player from leaving.

The Ah Chee trade is neither here nor there, but why they delisted the contracted Lyons & dug in their heels for an uncontracted player is still something I can't get my head around. Yes Martin is the better of the 3, but he was never staying at the Gold Coast & experience tells us that good List Managers will make sure they get some value for a player who is out the door, rather than nothing at all.

Media reports state that the Suns were sending a message that they were not going to sit by & let other clubs pillage their list, but assuming Martin becomes a Carlton player next week, the message that may well be taken from this is that if a player has checked out of a club, no amount of posturing will prevent that player from leaving.
No one ever accused them of running the club in a professional manner

Nah. Things change. Calmer heads prevail. All it takes is one previously unscheduled meeting, sitting down, putting all of the issues out there, putting ego to the side, realising that you're all trying to achieve the same or similar common goals and empathy.

Believe it or not but the hardest thing there is agreeing to sit down. You'd be surprised to see just how quickly the other stuff can resolve itself once that happens. Takes humility to take the first step.

I agree, just so out of character for him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Of course they can. Both Hartley and Martin did on 11 November which was the date players are able to. They don't become free agents though.

Re permission to train I imagine if Carlton and Martin sought permission then he'd be training at Carlton now. I've seen nothing to suggest the AFL refused it or that Carlton sought it.

Mate, enough of that. This is not how it works around here. Those pesky Administrators at AFL hate Carlton and will stop at nothing to halt our rise up the ladder.. 😳

Am I doing it right??

Last edited:
Of course they can. Both Hartley and Martin did on 11 November which was the date players are able to. They don't become free agents though.

Re permission to train I imagine if Carlton and Martin sought permission then he'd be training at Carlton now. I've seen nothing to suggest the AFL refused it or that Carlton sought it.
Can anyone imagine the media circus from the Victorian vultures leading up to the PSD, Jack would have to deal with a microphone shoved in his face every waking second. Waiting until the actual acquisition and dealing with the media in a controlled, one off exercise is surely more beneficial to Martin. Doesn't strike me as a media performer young Jack. By waiting until the drafting is fact, not supposition, it alleviates so many probing questions re Gold Coast, relationships and the like.

The only issue that may arise is the risk of Teague micro managing to be across every aspect of the footy department. This is poor practice in any managerial role and runs the risk of isolating people who are very good at their role but, they feel they have been usurped by the ubiquitous manager. Seems to be a few crossed wires at the moment without adding to the complexities. I would have thought that SOS or Agresta would be across this stuff.
I don't see Teaguey as the micromanaging type. However, he does need to be over the type of player we add to HIS list. Is he set on a small crumbing forward? We had a decent interview with Taheny, do mid sizers enter the mix? He would have to be involved in a decision regarding keeping pick 9 for best available, or in fact reaching for a needs based player. Then the third option or trading to two solid picks for a couple of bites at specific players. I will add that I do not see our future picks coming in to the equation to grab at players this year. I am sure our brains trust will keep their powder dry there to ensure options are open in 2020.

Unlike Bolts, Teaguey is happy to abdicate plenty of the day to day control to his assistants. Allows him to focus on the big picture and the assistants to develop. Also happy that he is allowing the list and game plan to "evolve" over the preseason, as opposed to preconceived roles. We have a range of types at each end of the ground and the final preferred mix will be intriguing.

I don't see Teaguey as the micromanaging type. However, he does need to be over the type of player we add to HIS list. Is he set on a small crumbing forward? We had a decent interview with Taheny, do mid sizers enter the mix? He would have to be involved in a decision regarding keeping pick 9 for best available, or in fact reaching for a needs based player. Then the third option or trading to two solid picks for a couple of bites at specific players. I will add that I do not see our future picks coming in to the equation to grab at players this year. I am sure our brains trust will keep their powder dry there to ensure options are open in 2020.

Unlike Bolts, Teaguey is happy to abdicate plenty of the day to day control to his assistants. Allows him to focus on the big picture and the assistants to develop. Also happy that he is allowing the list and game plan to "evolve" over the preseason, as opposed to preconceived roles. We have a range of types at each end of the ground and the final preferred mix will be intriguing.

I think unless we get some good future draft picks to use for the next big fish, I'd prefer we take 9 to the draft.
The top 8-10 are supposedly a step up in class from the next 10-15 and surely now with our kids we're about building quality, not depth.

Yep, this little nugget in the kit reveal presser with Doc and Cripps about being non-descriptive in approach was good to hear. Giving the players scenarios and letting them work out solutions as a collective and letting the game-plan evolve over the pre-season. Hopefully leads to players acting on instinct.

Associate who has connections with Geelong Falcons says we are big into Cooper Stephens.

Also says he has heard GEE searching hard to trade up for McAsey or Jackson and have engagedwith us.

Don’t expect Stephens to be selected at 9, but a trade down or Stocker-esque transaction may well be in the works.
Sounds like a law firm or something.

Associate who has connections with Geelong Falcons says we are big into Cooper Stephens.

Also says he has heard GEE searching hard to trade up for McAsey or Jackson and have engagedwith us.

Don’t expect Stephens to be selected at 9, but a trade down or Stocker-esque transaction may well be in the works.
I don't know if it has been suggested elsewhere, or if it would even be allowed by the AFL to go through, but if we could somehow trade our 2020 1st round pick for GCS 2020 #11 and say pick #15 or 20 this year while also keeping pick #9 this year would be awesome. This would guarantee GCS have an extra first round pick next year (because if they keep #11 next year they may lose it if they improve beyond AFL's expectations) whilst also giving us and additional 1st round pick this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have "watched" C.Stephens for two seasons now. There was a post on here that far back that we were watching closely. I didn't know who he
was at the time, so looked up and was surprised to find he was an underager. Tested brilliantly after injury curtailed season.

Have heaps of time for both D.Stephens and Kemp at 9(10), but can see a trade down for two picks for C.Stephens and a quality small or medium forward like Pickett, Taheny or the like as both positive and very likely.

I'm referring more to the processes of the club, not player types. I'm sure it is essential that the coach plays a significant role on the LM practices however, even Bolton didn't lead the draft interviews and he was a renowned micro manager.

Hardwick talked about how he didn't become the coach he is regarded to be until he abdicated responsibility to others in 2016. Up until that time, he worked 80 - 120 hour weeks trying to be across everything. He realised that wasn't good for him or the club but, he was so intent on controlling every measurable possible, he didn't do anything well. I just hope Teague doesn't get caught up the th er excitement of his new role and allows everyone to do their jobs.

He played with Sam Walsh last year and he named Stocker his toughest opponent. Interesting.

Last edited:
I'm referring more to the processes of the club, not player types. I'm sure it is essential that the coach plays a significant role on the LM practices however, even Bolton didn't lead the draft interviews and he was a renowned micro manager.

Hardwick talked about how he didn't become the coach he is regarded to be until he abdicated responsibility to others in 2016. Up until that time, he worked 80 - 120 hour weeks trying to be across everything. He realised that wasn't good for him or the club but, he was so intent on controlling every measurable possible, he didn't do anything well. I just hope Teague doesn't get caught up the th er excitement of his new role and allows everyone to do their jobs.

This was a massive problem for Bolts. Having witnessed it first hand and being impacted by it, Teague has no one to blame if he replicates it.

I was encouraged by Teague's attitude towards injury recovery times that we saw second half of last year. Whenever the media asked him about some player or other, he'd basically say he doesn't know and he's not interested in the detail, he trusts Russell and the team to do their job, all he needs is to be told when they're ready for selection. Seems like a decent indication that he's not the micromanaging type.

If I'm Barass, I am sharing what I feel like sharing (and/or am told to share).

I don't care about keeping score and trying to maintain a perfect 'batting average'...
Yeah.....

But you’re not Barass. Are ya? Nope. You’re not. You’re in the NO not In the Know. Aren’t ya?

Haven’t had a drop.

Yeah.....

But you’re not Barass. Are ya? Nope. You’re not. You’re in the NO not In the Know. Aren’t ya?

Haven’t had a drop.

Then how do you explain me being one of the most prolific posters in the No Discussion thread, then?!? :p

I think the only ones who have posted in there more than me are Aph and The Toad.... :)

Yeah.....

Haven’t had a drop.

I once heard a rumour from my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend who heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw one of the players pass out at 31 flavours.

But I didn't believe it because it sounded like a cover up of something else going on....

I don't know if it has been suggested elsewhere, or if it would even be allowed by the AFL to go through, but if we could somehow trade our 2020 1st round pick for GCS 2020 #11 and say pick #15 or 20 this year while also keeping pick #9 this year would be awesome. This would guarantee GCS have an extra first round pick next year (because if they keep #11 next year they may lose it if they improve beyond AFL's expectations) whilst also giving us and additional 1st round pick this year.
I wonder if the Suns would be allowed to trade that pick 11 before next year. As you mentioned if they suddenly improve and say make the 8 they will not receive that pick.

It makes sense with Daniel O’Keefe being his coach at the Falcons and now working with us as an assistant. He would know better than anyone what Stephens is capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back