2019 Financial Results

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You are an argumentative fool and coward, go away

IF you are to make unattributable claims that are demonstrably wrong, expect me to expose you.

This sort of stuff is simply wrong, demonstrably wrong:
Their $22m contribution is in an article on the AFL site, let google be your friend.
The WCE cash and investments is in their FY report.

Have you corrected your original errors as they apply to the Tiges, obviously your use of the Eagles is wrong,

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is an easier one to understand surely?

Isn't Dingly land owned outright by Hawthorn?

???

I understand so, although there was a development proposal on the table which involved the HFC handing back land for public use in exchange for government support.

I’m not sure where this stands now that the $20m grant from Federal Labor was not matched by the federal government

In the article it mentioned that the next 6 months would be pivotal for fundraising.

I presume that Waverley Park could feature in that somewhere (perhaps returned to the AFL / state in exchange for some Dingley funding?)

IF you are to make unattributable claims that are demonstrably wrong, expect me to expose you.

I'm going to use this quote in Tas threads...(on the rare occasions I'm bored enough to go into them)

I expect people will get sick of it (but still wont produce any attributable facts).

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I'm going to use this quote in Tas threads...

I expect people will get very sick of it (but still wont produce any attributable facts).

IF I'm guilty fire away ...

Problem with Tas is its about a change of models, bit like what WA faced in 1986 ... at best calculated guesses.
The money Tas pumps directly into the AFL clubs? What tourism AFL games pump into the Tas economy?

IF I'm guilty fire away ...

Problem with Tas is its about a change of models, bit like what WA faced in 1986 ... at best calculated guesses.
The money Tas pumps directly into the AFL clubs? What tourism AFL games pump into the Tas economy?

Wasn't referring to you specifically.

and this probably isn't the thread for further discussion on that topic.

Slightly off topic, but the Melbourne Racing Club seems to be buying all these pokies that clubs are selling.

Excuse my ignorance, and I'm sure if I did a bit of googling I'd find some of the answers to my question but for those who live in Melbourne and have experiences with the MRC, who are the MRC? Are they they a rebadged Victoria Racing Club or a separate organisation? If so, what racing assets do they own to transfer all these pokie machines to? Or are they buying venues as well and not moving them? If they are moving them, who are they trying to get to lose money on them? Existing racing fans on race day or are they trying to crank up non race day revenue?

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but the Melbourne Racing Club seems to be buying all these pokies that clubs are selling.

Excuse my ignorance, and I'm sure if I did a bit of googling I'd find some of the answers to my question but for those who live in Melbourne and have experiences withe MRC, who are the MRC? Are they they a rebadged Victoria Racing Club or a separate organisation? If so, what racing assets do they own to transfer all these pokie machines to? Or are they buying venues as well and not moving them? If they are moving them, who are they trying to get to lose money on them? Existing racing fans on race day or are they trying to crank up non race day revenue?

Not an expert, but while there is obviously a lot of cooperation the different tracks seem to have different clubs owning them.

A quick google seems to suggest VRC is Flemington, MRC is Caulfield.

As for the why...Well, they're clearly organisations that wouldn't worry too much about social concerns regarding gambling, which would probably effect the price of those assets enough to make it a good deal for them.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Excuse my ignorance, and I'm sure if I did a bit of googling I'd find some of the answers to my question but for those who live in Melbourne and have experiences with the MRC, who are the MRC? Are they they a rebadged Victoria Racing Club or a separate organisation? If so, what racing assets do they own to transfer all these pokie machines to? Or are they buying venues as well and not moving them? If they are moving them, who are they trying to get to lose money on them? Existing racing fans on race day or are they trying to crank up non race day revenue?

There are three racing clubs in Melbourne - Victoria (Flemington), Moonee Valley and Melbourne.

Melbourne Racing Club is proud to offer three of Victoria's best racing venues: Caulfield Racecourse, Mornington Racing Club, and Ladbrokes Park (Sandown).
We own and operate a portfolio of hotel and club venues spanning across all of Melbourne. (through Pegasus Leisure Group)
ref: https://mrc.racing.com/our-club/our-venues

Id say these hotels are being added to Pegasus.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
MRC HQ is Caulfield & there is an ongoing review of that site, think its a set up like the MCG, a Govt Trust own the site.

Bad for the bulldogs, going to lose a lot of money long term from not having those machines.
Collingwood more than doubly hurt by selling their pokies compared to the Bulldogs.

AFL clubs reaped millions of dollars from poker machines last year, as pokies losses in Victorian pubs and clubs swelled to $2.7 billion - the second highest amount on record ......... The $2.69 billion lost in the 2018/19 financial year is the second highest on record, after 2009.
The data shows more than $77 million was lost in machines owned by Victorian AFL clubs during the year. Hawthorn had the greatest share making just under $24.7 million from its 165 machines at the West Waters Hotel in Caroline Springs and Vegas At Waverley Gardens, in Mulgrave.
Collingwood got out this year selling its pokies venues - The Club in Melton and the Coach and Horses in Maroondah - late in calendar 2018. Those two venues took $12.9 million in losses across the full 2019 financial year.

Geelong, Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs have all pledged to get out of pokies, while North Melbourne has been pokies-free for a decade.

1574227436679.png

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
On the figures above, it's unclear whether that's gross or net. I'm guessing it's gross, meaning the net revenue from pokies might be something like 10% of the gross.
So taking Melbourne as an example, the difference it's making to the bottom line is pretty small.
Even with the Bulldogs, they would need to make up $580,000 in net revenue.
Not saying that's easy, but it's basically a couple of 2nd tier sponsors.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Turnover not margin?

Does your club have room to absorb the loss of pokies?

Operating Profit/Loss 2018
  • St Kilda – $10,414,960
  • Melbourne – $6,005,532
  • Hawthorn – $4,491,707
  • Richmond – $4,210,003
  • Geelong – $3,986,647
  • Essendon – $2,321,871
  • Carlton – $2,611,638
  • Western Bulldogs – $2,207,274
  • Collingwood – $112,052

t's not like selling these machines to another club actually helps anyone you know?

On the figures above, it's unclear whether that's gross or net. I'm guessing it's gross, meaning the net revenue from pokies might be something like 10% of the gross.
So taking Melbourne as an example, the difference it's making to the bottom line is pretty small.
Those figures are losses made by punters and reported by the machines to the Victorian gaming authority. So its recorded losses, then gambling taxes would be paid on those recorded losses which in most jurisdictions is in the 40%-50% range.

Clubs report Venue revenue and that could be either
1. Losses made by punters less gaming taxes paid plus food and beverage revenue
and then have a one line Venues expenses for all expenses
or
2. Losses made by punters plus food and beverage revenue
and then have a one line Venues expenses for all expenses and gaming taxes are in this figure

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

That's right.

I vaguely remember hearing 15 % back in the day as the rough share of punter losses that adds to the bottom line of clubs.

We'll get a better idea of the rough impact on the balance sheets and P & L when Collingwood and the Dogs release their pokies free reports.

Looking at the Collingwood report from last year, that still won't be 2020 as part of the year that we still owned the two pubs and gaming machines will still be reported

Back