News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

If it was just the positive test for pot he'd get a slap on the wrist. But it was clear the tampering was to avoid getting a positive test for cannabis, not to avoid a PED charge. 9 months for that would mean he still misses half of next year and thats about right imo.

That is a massive assumption that ASADA and WADA will not be making.

They will gun for the biggest penalty possible. Doesn't mean the crime warrants the penalty.

Perhaps my point was not clear. You are assuming Willie was not obscuring PED use by tampering with his sample. ASADA are not going to make that assumption. They will treat him as if he was attempting to obscure PED use.

I don't believe he was obscuring PED use but acknowledge that is my own value judgement. The system is going to have to treat him as if he were obscuring PED use or the whole WADA framework is undermined. More information might come out through the process which changes or influences how things should be examined but that remains to be seen.

My understanding is that the blood test detected no PEDs

But the urine test can detect more PEDS/PEDS over a longer time span than the blood test (according to the big, mainboard Willie thread). The blood test isn't definitive in this instance. For the purposes of this case, if it is medically accepted that there is a difference between the tests, the blood test isn't worth squat.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Perhaps my point was not clear. You are assuming Willie was not obscuring PED use by tampering with his sample. ASADA are not going to make that assumption. They will treat him as if he was attempting to obscure PED use.

I don't believe he was obscuring PED use but acknowledge that is my own value judgement. The system is going to have to treat him as if he were obscuring PED use or the whole WADA framework is undermined. More information might come out through the process which changes or influences how things should be examined but that remains to be seen.
Why do they have to treat him as trying to obscure anything?

Can't he just get done for tampering regardless?

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Willie looks trim.

Attachments

• IMG_20191120_091137.jpg
    IMG_20191120_091137.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 270

Level_Headed

Team Captain
Jan 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

As much as I hate to use news.com.au as any kind of sense check... Apparently WADA pushing for a 2 - 8 year ban for Sun. Given the charge is also tampering and he has a prior conviction you would think that they would accept something around 2 years for Willie.

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

As much as I hate to use news.com.au as any kind of sense check... Apparently WADA pushing for a 2 - 8 year ban for Sun. Given the charge is also tampering and he has a prior conviction you would think that they would accept something around 2 years for Willie.

Worst case in my opinion.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Just need to ensure his life stays on track. Serious reputational risk to the Club if he turns into a Cousins/Yarran, for example, as unlikely as that might be

Alright uncle joe. It’s just weed, unprofessional and against WADA regs sure but he’s not got behavioural issues like those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Alright uncle joe. It’s just weed, unprofessional and against WADA regs sure but he’s not got behavioural issues like those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah I meant more like getting lost/depressed without football in his life and something bad happening. He’s obviously nothing like them behaviourally but things could spiral out of control if he’s left unsupported in financial difficulty with a family to feed, etc.

Just reckon the club should at least keep an eye on things

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Nah I meant more like getting lost/depressed without football in his life and something bad happening. He’s obviously nothing like them behaviourally but things could spiral out of control if he’s left unsupported in financial difficulty with a family to feed, etc.

Just reckon the club should at least keep an eye on things

With Bateman ( And ex Eagle Jamie Bennel) up there helping him train i think they are definitely keeping an eye on things.

Back