Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty confident they go with young
My thinking is that the trades of the last few days has made the top 10 slightly easier to predict.
They should absolutely be going for Young with Pick 3, he's going to be something special and I would personally take him ahead of Anderson

Man I hope Melbourne bid on green at 3!! They don’t mind bidding on father sons to make the other team use there picks old Melbourne.

The irony would be special. GWS elected not to bid on Viney allowing the Demons to take another player in the first round before having to use a pick to get Viney. A comment at the time was that “GWS didn’t owe the other teams any favours “. Melbourne not returning the favour would be just desserts for GWS.
( what are “just desserts “ anyway?)

On a separate note, I am going to be so pissed if GWS draft Hayden Young with Pick 4 as well as getting Green. Ridiculous how long they've been able to stretch those initial draft concessions out through trading surplus talent for more picks
Don’t stress. Young can join his older brother at the Lost Giants Home in a couple of years.

On a more serious note you’ve got to hand it to GWS’ brains trust. They have cannily worked the draft and special concessions since day 1 of their brief existence.

We’re just lucky that a number of their higher picks have turned out to be duds but they’ve certainly given themselves plenty of draft ammunition over the years.

The irony would be special. GWS elected not to bid on Viney allowing the Demons to take another player in the first round before having to use a pick to get Viney. A comment at the time was that “GWS didn’t owe the other teams any favours “. Melbourne not returning the favour would be just desserts for GWS.
( what are “just desserts “ anyway?)
It’s actually “just deserts” , one s, means that which is deserved.

You’re welcome 😉

Unless Melbourne think that they can get Ash at 8 to play half back and want to go something different at 3
I have them taking both..

Pick 1 Sun's - Rowell
Pick 2 Sun's - anderson
Pick 3 Melb - young
Pick 4 gws - Jackson
Pick 5 gws - green (match bid)
Pick 6 swans - Kemp
Pick 7 Crows - Flanders
Pick 8 Freo - d. Stephens
Pick 9 Melb - ash
Pick 10 Freo - Henry (match bid)
Pick 11 blues - weightman
Pick 12 hawks - Mcasey
Pick 13 port - serong
Pick 14 dogs - bergman
Pick 15 cats - Robertson
Pick 16 suns - rantall
Pick 17 port - pickett
Pick 18 cats - Worrell
Pick 19 port - day
Pick 20 hawks - maginness (match bid)
Pick 21 tigers - rivers

Kemp much of a chance to slide down? Looks a good user with a decent amount of pace and power.
He can really be picked at any point after pick 6 I reckon. Could be a chance to slide to us, but I struggle to see him making it past Carlton and Hawks tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would it cost us to get a pick in the top 10 before the hawks..? As I really like Mcasey. Our pick 13 and 2020 Adelaides 3rd for freos pick 10...?

What would it cost us to get a pick in the top 10 before the hawks..? As I really like Mcasey. Our pick 13 and 2020 Adelaides 3rd for freos pick 10...?
It would definitely be a premium price.
I think 13 is a great position anyway, happily pick who slides or if not go for a bolter (bergman, rantall, pickett)

If Henry gets bid on before 10, the pick will be on the table to the highest bidder. As a few clubs have multiple picks in the late first/2nd rounds, not sure we'll have the ammunition to be that bidder

Trading up is dangerous.
Posters here were very keen to trade up from pick 4 to pick 1 to get Boyd (missing out on Bontempelli) and also two years ago to make sure we got Coffield (ahead of pick 9, we took Naughton).

I say no silly trading up or down this year - just take 13 to the draft and use it.

Trading up is dangerous.
Posters here were very keen to trade up from pick 4 to pick 1 to get Boyd (missing out on Bontempelli) and also two years ago to make sure we got Coffield (ahead of pick 9, we took Naughton).

I say no silly trading up or down this year - just take 13 to the draft and use it.

Yup, if Melbourne bids on Greene (which I would personally do out of spite) then GWS will have played silly buggers for nothing. Trying to be too cute to get a slightly stronger draft hand is playing a dangerous game

Yup, if Melbourne bids on Greene (which I would personally do out of spite) then GWS will have played silly buggers for nothing. Trying to be too cute to get a slightly stronger draft hand is playing a dangerous game
I'd imagine GWS must have a contingency plan in place - something like swapping that Pick 4 for Gold Coast's future 1st. This is way too high-risk for them to not have an out. I really do hope Melbourne bids on Green. He's clearly in that top 3 bracket, so passing on him means either Melbourne stand out as the contrary opinion on his ranking, or they're intentionally avoiding the bid.

I know they have way too many inside mids as it is, but Jones is basically done and Brayshaw could end up in Perth at some stage in the near future. Just like us drafting Bailey Smith when we already had quality young mids sitting on the fringe (Lipinski and McLean especially), you just have to go with best available, and I fail to see how anyone could consider Jackson better than Green

Think Adelaide is going to make a play for Jack Lukosius with their extra first round pick next year?
They might as well. Commit to a full rebuild, and they'll be looking at a fairly low pick. I'm not as convinced as others that Adelaide will be that bad next year though considering they really didn't lose as much as you might think. The only significant loss was Keath, but they'll get Doedee back to replace him so it's not as bad as it seems. The rest of the players they lost were pretty average, while their elite talent stayed.

Either way, they should end up with some pick combination like 7 + 14, which you'd think would be way more than enough to snag Lukosius

Trading up is dangerous.

Someone on Twitter put Dan Lonegrans tweet from 2013 imploring the Dogs to pick Aish not Bont. Lucky he is not in charge of our recruiting!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They have done it well but credit to the AFL architects they made it almost idiot proof. If you look back over all the GWS selections in the 1 to 20 range they have had more than their fare share if misses

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
And with JMac in charge of list management now there is a good chance they will have even more misses in the future.

And back it up with contracting duds to long term contracts and opening the door for good players to leave by not signing keepers up soon enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back