Opinion Hawthorn Captain 2020

Who should be Hawthorn Captain?

• Total voters
Contrary to what many of you guys think about Stratts year the coaches rated him pretty highly according to his B&F result and he finished top 5 in the time trial this arvo. Stratts will be captain this year. It may be up for discussion next year though

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Contrary to what many of you guys think about Stratts year the coaches rated him pretty highly according to his B&F result and he finished top 5 in the time trial this arvo. Stratts will be captain this year. It may be up for discussion next year though
I agree, Stratts gets the gig then I think JOM the year after.

Poppy and Big Boy! Could go piggy back for tight photo shots
masterblaster%5B1%5D.jpg

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Leaving the coaches votes aside who here on this forum can put their hand on their heart and and state that Stratts had a year deserving of a top 10 spot in 2019?
I watched every game last year and I consistently had him in our bottom 3 players (aside from a couple of games towards the end of the year where he was decent).
His first half of the year was absolute tripe though.

Leaving the coaches votes aside who here on this forum can put their hand on their heart and and state that Stratts had a year deserving of a top 10 spot in 2019?
I watched every game last year and I consistently had him in our bottom 3 players (aside from a couple of games towards the end of the year where he was decent).
His first half of the year was absolute tripe though.
Mate i am not going to answer plenty here see things from a different perspective. Coaches have the most objective view as the troll through hours of vision during game reviews and preparations. I trust them above any other uneducated opinions

Mate i am not going to answer plenty here see things from a different perspective. Coaches have the most objective view as the troll through hours of vision during game reviews and preparations. I trust them above any other uneducated opinions
And, they’re likely looking for different things than us - that has to be the biggest factor

And, they’re likely looking for different things than us - that has to be the biggest factor
Not different things mate. Things that they told stratts to do basically the role he played that they had laid out to him before the game. But in essence you are right

Not different things mate. Things that they told stratts to do basically the role he played that they had laid out to him before the game. But in essence you are right
That’s what I mean by different things.

Some of us supporters seem to want Stratts to get 15+ possies @ 80+% DE, 3-5 intercept marks whilst keeping his opponent from hitting the scoreboard.

I’m sure the coaches have somewhat different metrics.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just to refresh everyones memory in that Stratts scored a grand total of zero votes in the Yabby award.
I suppose you consider everyone who voted in that award across the year to have no insight whatsover into football and how the players performed week in week out?
And yes I know the voting format in the Crimmins medal is a different beast but still over the years the Yabby medal has been pretty accurate at predicting the top 10 placeholders in the Crimmins (not always getting the order right but pretty good none the less) which suggests that most BigFooty posters actually have some knowledge off the game.
The Stratton top 10 result is flat out weird and I am not backing away from that opinion.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Stratts will be skipper for 2020. He'll need to improve his form as captain to retain it though. I see no reason why he wouldn't.

Stratts will be skipper for 2020. He'll need to improve his form as captain to retain it though. I see no reason why he wouldn't.
I don’t think he’ll retain it beyond 2020. Why would he?

Our mid-long term plan should be that we replace him as BP after 2020; if not before, should his form from the first half of 2019 be his 2020 form.

By the end of 2020 we’ll have at least Shiels, Smitty, Mitchell, JO’M & Gunners that are captain-worthy. BigBoy as well, although I doubt he’ll still be in the mix.

Just to refresh everyones memory in that Stratts scored a grand total of zero votes in the Yabby award.
I suppose you consider everyone who voted in that award across the year to have no insight whatsover into football and how the players performed week in week out?
And yes I know the voting format in the Crimmins medal is a different beast but still over the years the Yabby medal has been pretty accurate at predicting the top 10 placeholders in the Crimmins (not always getting the order right but pretty good none the less) which suggests that most BigFooty posters actually have some knowledge off the game.
The Stratton top 10 result is flat out weird and I am not backing away from that opinion.
Lol mate you dont have to back away from your opinion. However i wonder if the yabby medal predicted Gibbo winning it in 2015?

Feb 11, 2004
I'm Liv'n in the 70's
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill , BulleenTemp.
I'll preface my comments with the caveat that they are uninformed opinion based.

Hawthorn made a mistake in selecting Stratton as Captain last season and the only reason I see to continue with him would be to save face.
His ability to lift an inspire on field last season appeared minimal (to someone sitting on the other side of the fence).
He well may be the greatest off field leader the club has seen but when we needed someone to lift us, on field, we weren't looking in the back pocket.

The B&F result was puzzling to me but I acknowledge the rationale, put forward by others as a possible explanation.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol mate you dont have to back away from your opinion. However i wonder if the yabby medal predicted Gibbo winning it in 2015?
[/QUOT
It didn't but I would think it had him finishing in the top 5 (Gibbo had an All Australian career best year in 2015 and I can't recall many people begrudging him his victory).

Gibbo winning it in 2015 would have been roughly equivalent if Sicily had have won it this year, a surprising but not an undeserving winner.

To me Stratton finishing top 10 in the B&F after the year he had is a lot more surprising than Gibbo winning the B&F in 2015.

Anyway I feel like I have had this same conversation countless times on Big Footy in 2019 and it is not really achieving much.

My biggest concern is that if Stratts gets made captain again (which appears likely) and he has another year of struggle town we will be forced to carry him all year and that is not a luxury you can afford in professional sports (least of all the cutthroat nature of the AFL).

Clarko, as great a coach as he undeniably is, has one weakness in my opinion and that is he backs his favorite players a little too much when they are obviously past it (Will Langford in 2018 springs to mind). It is a unusual character trait in such a ruthless man but it is their none the less.

Gene Simmons

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2007
Melbourne Rock City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think it would be a slap in the face to Stratton to have the Captaincy taken off him after 1 season..

I think he should keep the Captaincy for at least another year or 2... Then handover to our next 'long term' Captain; either Jaegar, Mitchell or Worpedo.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think it would be a slap in the face to Stratton to have the Captaincy taken off him after 1 season..

I think he should keep the Captaincy for at least another year or 2... Then handover to our next 'long term' Captain; either Jaegar, Mitchell or Worpedo.

You could slap him with an Atlantic Salmon for all I care.
I just want the right man in the job, the one who can lift and inspire and lead this team back to being a dangerous SOB in a dark alley.
Stratton's not that man for mine, quality soldier that he is.

Nick the Pig

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2020 makes this thread problematic.

“Next Captain” - JOM with Worps and Titch as VCs. Sicily and Impey in leadership group with Smith, Gunner, MvEvoy and Strats

I would marry this
I would also add Dimma to a leadership group of JOM, Tom, Worps, Sic and Imp for 2021. Complete changing of the guard and a nice blend of toughness and guys that can inspire

For reference
Screenshot_20191122-200637_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20191122-200533_Firefox.jpg

The yabby vs b&f correlation is often ovee blown
We tend to rate some players consistently higher and some consistently lower than the club

cogs2hawks

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I just don’t see many captain like qualities in Jaeger, don’t ask why I just don’t. Seriously we’ll still love Stratts if he gets stripped off captaincy we shouldn’t worry about how it’ll make him look we should do what’s best for the club. I would make Titch captain, no nonsense captain and would lead by example, teammates are more prone to look towards Titch when in need than Stratts down in the back pocket. Make Worps VC to then become Captain once Titch’s time is up.

Back