Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Setterfield best in the midfield one on ones.
Look g very strong and balanced.
Great to hear, he's the big bodied midfielder that we've always had :D
A fit Setters would make our midfield so much stronger, a solid base of Cripps, Setters, Walsh, MM and Ed
... and then as the other kids step up too - watch out!

Observations from the 1 1/2 year old:

- playing with the shiny car in the foyer is at least as exciting as playing outside where dad can watch the training session.

- whenever anything interesting is happening, run away.

- the blueberry muffins from the cafe are delicious.

Observations from me:

- as indicated by others, the skills early in the session were rather ordinary. Polson dropping kicks short, Fisher kicking over targets 25m away, Cripps, Finbar, Willo, Betts all missing wide. Don't think it's cause for concern, just blokes re-finding their touch early in the preseason. Improved a bit as the session went on.

- where drills last year seemed to "conclude" with a set shot for goal, today featured a lot of quick snaps. Like it. Have felt for a long time we have too many blokes who lack the confidence to take the shot for goal in general play.

- SPS looking likely to do some major distribution from half back. Cottrell's field kicking looked really nice. Willo looking fit and moving well. Stocker definitely looking a touch lighter. Finbar has sticky hands and is a great size, and was working really hard in a drill that saw him leading outside 50 then doubling back and racing his man back to a vacant goal square. O'Brien's kicking was top notch and he's a really vocal trainer, giving good direction to teammates about where to kick. Jones moving really well. Weiters is a monster.

- the blueberry muffins from the cafe are expensive.

Setterfield best in the midfield one on ones.
Look g very strong and balanced.

I didn't catch much of that ending. What did you think of Dow? Seems to be trying but needs to break out of this passivity. Lacked voice in other drills and just couldn't find his way into the brief match sim.

Still a way off, which is not unsurprising for a 3rd year player, I suppose.

Fisher and Gibbons were away from the midfield group at the end, practising small forward craft, for what it's worth.

Cripps, Walsh and Setterfield had a brief chat with Stanton at the end of the midfield stoppage drills before the conclusion of training. Those 3 will be playing significant midfield minutes, one would imagine.

Cuningham and Williamson looked really good. So too Samo. Weitering and Jones were beasts. Kreuzer and Casboult did a ton of laps. McGovern did plenty laps and looks in great shape. Marchbank limited to laps. Lochie looks fine. TDK had some good moments but is still building.

Stocker looks fit but his skills suffered at times, probably because of how hard he pushed himself in the running. Will benefit from more time on the track.

No Harry, JSOS or Charlie.

Finally, Docherty looks great and is obviously commanding out there. Would be incredible having his leadership and cool head back in defence.

And not much needs to be said about Walsh, guy is just insanely good.

Weitering must be in the leadership group this year. He is ready for that and ready for an AA CHB position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fisher and Gibbons were away from the midfield group at the end, practising small forward craft, for what it's worth.

Cripps, Walsh and Setterfield had a brief chat with Stanton at the end of the midfield stoppage drills before the conclusion of training. Those 3 will be playing significant midfield minutes, one would imagine.

Cuningham and Williamson looked really good. So too Samo. Weitering and Jones were beasts. Kreuzer and Casboult did a ton of laps. McGovern did plenty laps and looks in great shape. Marchbank limited to laps. Lochie looks fine. TDK had some good moments but is still building.

Stocker looks fit but his skills suffered at times, probably because of how hard he pushed himself in the running. Will benefit from more time on the track.

No Harry, JSOS or Charlie.
Finally, Docherty looks great and is obviously commanding out there. Would be incredible having his leadership and cool head back in defence.

And not much needs to be said about Walsh, guy is just insanely good.

Weitering must be in the leadership group this year. He is ready for that and ready for an AA CHB position.
Agree with all of this. Couple of things to add:

DeLuca and Owies both tried, but time and time again missed easy targets or made poor decisions. Owies has definitely made improvements since last pre-season, but his kicking and hand-balling is still poor at best. I would be extremely surprised if Deluca is on the list in 2020.

Walsh and Weitering loudest voices. Both looked incredible.

Pittonet impressed me. Feel much more confident (although it is only a small sample size) with him as our backup than Phillips/Lobbe.

Setterfield is a GUN and absolutely destroyed Dow & Walsh in the clearance drill at the end. Stocker was paired up with Cripps and matched him for the most part - impressive.

Where the f*** is Harry?

Me when the #TrackTalk starts up again

Only one training session I know but watch out for Cottrell next year.
This isn't a late rookie nor afterthought type. He has it.
Where does he get his opportunity in the senior team, Harks? What role, and what level of impact could he make in your eyes?

DeLuca and Owies both tried, but time and time again missed easy targets or made poor decisions. Owies has definitely made improvements since last pre-season, but his kicking and hand-balling is still poor at best. I would be extremely surprised if Deluca is on the list in 2020.

Pittonet impressed me. Feel much more confident (although it is only a small sample size) with him as our backup than Phillips/Lobbe.

Setterfield is a GUN and absolutely destroyed Dow & Walsh in the clearance drill at the end. Stocker was paired up with Cripps and matched him for the most part - impressive.

Where the f*** is Harry?
Love reading this, Haydoss. Of all of the GWS guys we have, he's the one. He's the one with the biggest scope. It's been said by many before so this isn't an original comment, but he could end up being our best player at the club one day - and potentially only behind a select few in a few short years.

Where the f*** is Harry?

I liked Pittonet too. Moves pretty well, clean set shot, very strong and didn't look out of place in the transition drills.

Didn't realise how much presence Setterfield has.

There are some guys who just have this aura of eliteness around them. Cripps, Walsh, Weitering and now Setterfield.

Me when the #TrackTalk starts up again

Where does he get his opportunity in the senior team, Harks? What role, and what level of impact could he make in your eyes?

Love reading this, Haydoss. Of all of the GWS guys we have, he's the one. He's the one with the biggest scope. It's been said by many before so this isn't an original comment, but he could end up being our best player at the club one day - and potentially only behind a select few in a few short years.

Cottrell? Half back or wing.
If he was an early draft pick you may expect what he did last year, but this guy only came onto our list because of injury to others.
Kicking is beautiful, clean in the air, has a huge tank, is quick and isn't soft by any means.
He'll be interesting to watch next year.

I liked Pittonet too. Moves pretty well, clean set shot, very strong and didn't look out of place in the transition drills.

Didn't realise how much presence Setterfield has.

There are some guys who just have this aura of eliteness around them. Cripps, Walsh, Weitering and now Setterfield.
That's what I reckon our Top 5 - with Doc - will be by end of 2021 (with a large group of guys closing in).
Cottrell? Half back or wing.
If he was an early draft pick you may expect what he did last year, but this guy only came onto our list because of injury to others.
Kicking is beautiful, clean in the air, has a huge tank, is quick and isn't soft by any means.
He'll be interesting to watch next year.
Cheers, mate. What's his ball-winning ability like? I think that's where LOB needs to improve, which may do with confidence/experience. If he can be a 15-25 disposal player with those assets, happy days. Not to mention he'd have that extra Bluebagger passion (like Doc, Levi, JSOS)... good be a beauty. Like I said, I'd love to see him earn an early little run of games to see what he can do.

He stood out... the real deal
I’ll write a detailed report later when I have some time. Observations:

- boys look in ripping nick. Skills were sketchy to start off with

- good to see not many on light duties - Marchy doing laps, Kreuz (think he has dropped a couple of kg) running and goal kicking. Lang and willo doing splits around the oval (willo looks switched on and determined - can’t wait til he’s back on the field)

- kicking rotations not too bad. Skills got better as time went on with this drill. Players that stood out in these drill were Fish, Cottrell, Gibbo.

- thought the 12v9 at the end looked pretty good for one of the first sessions of the year, think our defense will be back to good order this season coming

- goal kicking practice at the end, first few minutes boys couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a boat. Improved quickly though. Cuners, a nice set shot. Ed was great. Dow came good, was impressed. There’s heaps more but more on that later

- overall, professional training session without being amazing. Blowing out the cobwebs, but the boys know what they’re in for I think - they aren’t green anymore, these are men training now

- notable absences: H, JSOS

EDIT: Gibbo the perpetual pest. Like it - we need a bit of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back