Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
This is all about our future 1st round pick.
We can now trade it for a late 2019 1st Round (If the opportunity arises).

Agree. Being reported that there are multiple clubs in the market to off load futures first for one this year (us included). Problem is there aren’t many sellers interested!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fratbrat

Senior List
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree. Being reported that there are multiple clubs in the market to off load futures first for one this year (us included). Problem is there aren’t many sellers interested!
And we wouldn't look like value to anyone else because they'd assume we'll finish high again.

But if we could pull it off we'd go from picks 35, 62 and 74 to: 1st round, 35 and 48 for not much cost.

Last edited:

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
And we wouldn't look like value to anyone else because they'd assume we'll finish high again.

But if we could pull it off we'd go from picks 35, 62 and 74 to: 1st round, 35 and 48 for not much cost.

Yeah that lack of value is why we may have to accept unders and trade that first into the very early 2nd round. Our Future 1st for the Suns priority pick 20?

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
How is it a missed opportunity? We have virtually no currency this year to trade up the draft, and given there's an article on the AFL site talking about the difficulty Hawthorn is having in trading a future first for one this year I'd say we're in the same boat.

Not everything needs to be an opportunity to pot the club.

Just putting it out there that Brisbane was a team that needed to trade out some 2019 picks and we still do have our 2020 pick.

You need to ease off on the trigger there a little though - commentary on what in hindsight might have been a potential opportunity doesn't have to equate to outright potting the club.

Unfortunately it’s a buyers market, so we would get unders for our future first.
Most clubs probably assume our future 1st will be pick 15-18, hence they would only offer an early 2nd round (this year) an early 20’s pick.
Other clubs also trying to offload their future first would have a perceived greater value (maybe picks 10-15).
Assume we will only trade it IF (a) the value is fair (b) a player we value falls a bit, so we pounce by trading our future first to nab him.
Then CFC will explain “We traded our future 1st Round pick for pick 23 in this draft to secure player X, whom we value as a pick 10-15 player, therefore we didn’t hesitate to Do the deal”

MightyRoar

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unfortunately it’s a buyers market, so we would get unders for our future first.
Most clubs probably assume our future 1st will be pick 15-18, hence they would only offer an early 2nd round (this year) an early 20’s pick.
Other clubs also trying to offload their future first would have a perceived greater value (maybe picks 10-15).
Assume we will only trade it IF (a) the value is fair (b) a player we value falls a bit, so we pounce by trading our future first to nab him.
Then CFC will explain “We traded our future 1st Round pick for pick 23 in this draft to secure player X, whom we value as a pick 10-15 player, therefore we didn’t hesitate to Do the deal”

Yeah this pretty much sums it up.

Realistically we aren't going to be able to trade our first next year for a first this year but trading our 2020 first for an early 2nd this year, with some other upgrades or throw ins would relate to similar value.

I reckon our best bet would be to target either GC (20) or the Crows (22) for our 2020 first. I'd even see if the Crows would exchange their pick 37 for our 48 and with GC they chuck in a 2020 4th rounder.

Both GC and the Crows do alright out of this because regardless of next years draft being supposedly comprised, our first will still be of value but isn't appealing if we want to swap it for a first this year.

All of this is only if someone slides to either pick 20 or 22 that we rate higher......if not then it all becomes null and void.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
There is 0.0000000000000000001% of us getting Gould

You never know Dave. Maynard was expected to go top 20 in his draft year and we couldn’t call his name out quick enough when he got to 30. Time will tell. Chrispiesssss

You never know Dave. Maynard was expected to go top 20 in his draft year and we couldn’t call his name out quick enough when he got to 30. Time will tell. Chrispiesssss

Murphy was expected to go first round too. I suspect the evenness of this draft will see us have access to at least one player who nobody expected to be available at 35, much like 2017.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Murphy was expected to go first round too. I suspect the evenness of this draft will see us have access to at least one player who nobody expected to be available at 35, much like 2017.

Agree. In addition to that we may end up with a pick earlier than 35 anyway (if we can somehow conjure up a pick swap with someone on draft night). As a result I don’t think we can discount having access to any player ranked 10-35.

That what some of the Experts are Saying.

We would of Traded Up again to 1st round to Get Murphy IF the Rule was in

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
There is 0.0000000000000000001% of us getting Gould
index.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back