Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Whoaa

Sensitive tigers wont be happy about this
Not sure why they should get upset about my little opinion.

I prefer the company of oddballs than dickheads.

As for the topic of the thread, I honestly can't choose. Danger seems the better player week by week but you cant argue that Dusty doesn't do it when it counts. Both are explosive as all fu**, good to watch.

One is recognised as being a selfless team man. First instinct is to bring his teammates into the game. Keeps a low profile (as much as one can when pulling in a couple of mill a year with off- field dollars) and is generally regarded as a team first player.

The other is considered an oddball. Martin a dickhead.

And yet it’s Tiger fans that are sensitive. Grow up.

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think anyone does care about your opinion.
Gavin Excell is still very, very upset that Richmond 'most always beat Geelong in games that matter. He's just projecting.
Poor fellow.

I'm well and truly over people giving their personal opinion on AFL player's character.

They watch maybe one or two games a year, and read a couple of articles by a sports journo who knows even less, and they sit around pontificating about who they'd like to hang out with and who's a dickhead, etc.

Cotch was asked about these sort of opinions recently and said something like "who cares? They're fat and sit on a couch." Nail. Hammer. Head.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Serious question. Would another flag and/or norm smith bump dusty up a level in peoples eyes?

He's already a great player but it's the era in which he plays. They get such a decent run today as even taggers gets penalized heavily like they never did 10 years ago.
Greg Williams was just as dominant as Dustin Martin and he had to put up with guys roughing him up all day long. Imagine players in the 90's getting the luxury of all the rules involved today, Hird and Williams would be putting up similar number to Neale but with the added bonus of goal scoring like Martin.

Having said that, Martin in the 90's would have dominated just as he is today.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
He's already a great player but it's the era in which he plays. They get such a decent run today as even taggers gets penalized heavily like they never did 10 years ago.
Greg Williams was just as dominant as Dustin Martin and he had to put up with guys roughing him up all day long. Imagine players in the 90's getting the luxury of all the rules involved today, Hird and Williams would be putting up similar number to Neale but with the added bonus of goal scoring like Martin.

That's a fair point for sure. I also reckon with the improved levels of fitness in footy today if Martin of danger of fyfe was sent back to the 90s they would destroy the comp.

That's a fair point for sure. I also reckon with the improved levels of fitness in footy today if Martin of danger of fyfe was sent back to the 90s they would destroy the comp.
If Gary Ablett Senior was playing in the modern era, and assuming he had the fitness of a modern player, imagine how dominant and versatile a midfielder he would have been.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
If Gary Ablett Senior was playing in the modern era, and assuming he had the fitness of a modern player, imagine how dominant and versatile a midfielder he would have been.
s**t I don't want to imagine that.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

If he survived the drug tests, he would have been metoo'd out of town

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong

Why would they have the same fitness levels of today if they played in the 90's?
If the likes of Ablett Snr, Koutoufides, Hird, Williams, Carey had the same fitness levels of the players today, you don't think they dominate the league in a manor which sets them well above their peers?

Danger2Jenkins

Knight of the Teutonic Order
Oct 17, 2019
Moe Heights
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Moe Bushrangers
Serious question. Would another flag and/or norm smith bump dusty up a level in peoples eyes?

Another 2-3 of him playing at this level. He's just as good as all the others, better than some, but has been 10-15th most his career then pops up in a couple finals and changes everyones perception.. Would like too see a few strong seasons in a row.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Why would they have the same fitness levels of today if they played in the 90's?
If the likes of Ablett Snr, Koutoufides, Hird, Williams, Carey had the same fitness levels of the players today, you don't think they dominate the league in a manor which sets them well above their peers?
Fair point. I was thinking a time machine. I believe generally the players of today are better than yesteryear. It's been a constant improvement in skill and fitness.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair point. I was thinking a time machine. I believe generally the players of today are better than yesteryear. It's been a constant improvement in skill and fitness.

But what about basic footy skills?
Martin has to play on when having a set shot for goal. He also has absolutely no left foot to speak of. Not a very good jumper so he wouldn't be able to clunk overhead marks like they had to every week in the early days.

Maybe not in a "manor", but on the field, yes

But what about basic footy skills?
Martin has to play on when having a set shot for goal. He also has absolutely no left foot to speak of. Not a very good jumper so he wouldn't be able to clunk overhead marks like they had to every week in the early days.
He’s actually got a great left foot, he just rarely uses it.
If you’re critical of him for playing on around the corner which player from which club was it who made it the in thing could you remind me?

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
He’s actually got a great left foot, he just rarely uses it.
If you’re critical of him for playing on around the corner which player from which club was it who made it the in thing could you remind me?

I am critical of him and yes, Stevie J around the corner was almost a clown show in the end. I once saw him try to the snap shot from about 40 metres out and guess what happened? The ball landed 20 metres out straight into the oppositions lap. Had he just done a regular drop punt, he gets it to the goal square and panic for defenders.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Think Geelong held a mini-Olympics one year, well into the pre-season, and Ablett snr turned up with zero preparation and killed every event (except the 1500 because he said it was too far to run!).

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Think Geelong held a mini-Olympics one year, well into the pre-season, and Ablett snr turned up with zero preparation and killed every event (except the 1500 because he said it was too far to run!).

My mate (who is quite a lot older than myself) use to live next to Kardinia. He would go to the open training sessions the Cats use to hold back in the 90's. Back then, the team would break up into separate units while others would do individual work with a trainer or employee of the club.
One day at practice he observed Ablett in the center of the ground practicing his torpedo goal kicking. It was the city end and he was slotting goals from the center of the ground and they were hitting the fence. Had about 15 shots and most sailed through the goals. Was one of the most impressive sights he had ever seen. Had to be at least 80+ metres. Incredibly powerful individual.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS

Greg Williams 1.4 frees for per game, 1.0 against.
Dustin Martin 0.9 frees for per game, 1.5 against.

Richmond suk. plain and simple.
30 years of the worst effort ever in the history of sporting clubs
Now they corrupt their way to a flag suddenly kings? give me a break. richmond will always be known as crap.

Have you worn out your "the Streak" dvd yet? That one where you took the comp by storm and won......?

Its a bloody tough call...

I would prefer to hang out with Danger than I would Dusty though

Danger is an odd dude but he is clearly self effacing and seems good fun.

Dusty comes across as a grade A dick.

Though I doubt dusty would have a drink with a rando like me anyway, but I reckon Danger would.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Not sure why they should get upset about my little opinion.

I prefer the company of oddballs than dickheads.

As for the topic of the thread, I honestly can't choose. Danger seems the better player week by week but you cant argue that Dusty doesn't do it when it counts. Both are explosive as all fu**, good to watch.

tenor.gif

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Think it was the 1985 Pre-season. Greg Williams told the story on Open Mike.

To be fair to Ablett, he actually said that he'd been working the farm with his Dad all summer, so it wasn't like he was doing nothing. May not have been doing footy training type drills, but I'm sure he kept himself in shape.

I think in order it was 100 metre sprint, 200 metre sprint, he skipped the next one, then kicked a left foot drop punt 10 metres further than anyone else, then threw a medicine ball 5 metres past everyone else.

I'm not joking when I say if you combined Ablett junior, Martin, and Dangerfield I'm still not sure if that would equal Ablett senior. To say he was complete it putting it mildly. There are very few players I've seen that could do absolutely everything (and to a high degree). But he could.

Back