What shits ya!

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't actually achieve much apart from a bit of cathartic value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have just moved back to Melbourne from Mildura and back I with the folks until I find a new place.

They’re both retired teachers and travel a lot, so fairly worldly. But EVERY NIGHT they watch the most garbage tv. Between us we have access to Foxtel, Netflix and Disney+, yet they’ll watch Border Security and I’m A Celebrity.

Now I’m a big Star Wars fan and my folks haven’t seen much, if any of the movies. They suggested we sit together and watch it as a family, which is cool. I suggested to wait for Ep9 to be released on Disney+ so we could watch it all without a gap. In the meantime I suggested The Mandalorian. They tried it for an episode and it was “too difficult to follow”. It literally follows one character! If we do end up watching the movies, I can see me spending a lot of time explaining things.

I just don’t understand how they get any sort of mental stimulation or enjoyment out of what they watch. I know I should just leave them be if they are happy, but it just shits me knowing they are spending their retirement watching compete drivel.

Have just moved back to Melbourne from Mildura and back I with the folks until I find a new place.

They’re both retired teachers and travel a lot, so fairly worldly. But EVERY NIGHT they watch the most garbage tv. Between us we have access to Foxtel, Netflix and Disney+, yet they’ll watch Border Security and I’m A Celebrity.

Now I’m a big Star Wars fan and my folks haven’t seen much, if any of the movies. They suggested we sit together and watch it as a family, which is cool. I suggested to wait for Ep9 to be released on Disney+ so we could watch it all without a gap. In the meantime I suggested The Mandalorian. They tried it for an episode and it was “too difficult to follow”. It literally follows one character! If we do end up watching the movies, I can see me spending a lot of time explaining things.

I just don’t understand how they get any sort of mental stimulation or enjoyment out of what they watch. I know I should just leave them be if they are happy, but it just shits me knowing they are spending their retirement watching compete drivel.
I sometimes think that the reason people do this is because they're "on" all day, they get home at night and sort of go into a trance, don't particularly want to get mental stimulation or enjoyment from it but don't want to sit in silence either. Just white noise.

Of course, this hypothesis goes out the window when they put on the news and start shouting at the TV. :$

Sometimes I have to put up with Mum’s appalling choice of viewing, which also includes Border Security and I’m a celebrity. The show that makes me insane is RBT. I’m not a violent person, but I would like to savagely beat up the voice over guy.
Mum is also a retired school teacher, so should know better.

Sometimes I have to put up with Mum’s appalling choice of viewing, which also includes Border Security and I’m a celebrity. The show that makes me insane is RBT. I’m not a violent person, but I would like to savagely beat up the voice over guy.
Mum is also a retired school teacher, so should know better.
Maybe it’s a retired teacher thing. Remind me not to do this in 35 years time please.

I sometimes think that the reason people do this is because they're "on" all day, they get home at night and sort of go into a trance, don't particularly want to get mental stimulation or enjoyment from it but don't want to sit in silence either. Just white noise.

Of course, this hypothesis goes out the window when they put on the news and start shouting at the TV. :$
I reckon that could be me and BF! lol.

The Baubax shoe ad on youtube.

Full disclosure; I love their stuff and have backed their three main products on kickstarter. I'd recommend their products to anyone, so long as you don't need to deal with their customer service and delivery teams. All three products have arrived later than advertised. Their shoes were guaranteed (it literally used this word) to arrive by Christmas. They still haven't shipped. I ordered a tshirt with a voucher that they gave me after I complained about their poor advertising. The order was placed on the 30th of December. It is due to arrive on the 3rd of February.

Now because I have visited the kickstarter site to screenshot their poor advertising (the guaranteed by Christmas ad was still there last time I checked) the kickstarted add keeps playing on youtube. That smug woman who starts the ad with "Hey there shoe wearer" just really grinds my gears. I've played FIFA for 20 years now and never have I wanted to throw something at my screen more than when she pops up. "Hey there shoe wearer....." How about you * off and send me my shoes.

/rant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back