Non Lions Discussion 2019

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Saying someone is "the hardest player going around" is a compliment. Saying that a footballer is the "softest player ever" is a disparaging, keyboard put down. Schache has moved on and time for us to do the same.

It’s nothing other then an observation. No different to observing that somebody is quite lean, muscly, over weight, short, tall, ridiculous smart or great with their hands. Schache is soft as opposed to hard.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Vitriol? It’s just an accurate observation.

Bullshit. Plenty of more outside players over the years. Claiming that Schache "is without doubt the softest player ever to play the game" is just an accurate observation is full of it. And I have zero reason to stand up for Schache.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bullshit. Plenty of more outside players over the years. Claiming that Schache "is without doubt the softest player ever to play the game" is just an accurate observation is full of it. And I have zero reason to stand up for Schache.

Polec makes Schache look like Jono Brown

Lonie brothers would be my pick.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
SEN reported that Rozee apparently mentioned to Lukosius that he can’t go to dinner anywhere in Adelaide without being mobbed or something along those lines and that this maybe turned him off the idea of perusing a trade to SA.
I see footballers out for meals and shopping quite a bit in Melbourne and Id say for the most part they are left alone, the exception being in pub/bar scenarios perhaps.

Maybe there is something to the info though and SA players are hassled a bit more day to day over there? Kinda makes sense.

Then again could be bogus.
But it’s interesting nonetheless.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I’m happy to remove the word accurate in that case. Though that doesn’t change that it is an observation. Mitch Robinson is hard, Schache is the other end of the scale to Mitch, the opposite to hard - soft.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
SEN reported that Rozee apparently mentioned to Lukosius that he can’t go to dinner anywhere in Adelaide without being mobbed or something along those lines and that this maybe turned him off the idea of perusing a trade to SA.
I see footballers out for meals and shopping quite a bit in Melbourne and Id say for the most part they are left alone, the exception being in pub/bar scenarios perhaps.

Maybe there is something to the info though and SA players are hassled a bit more day to day over there? Kinda makes sense.

Then again could be bogus.
But it’s interesting nonetheless.
From what I can tell SA footy is another reality, there is genuine hate in the crows and power rivalry and as a result football is taken extremely seriously. I could definitely see how young players from SA would be hassled more than Victorian players.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
From what I can tell SA footy is another reality, there is genuine hate in the crows and power rivalry and as a result football is taken extremely seriously. I could definitely see how young players from SA would be hassled more than Victorian players.
People also seem to hate supporting their clubs whenever they're not successful, want most of the staff sacked most of the time and think half the players are spuds who don't deserve to play for the club. Weird place.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Schache is nothing to 'us'. He's now a Bulldog. As far as I'm concerned, they're all a bunch of soft utensils.
Get some tribalism. Too much love for other clubs' players creeping in here.
Particularly Gold Coast. Still being propped up resulting in compromised after compromised drafts and looked after again way more than they should’ve been. It was ok for us to wallow in s**t without barely any assistance, so why so much for them?

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
Particularly Gold Coast. Still being propped up resulting in compromised after compromised drafts and looked after again way more than they should’ve been. It was ok for us to wallow in s**t without barely any assistance, so why so much for them?

Because the AFL doesn’t want the GCS to seem like a failure, so badly so that they’ll do anything to keep it afloat. The AFL don’t want to admit they failed something, whereas we had three premierships which they thought was enough to justify not giving us that much help.

As it turns out, what we got was perfect!

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
As an aside, former Lions on other lists-

Sam Docherty, Dayne Beams, Jack Crisp, Tom Cutler, James Aish, Pearce Hanley, Jared Polec, Sam Mayes, Tom Rockliff, Lewis Taylor, Jack Redden, Elliott Yeo, Josh Schache.

Very few on that list that I'd want to take back- Elliott Yeo and maybe Sam Docherty if he comes back well from 2 years off injured.

+ Nick Robertson, Josh Walker, Archie Smith??? may find another club.

As an aside, former Lions on other lists-

Sam Docherty, Dayne Beams, Jack Crisp, Tom Cutler, James Aish, Pearce Hanley, Jared Polec, Sam Mayes, Tom Rockliff, Lewis Taylor, Jack Redden, Elliott Yeo, Josh Schache.

Very few on that list that I'd want to take back- Elliott Yeo and maybe Sam Docherty if he comes back well from 2 years off injured.

+ Nick Robertson, Josh Walker, Archie Smith??? may find another club.
I think I would still take Jack Crisp back.
He has been very good for the pies and has hardly missed a game.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I wouldn't worry too much the same thing will happen and most of the top picks will head south. Suns are doomed to fail.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Same/same in my opinion. Its important that Gold Coast work..not just for Gold Coast but for the AFL Competition. If the AFL didnt step in and help us, we would still be wallowing in the mirky mire also. Once they are on their feet, the AFL will cut the umbilical cord and hopefully they start to breath on their own.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Same/same in my opinion. Its important that Gold Coast work..not just for Gold Coast but for the AFL Competition. If the AFL didnt step in and help us, we would still be wallowing in the mirky mire also. Once they are on their feet, the AFL will cut the umbilical cord and hopefully they start to breath on their own.
I hardly think our “help” was anything remotely like what Gold Coast, particularly after waiting nigh on 7-8 years for it.

I hardly think our “help” was anything remotely like what Gold Coast, particularly after waiting nigh on 7-8 years for it.

I'd say that the AFL may have learnt their lesson when it comes to letting teams languish down the bottom too long, especially non traiditional footy state teams. Unfortunately for us we were that lesson. It sucks but hopefully if we find ourselves with issues again in the future, the wait for help won't be so long.

Back