Crows 2020 (non rose coloured glasses edition)

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
For reasons I ant seem to understand, I am really looking forward to the 2020 season. I wonder if Carlton supporters have that same feeling year after year, knowing they are woeful. But regardless, I am keen to see what Nicks can shake and how the boys respond. Someone slap me out of it

For reasons I ant seem to understand, I am really looking forward to the 2020 season. I wonder if Carlton supporters have that same feeling year after year, knowing they are woeful. But regardless, I am keen to see what Nicks can shake and how the boys respond. Someone slap me out of it

No shame in looking forward to it, it's a new dawn really.

It'll be a slog of a year though.

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
A good run of injuries and rapid improvement from our youngsters could see us finish in the 10-14 range.

However, fully expect Saints, Carlton and Melbourne to go past us.

I’m happy for a couple of challenging years if there is a rapid rise in 2022.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ramses Red

Team Captain
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Excitement building. Rather watch a loss if the kids are getting truly stuck in over complacent fossils dropping games through sheer lack of enthusiasm. Keen to see what Nicks is about. Also hoping we play some new draftees and not burry them in the SANFL for a few years

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
No shame in looking forward to it, it's a new dawn really.

It'll be a slog of a year though.
Yeah it is an unknown. At least we won’t carry that burden of being capable of being a flag threat. We can just get on with playing footy

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah it is an unknown. At least we won’t carry that burden of being capable of being a flag threat. We can just get on with playing footy
Blighty on radio did compare our next season with a certain team in '97 that had a bit of a list turnover and new coach. :astonished:

Anything can happen!

Not at all. The other thing is we've still got a fair bit of experience bookending new kids, which should make the next year or two less painful.

Mandrake

Draftee
Jun 1, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
A good run of injuries and rapid improvement from our youngsters could see us finish in the 10-14 range.

However, fully expect Saints, Carlton and Melbourne to go past us.

I’m happy for a couple of challenging years if there is a rapid rise in 2022.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not sure why everyone seems to be writing us off as a finals chance? Apart from Keith (a handy replacement in Doodee) the others that left were part timers last season or well past their best (Betts) and as I recall we were top 4 halfway through the season. Sure the kids will need to develop but look how well O'Brien went when given a go after sitting for at least twelve months behind Jacobs, who hasn't been able to jump for two years.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Before the changes I had concerns of a bottom 4 finish.

I admit I am liking the content from Nicks. But I still see some issues that concern me.

Like most, play the kids more and have effort and I will walk away happy. Cruise through on a pension plan for the oldies and I will stop attending

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
There's something liberating about not expecting much from your team, while also having a new coach/gameplan and some exciting new talent to look forward to seeing.

The last time expectations on the team were this low, they were also paired with the inevitability that we were going to continue doing exactly what we had been doing for years previous.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not sure why everyone seems to be writing us off as a finals chance? Apart from Keith (a handy replacement in Doodee) the others that left were part timers last season or well past their best (Betts) and as I recall we were top 4 halfway through the season. Sure the kids will need to develop but look how well O'Brien went when given a go after sitting for at least twelve months behind Jacobs, who hasn't been able to jump for two years.
It's not unreasonable to be written off for next season, considering the crapness that we have produced in the last 2 years, as well as a truckload of (AFL proven) experience lost during this off-season. But by the same token, there seems to be a hint of rejuvenation by all recent reports, and the fresh faces are looking hungry. What excites me the most right now is that every position in 2020 is up for grabs. Noone is dead set certain at this stage. And players who are likely to remain as regular 22, might be shifting their position to suit the new gameplan.

A big unknown we're heading into 2020!

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who do you think will be our obriens next year then?

Fogarty should be one.
Doedee was already well on his way.

Then it gets a bit tougher to tell.
Jones was unlucky, if he could've nailed some of those shots on goal he had last year he probably couldve finished with nearly 15 goals from several games. Pretty good in your first year.

I'm trying to think of who dominates in SANFL but there isnt a lot really. Poholke and Wilson. McHenry and Strauchan went pretty well at the end. Davis was pretty consistent and looking fit as a fiddle now. Hamill and Butts had some good games. That said fog didn't look anything special in the SANFL before being brought in.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
The thought of Fogarty, Frampton and Tex causing havoc is something to get excited about. Shame about the rest.

Who do you think will be our obriens next year then?

Fogarty should be one.
Doedee was already well on his way.

Then it gets a bit tougher to tell.
Jones was unlucky, if he could've nailed some of those shots on goal he had last year he probably couldve finished with nearly 15 goals from several games. Pretty good in your first year.

I'm trying to think of who dominates in SANFL but there isnt a lot really. Poholke and Wilson. McHenry and Strauchan went pretty well at the end. Davis was pretty consistent and looking fit as a fiddle now. Hamill and Butts had some good games. That said fog didn't look anything special in the SANFL before being brought in.

McHenry is my bet for the next breakout, though Jones also apparently keeping his endurance whilst getting bigger is also a seriously positive development. Both showed some pretty promising signs.

I wouldn't worry as much about who dominates in the SANFL. It's not really a precursor to success at a higher level, and usually is just a case of looking at who played on the inside. The question really is, who has the tools to impact higher?

Though, if we move Himmelberg to playing a loose defender, then he'll be the next big breakout player.

Last edited:

Its probably because we were the second worst team in the league over the course of the second half of the season, and we weakened our list afterwards.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Well there goes Chayce Jones career, just taken the number 1.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Its probably because we were the second worst team in the league over the course of the second half of the season, and we weakened our list afterwards.
Hey if we're going to be s**t anyway, at least we'll be developing younger guys. 2019 was infuriating to me, not only because of the results, but knowing that the coaching group were making short term decisions to save their own asses instead of thinking about what's best for the club long term. At least we won't have to deal with that in 2020.

Pilchard_Adams

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am one who has absolutely no idea how the team will go next season. Plug the right holes with the right people and who knows. I don't think we are that much worse off if we replace Douglas, betts, Jacobs, Mackay, hartigan, Keith, greenwood and Jenkins with Jones, stengle, obrien, mchenry, Butts or McAsey, doedee, Foggarty, mcAdam and a mid draftee.

Baby bombers, Crows edition?

I'm expecting to win 6 to 10 games and probably win some we shouldn't and lose some we shouldn't. But I'm just not sure.

Hey if we're going to be s**t anyway, at least we'll be developing younger guys. 2019 was infuriating to me, not only because of the results, but knowing that the coaching group were making short term decisions to save their own asses instead of thinking about what's best for the club long term. At least we won't have to deal with that in 2020.

Sure, we made it worse than it has to be.

The difficulty is that I'm not sure that we have any real reason to think that the low resource youngsters that we'll have are sufficient to turn us into a contender- now or in the future. Most teams have more, or better, youngsters than we do.

Sprungy

Rookie
Oct 24, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well the TAB has a multitude of betting options . One is ‘ team to lose the most games ‘ they have the Crows second at 6/1 behind Suns.

May 20, 2001
Kufa, Iraq
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Banhammer Big House Under 70s
You don't need slappin' Im with ya.
It's amazing what a difference a new coach can make and what can be achieved with the right mindset. I've been very impressed with Nicks words and for a team that was lost to Pikey I can imagine they will be like you and I, really looking forward to the 2020 season. And whilst actions speak louder than words, I expect to see some new action, fast action, and reinvigorated action.

Back