No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Gold Coast really need such a generous rescue package now that their three guns/keys to their rebuild have re-signed ?

If they play their cards right, the AFL may have created a monster up at the Gold Coast.
You were advocating for them getting more a few months ago.
Too late now, your thinking is why they got gifted stuff for free that out of line with what went on in recent years when our list resources were far worse off.

So Dockers wisely got a pick in draft just before us to make sure not only could they match a bid we were likely to do for Liam Henry but now they ensure they pick someone before that happens.
Is it just Tom Green and Liam Henry likely to be bid on and matched in top 10 of the draft next week ?

You were advocating for them getting more a few months ago.
Too late now, your thinking is why they got gifted stuff for free that out of line with what went on in recent years when our list resources were far worse off.

I was a tad misguided, although I am glad they got a PP.

I do hope the AFL promise to do an annual review of the Suns assistance/rescue package as they said, within 2 years, I can see Gold Coast improving quite a bit.

I was a tad misguided, although I am glad they got a PP.

I do hope the AFL promise to do an annual review of the Suns assistance/rescue package as they said, within 2 years, I can see Gold Coast improving quite a bit.

They had Ben Ainsworth, Peter Wright, Rankine, Luko, Will Brodie, Fioroni, Jack Bowes, Touk Miller, Will Powell and Charlie Ballard already on their list as young talent. Way in excess of what we had when SOS started us from ground zero in 2015 with virtually only Crippa and Docherty of youngish talent to build up from and he inherited Henderson, Yarran and Bell already saying they were leaving before he got there.

Yep, you were more than just a tad misguided mate...lol
Gold Coast only needed help off field and not list resources.
I am disgusted they got any PP given the AFL communicated less than 12 months ago when we were bottom still, that PP were in essence a thing of the past....
Funny how the goal posts move to make it easier for some but for us, find your own extra picks to build with....
I love what SOS did to get creative straight away to get extra picks in 2015 draft without PP's. All clubs should have to do this, not just us...

They had Ben Ainsworth, Peter Wright, Rankine, Luko, Will Brodie, Fioroni, Jack Bowes, Touk Miller, Will Powell and Charlie Ballard already on their list as young talent. Way in excess of what we had when SOS started us from ground zero in 2015 with virtually only Crippa and Docherty of youngish talent to build up from and he inherited Henderson, Yarran and Bell already saying they were leaving before he got there.

Yep, you were more than just a tad misguided mate...lol
Gold Coast only needed help off field and not list resources.
I am disgusted they got any PP given the AFL communicated less than 12 months ago when we were bottom still, that PP were in essence a thing of the past....
Funny how the goal posts move to make it easier for some but for us, find your own extra picks to build with....
I love what SOS did to get creative straight away to get extra picks in 2015 draft without PP's. All clubs should have to do this, not just us...

The fact the Suns were (arguably) the only truly putrid team in 2019 probably made the decision easier for the AFL commission to give them a PP, plus the fact that a couple of teams in the bottom 6 made the finals a year before and Rowell and Anderson are BFFs.

I am far more annoyed that AFL seemingly has given us the most barren Academy zone out of all Vicco clubs more than The Suns Rescue package.

The Dogs for example will be getting a top 5 pick in the draft next year with their academy zone (can't remember his name)

The fact the Suns were (arguably) the only truly putrid team in 2019 probably made the decision easier for the AFL commission to give them a PP, plus the fact that a couple of teams in the bottom 6 made the finals a year before and Rowell and Anderson are BFFs.

I am far more annoyed that AFL seemingly has given us the most barren Academy zone out of all Vicco clubs more than The Suns Rescue package.

The Dogs for example will be getting a top 5 pick in the draft next year with their academy zone (can't remember his name)
I don't think the Suns had that bad a year this year. They lost quite a few close games so could easily have won a few more.
Our academy zone is a joke. Of the area we got there are only a handful of suburbs that these kids might come from. Those suburbs being Preston, Reservoir, West Heidelberg, Lalor and possibly Epping. The rest of the Northern Knights zone is made up of affluent suburbs, such as Ivanhoe, Eaglemont, Rosanna and Eltham. The new suburbs such as Doreen, Mernda and South Morang does not produce many, of any, kids that would qualify for our academy.

Is it just me or does this remind anyone else of a hostage video?

His eyes are silently screaming.

making statements is one thing, making such a fuss over re-signing a young player smacks of desperation - unless it's us, which is different.........

making statements is one thing, making such a fuss over re-signing a young player smacks of desperation - unless it's us, which is different.........

I was hoping the club would throw a ticket tape parade down Lygon St when Sam Walsh signed a contract extension 👍👍👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EFA
You are welcome.

source.gif
:)

As I said before, us having an garbage academy zone, compared to the other vic clubs, is a far bigger injustice to us than Gold Coast getting their rescue package.

Actually disappointed that the bigwigs at Carlton haven't made more of an issue of it publicly, we got screwed.

source.gif
:)

As I said before, us having an garbage academy zone, compared to the other vic clubs, is a far bigger injustice to us than Gold Coast getting their rescue package.

Actually disappointed that the bigwigs at Carlton haven't made more of an issue of it publicly, we got screwed.

I was under the impression that we actually asked for the region we got due to geographical alignment.

It's just possible we have not done a good job developing any kids with talent from these regions.
Just got to get better at it.

How much are we realistically looking to develop in kids who are only potentially future listed? Run clinics, invite a few to train occasionally. I think we chose an unproductive zone mostly.

How much are we realistically looking to develop in kids who are only potentially future listed?
Wish I knew. It is one thing our club has not really communicated with us much about to feel in touch with what we actually doing.
But maybe no talented kid has been in it so far. It is still relatively new but a few clubs have found one or two decent kids so far. Will know more after a decade of having our own zone.

Wish I knew. It is one thing our club has not really communicated with us much about to feel in touch with what we actually doing.
But maybe no talented kid has been in it so far. It is still relatively knew but a few clubs have found one or two decent kids so far.

The ability to change zones the year before the draft to a club of choice is what concerns me. We might have been on the receiving end of a lack of clarity in the rules there already.

I don't think the Suns had that bad a year this year. They lost quite a few close games so could easily have won a few more.
Our academy zone is a joke. Of the area we got there are only a handful of suburbs that these kids might come from. Those suburbs being Preston, Reservoir, West Heidelberg, Lalor and possibly Epping. The rest of the Northern Knights zone is made up of affluent suburbs, such as Ivanhoe, Eaglemont, Rosanna and Eltham. The new suburbs such as Doreen, Mernda and South Morang does not produce many, of any, kids that would qualify for our academy.
There has been an influx of African families in Doreen & Mernda in the last 3-4 years. The club may want to cast the net over these kids & see what they come up with.

There has been an influx of African families in Doreen & Mernda in the last 3-4 years. The club may want to cast the net over these kids & see what they come up with.
Okay, I stand corrected. I live in this zone and have many friends who live in Doreen and Mernda and was not aware of the African families moving in to these suburbs. My nephew plays for Mernda and I have never seen any African kids playing in any of his games so assumed they didn't live around there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back