List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will probably try and watch some of the replays of the Vic Country games. But I watched a replay of the NAB cup Prelim vs Eastern and tried to focus on Flanders.

Flanders played midfield. He looked strong and was able to shrug off tackles. He got a few ground ball disposals but I don't think his handballs were that effective. They seemed rushed and not directed to open players.

He scored well at the combine for agility, yoyo test and jumping. But he did not come across as that mobile around the ground.

He looks like he has got the physique to hold his own at AFL level. But he did not look like a natural inside midfielder. I assume his strengths are when he pushes forward and uses his power and jumping to offer an attacking threat.

Last edited:
I will probably try and watch some of the replays of the Vic Country games. But I watched a replay of the NAB cup Prelim vs Eastern and tried to focus on Flanders.

Flanders played midfield. He looked strong and was able to shrug off tackles. He got a few ground ball disposals but I don't think his handballs were that effective. They seemed rushed and not directed to open players.

He scored well at the combine for agility, yoyo test and jumping. But he did not come across as that mobile around the ground.

Have you seen Robertson play? If so what did you think?

Can’t speak for others but I’m not basing any cringing I do off a highlights package. Seen Flanders all year and parts of last year too. Don’t rate.

I’m the other way. If Flanders is there he’s clearly best available personally. He’s the one I want.

My opinion but don’t rate thst serong as high as others

Poor mans Higgins imo

If we had Carlton’s pick 9-10 then he’d be a nice selection, do feel pick 5/6 is too high

Robertson and Stephens are in a similar range from what I’ve seen.

Around 5-12 could almost go anywhere.
IMO the key to who we take may be who is most likely to play out their careers at one club & who is most likely to have the tendancies to not get swayed to go home. Which one of these lads has that character to want to be a one club player.

It's a big part of the interview process.

IMO the key to who we take may be who is most likely to play out their careers at one club & who is most likely to have the tendancies to not get swayed to go home. Which one of these lads has that character to want to be a one club player.

It's a big part of the interview process.

Still rather take the best available at 5/6 though. Back our system, we don't lose many, and so long as we don't play mids as back pockets, we will give that player games early as we are in a rebuild.

So what's the consensus on GWS if a bid for Green comes at 3?
To have traded up as much as the giants have they must really have their sights set on someone. Would they pass up that player for Green knowing they don't have a 1st next year and their next pick isn't till 40 this year?

If all this is true surely its worth asking the question of Melbourne to see if they would consider swapping picks.
From their perspective it either takes GWS off the board if they match the bid or they have one team picking before them for a player they might want and it retains their pick 10 in the draft order rather than pushing it to 11 if they didn't pick swap.

I feel like that's a win win scenario for Melbourne. They basically only go back 1 spot in the draft (since they know we bid on Green) with their first pick and they effectively reduce their pick 11 (after a matched bid) to a pick 10. It's a big win for the swans and its a failed gamble for GWS to get 2 top 5 picks the year after playing a grand final.

The only sticking point would be what it would cost us in picks.

So what's the consensus on GWS if a bid for Green comes at 3?
To have traded up as much as the giants have they must really have their sights set on someone. Would they pass up that player for Green knowing they don't have a 1st next year and their next pick isn't till 40 this year?

If all this is true surely its worth asking the question of Melbourne to see if they would consider swapping picks.
From their perspective it either takes GWS off the board if they match the bid or they have one team picking before them for a player they might want and it retains their pick 10 in the draft order rather than pushing it to 11 if they didn't pick swap.

I feel like that's a win win scenario for Melbourne. They basically only go back 1 spot in the draft (since they know we bid on Green) with their first pick and they effectively reduce their pick 11 (after a matched bid) to a pick 10. It's a big win for the swans and its a failed gamble for GWS to get 2 top 5 picks the year after playing a grand final.

The only sticking point would be what it would cost us in picks.

GWS wouldn't have traded up if Melbourne were bidding at 3. Would be more than stupid on their behalf.

We are getting the player we want at 5/6 anyway. Plus we'd lose more than you'd think out of a trade up. If we didn't in the 2 and a bit weeks of pick swapping, we won't on the day of the draft. We are more likely to look at upgrading our second rounder (one of Geelong's late firsts would be tempting). It would make sense too as the draft is likely to thin out after 25 ish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

didn't Leon Davis get dropped for the grandfinal replay and consequently didn't play in a premiership

Pretty sure it was the opposite. Did not play in the first Grand Final because of injury but did play in the following because the extra week meant he was fit. Could be wrong but my point still stands that team success is a terrible way of judging an individual player.

Pretty sure it was the opposite. Did not play in the first Grand Final because of injury but did play in the following because the extra week meant he was fit. Could be wrong but my point still stands that team success is a terrible way of judging an individual player.

Pretty sure you are correct.

100% your wrong about Davis.

I do agree with you about judging a player just because they have premiership medal

Not really an argument worth having, there are plenty of other players to use as an example

Premiership stars Toby Thurstans, Aaron Shattock, Mark Blake, Mark Seaby

vs Premiership-less hacks Bob Skilton, Gary Ablett, Tony Lockett, Matthew Pavlich

Why would you cringe?

Dalrymple's history suggests he has some idea about what he is doing.

I am excited to see who he will pick. I don't really care who it is to be honest.

I'm not saying you are like this, but most of the people who write and comment about this stuff and claim to be experts, watch a few highlights on YouTube and then just regurgitate what other people have said.

As an example Hayden Young and, to a lesser extent, Caleb Serong were all top 5 locks two weeks ago. Now all of the sudden, all of the 'experts' agree Young is probably going to go out of the top 5 and Serong close to out of the top 10.

Well what changed? They didn't play any more games.

If we choose Flanders, Id be really confident that he belongs at our pick.

I've maintained for a few months now that I would like us to prioritise class/composure/skill over anything else with our highest pick in a decade.

I'll happily admit I'm wrong if, one day, midfield bulls start leading sides to premiership glory with their toughness and attack on the footy, rather than their class or nous, though based on the flag fortunes so far of players like Dangerfield, Fyfe, Cripps, Oliver, Sloane, Cunnington and Wines, I don't think I'll have to.

He looks like he has got the physique to hold his own at AFL level. But he did not look like a natural inside midfielder. I assume his strengths are when he pushes forward and uses his power and jumping to offer an attacking threat.

Be careful saying a guy playing in the midfield might be better suited playing elsewhere.. could get you in trouble around here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back