EPL Matchday 13

I reckon VAR is the worst thing that's come into football since diving became so prevalent.
We can't go back to offside goals being counted almost every week. All they can do is just try to improve the tech to make the close calls look clearer.

We can't go back to offside goals being counted almost every week. All they can do is just try to improve the tech to make the close calls look clearer.

To be honest I did like the suggestion that people are happy for VAR to intervene for obvious offsides, and not for minute ones. The solution being ditch the tech and use replays to judge offside just like any other foul. If it's clear and obvious, overturn it, if you can't determine it with the naked eye, then allow it.

Then you get rid of the obvious errors like Chelsea v Cardiff without making it a buzzkill.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
To be honest I did like the suggestion that people are happy for VAR to intervene for obvious offsides, and not for minute ones. The solution being ditch the tech and use replays to judge offside just like any other foul. If it's clear and obvious, overturn it, if you can't determine it with the naked eye, then allow it.

Then you get rid of the obvious errors like Chelsea v Cardiff without making it a buzzkill.

My thoughts exactly. If you need computer analysis to call an offside than let it go. If you can pick up an offside with the naked eye by all means disallow a goal.

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
He doesn't need to flag anything VAR checks all goals
Id rather he flags his opinion straight after the play than just let it go to VAR. At least then the fans and players know that there is every chance it wont be a goal and to not celebrate.

The linesman raised his flag well after the goal, and only after Atkinson went over to speak to him.

If you look at the footage the goal is scored at 92.46 and the flag is raised at 93.37, nearly a minute after.

I don't know why the FA said that it was an on field decision. What is irritating me much more than the actual decisions is the authorities talking utter bollocks to justify another s**t decision.

Villa well on top here. Atmosphere is chalk and cheese compared to 2015/16.

If Villa win in matchday 14, they will have matched their 2015/16 tally too (17 points).

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
Newcastle were lucky we didn't put 4-5 past them. That should have at least been 3-0 with Wesley's shot at Dubravka but Konsa also should have scored his header in the second half as well as a number of other opportunities not being taken.

We looked alright but Newcastle were trash so I won't judge too much on this one. We've looked decent all season but keep giving away late goals with loss of concentration.

We should be alright to survive.

Back