Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalrymple's take on the draft...
Strength of this draft is in midfield and medium defenders
Top end talent not as strong as other years
Deeper depth in the draft so confident mid range picks will get a good player
Seemed to know a lot about Jackson, met with him and Cox feedback on him
Ash, Kemp, Flanders, Young all mentioned for Pick 5.

I like the way Dalrymple goes about it.
My guess than is Kemp for 5 than, after a bid on green.
25 &32 will be a rebounder like Rivers,cooper Stephens, Ralphsmith, Schoenberg, day & Gould if still there. (Dawson to Play majority of time as a midfielder.)
A ruck at later pick if one they like is available.
If Melb take Jackson without bidding on green, than they deserve the all condemnation plus some more. Of course they will be geniuses if it works out. Bit of pressure on Jackson.

Last edited:
I like the way Dalrymple goes about it.
My guess than is Kemp for 5 than, after a bid on green.
25 &32 will be a rebounder like Rivers,cooper Stephens, Ralphsmith, Schoenberg, day & Gould if still there. (Dawson to Play majority of time as a midfielder.)
A ruck at later pick if one they like is available.
If Melb take Jackson without bidding on green, than they deserve the all condemnation plus some more. Of course they will be geniuses if it works out. Bit of pressure on Jackson.

Our first two picks should be mids. Maybe look at a rebounder at 32

An awful way of judging a player. It is like saying Leon Davis was a better player than Tony Lockett as Leon won a premiership and Tony didn't.

It's a team sport so if it's ok by you, I'll make my judgements by how the whole team performs with that player as part of it.
I am saying he gets elevated to supreme status based on individual stats. He was more successful as part of the Swans team than he has been as a Hawk.
Individually as a Hawk, BRILLIANT.............BRAVO, BRAVO!

He has played in 10 finals for 3 wins, all with the Swans, losing all finals at the Hawks, despite playing the majority of them all on his team's home ground, the MCG.
He has averaged 23 disposals in those 10 finals.
He has averaged 30 disposals in 101 H & A games.

Yet another fine individual player thus far in his career.

I am happy to say I see things very differently to some on here.
I follow the Sydney Swans Football Club, not the Tom Papley or Buddy Franklin Individual Brilliance Association.
When they are in different colours, I support our new players to make an impact on our team, no matter where they have come from or how poor their skills may seem to some.
As long as they make a contribution to help us get to where we need to in order to once again strike, then I will support them.

Not really an argument worth having, there are plenty of other players to use as an example

Premiership stars Toby Thurstans, Aaron Shattock, Mark Blake, Mark Seaby

vs Premiership-less hacks Bob Skilton, Gary Ablett, Tony Lockett, Matthew Pavlich

All those players are p'ship players because they made sacrifices to their own games for the benefit of the team.
Jack Riewoldt is a prime example of such a player who is the main focus of the team, making them more predictable as a team, us with Buddy is the same. Since Riewoldt has become a "bit player" of that forward set up he has won 2 p'ships. Barry Hall for us was the same. Bob Skilton just happened to play for a very poor team.
The "Premiership-less hacks" would tell you they'd take a p'ship over individual honours any day.

Given the evenness after Green I'm still happy to trade down if it means upgrading our second pick. I really want to get in Cooper Stephens to go with someone like Kemp. If Jackson is still on the board perhaps there will be teams keen to grab him.

Whatabout our picks 5 + 32 for Port's picks 12 and 16?

Say we miss Kemp we might end with a combo of Schoenberg and Cooper Stephens = next gen midfield sorted.

Given the evenness after Green I'm still happy to trade down if it means upgrading our second pick. I really want to get in Cooper Stephens to go with someone like Kemp. If Jackson is still on the board perhaps there will be teams keen to grab him.

Whatabout our picks 5 + 32 for Port's picks 12 and 16?

Say we miss Kemp we might end with a combo of Schoenberg and Cooper Stephens = next gen midfield sorted.

Pass thanks. Quality is still in the top 5-6 and we are there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pass thanks. Quality is still in the top 5-6 and we are there.
This sounds like quality to me - certainly doesn't read too much under Robertson, and seems the better kick. To be able to grab two for the price of one with adding Cooper Stephens......got to consider IMHO. One of the two would have to end up being bloody good. Could be both!

15. Harry Schoenberg

Best position:
Inside midfield

Height, weight: 182cm, 83kg

Recruited from: Woodville-West Torrens

Projected draft range: 20-40

Plays like: Dylan Shiel

October Ranking: 17

Rationale: Rocketed into the draft discussion on the back of his Under-18 Championships performances where he was South Australia's most prolific midfielder and won his state's MVP award. On review of Under-18 Championships play moves up.

Strengths: Contested ball-winning, wins first possession on the move, high work rate and is always on the move whether at stoppages or around the ground, endurance, agility, acceleration to burst away from stoppages, strength to shrug tackles, tackling, smothers, skills by hand and foot, vision, evasion, impact per possession, courage

Weaknesses: Unclear versatility, scoreboard impact

This sounds like quality to me - certainly doesn't read too much under Robertson, and seems the better kick. To be able to grab two for the price of one with adding Cooper Stephens......got to consider IMHO. One of the two would have to end up being bloody good. Could be both!

15. Harry Schoenberg

Best position:
Inside midfield

Height, weight: 182cm, 83kg

Recruited from: Woodville-West Torrens

Projected draft range: 20-40

Plays like: Dylan Shiel

October Ranking: 17

Rationale: Rocketed into the draft discussion on the back of his Under-18 Championships performances where he was South Australia's most prolific midfielder and won his state's MVP award. On review of Under-18 Championships play moves up.

Strengths: Contested ball-winning, wins first possession on the move, high work rate and is always on the move whether at stoppages or around the ground, endurance, agility, acceleration to burst away from stoppages, strength to shrug tackles, tackling, smothers, skills by hand and foot, vision, evasion, impact per possession, courage

Weaknesses: Unclear versatility, scoreboard impact

Doesn’t to me. Rather Flanders or Kemp or Ash at 5/6.

Keep pick 5/6 but then look to use our second with a future pick to upgrade to one of the later Geelong picks for instance

Doesn’t to me. Rather Flanders or Kemp or Ash at 5/6.

Keep pick 5/6 but then look to use our second with a future pick to upgrade to one of the later Geelong picks for instance
Yeah don't mind using 5/6 at all as long as we can upgrade our second pick somehow - might be very hard to do given all clubs would be looking at the same drop off we are from about 20-22.
Happy to take Kemp lower down - really do think he will drop. Club officials want immediate results. Particularly clubs near the bottom. If we want him there has got to be a deal somewhere - even if it's just swap picks with Carlton or Freo and get next year second.
If we take Ash at 5/6 I'll have an aneurysm.

Yeah don't mind using 5/6 at all as long as we can upgrade our second pick somehow - might be very hard to do given all clubs would be looking at the same drop off we are from about 20-22.
Happy to take Kemp lower down - really do think he will drop. Club officials want immediate results. Particularly clubs near the bottom. If we want him there has got to be a deal somewhere - even if it's just swap picks with Carlton or Freo and get next year second.
If we take Ash at 5/6 I'll have an aneurysm.

Actually think GWS will take Ash anyway although if I were them Young is a Shaw replacement. One of the two will be off the table.

I'm all for upgrading the second but wouldn't be using our first this year or next year, way too risky with our first next year, could be a top 5 pick next year. That would be before all the compromised selections.

Are we there yet?

Please say we are.
Two sleeps 'til AFL Christmas.
Chances are you won't be able to play with the big present you've been thinking about for months. If it's Kemp it might be even longer.
Based on past experience it'll be the stocking filler you didn't even think you wanted that gets the most play.

I’m beginning to hope we get Ash and young.

Don’t mind Ash at 6 actually he’s the one rebounder I don’t mind, he’s in my preferences. Young isn’t hope he’s taken by GWS

Kemp won’t slide. We’d be mad not to take him at 5.

An ACL injury and only half an U18s season in an average draft year supposedly makes him drop out of the top 10, yet Max King has the same injury and plays even less footy but goes in the top five in a superdraft? Yup OK..

Kemp won’t slide. We’d be mad not to take him at 5.

An ACL injury and only half an U18s season in an average draft year supposedly makes him drop out of the top 10, yet Max King has the same injury and plays even less footy but goes in the top five in a superdraft? Yup OK..
beginning to think you may be right.. after listening to Dalrymple

Not that I have a great knowledge of any of the players we may draft at 5/6 but I am starting to lean again towards Serong. The risk of going home is certainly reduced with him being an avid Swans supporter and up until a month ago he was rated as a top 5 selection.
He is a fair dinkum inside mid which is what we desperately need. I realise there is a lot of talk about the two academy kids we will pick up next year but are they actually inside mids? I'm not sure.
In today's Herald Sun, Gary Buckenara rated Serong as the 6th best player in the draft even though he has slid to as low as 10th in some recent phantom drafts.
So, I'll be quite happy if we go down this path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back