Preview 2019 Goodbye (To 2020) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised that people aren't pointing out more how we hear the same exact narrative at this time of the year for the last 3 years.

It has consistently been said by players, coaches and footy dept execs that our skill has been poor, and at the start of the pre-season we are emphasising skill improvement in addition to the necessary fitness goals.

Additionally, we always hear the "we get the ball in our forward half and have plenty of inside 50s but we need to clean up our conversion a bit more."

Like, if this was a one off I would happily buy what they're saying. But I've heard it for the past 3 pre-seasons now. And it's the same people running the show, which gives me all the more skepticism that they're actually going to fix these core issues that are plaguing the on-field performance of the club.

Is it too late to change our minds about re-rookieing Grundy??

I'm surprised that people aren't pointing out more how we hear the same exact narrative at this time of the year for the last 3 years.

It has consistently been said by players, coaches and footy dept execs that our skill has been poor, and at the start of the pre-season we are emphasising skill improvement in addition to the necessary fitness goals.

Additionally, we always hear the "we get the ball in our forward half and have plenty of inside 50s but we need to clean up our conversion a bit more."

Like, if this was a one off I would happily buy what they're saying. But I've heard it for the past 3 pre-seasons now. And it's the same people running the show, which gives me all the more skepticism that they're actually going to fix these core issues that are plaguing the on-field performance of the club.
Lol every club does the same.
Would you rather they say ‘ no comment’ for the whole 10 minute interview?

Lol every club does the same.
Would you rather they say ‘ no comment’ for the whole 10 minute interview?

I would rather them say something that shows any hint of suggestion that they might be actually able to rectify the issues they've had the past 3 seasons. Every season it has been the same. It is one thing to say "We need to clean up the forward half." That sounds great. Weve heard it the last 2 years because it hasnt been rectified. We all know it is an issue. Stop telling us it is an issue and perhaps offer any little bit of insight that it might actually get fixed this season.

Even a few lines like "our forward half entry hasn't been good for a number of years. As such the coaches are structurally changing a few things in training surrounding our drills and we are analysing film with a greater emphasis on a few things we believe will assist us in that area."

Just give us a touch more detail than telling us the "what" of our problem. Every single person on the planet that follows AFL knows our what. Until they even acknowledge that the how needs to change, they're not going anywhere.

I might be overreacting, but this is ultimately symptomatic of the same BS we have seen throughout the club ever since Hinkley got extended.

Officially or is it just a bad juju scenario?

This bloke just can’t football!
We've said that we intend to rookie list him. Can't really go back on that. He's also still training at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would rather them say something that shows any hint of suggestion that they might be actually able to rectify the issues they've had the past 3 seasons. Every season it has been the same. It is one thing to say "We need to clean up the forward half." That sounds great. Weve heard it the last 2 years because it hasnt been rectified. We all know it is an issue. Stop telling us it is an issue and perhaps offer any little bit of insight that it might actually get fixed this season.

Even a few lines like "our forward half entry hasn't been good for a number of years. As such the coaches are structurally changing a few things in training surrounding our drills and we are analysing film with a greater emphasis on a few things we believe will assist us in that area."

Just give us a touch more detail than telling us the "what" of our problem. Every single person on the planet that follows AFL knows our what. Until they even acknowledge that the how needs to change, they're not going anywhere.

I might be overreacting, but this is ultimately symptomatic of the same BS we have seen throughout the club ever since Hinkley got extended.
"Our forward half entries weren't good last year. So this year we will work harder at trying to do what didn't work last year"

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have too heard spp really looking good and is hungry to have a big year hope he does

Fitness/skinfolds isn't an issue with peps. He absolutely killed it on the track last pre season and seemed to forget how to kick or slow down with that extra spring in his step. Hopefully he can put the two together. I remember being surprisingly impressed with his kicking in his first year, this year not so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back