Caolan Mooney

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would actually like to see Mooney get a run this week.
He has shown glimpses recently whereby he has taken the game on and has the strength now to be at least given an opportunity at the highest level.
How much further development does he need in the magoos to continue on as a player on our list?
I say put him up forward in the pocket for an entire match and see what he can do.

Seriously apart from Broomhead, has the likes of Blair and even Kennedy to a degree offered a great deal playing this role all year?

popin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers, Craig lowndes
I would actually like to see Mooney get a run this week.
He has shown glimpses recently whereby he has taken the game on and has the strength now to be at least given an opportunity at the highest level.
How much further development does he need in the magoos to continue on as a player on our list?
I say put him up forward in the pocket for an entire match and see what he can do.

Seriously apart from Broomhead, has the likes of Blair and even Kennedy to a degree offered a great deal playing this role all year?
Maybe leave Broomhead and Kennedy out of it as they have not played all year and plus been the sub

Last edited:

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
How's Mooney's crumbing ability?

Mar 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
How's Mooney's crumbing ability?
Crumbing ability is probably not strong, having said that if he can utilise his speed, create space and provide a target, then he is probably doing as much as our non existent crumbers anyway.
Besides with only two games to go, there is nothing to lose.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Marty Clarke precedent says giving Irish kids a second chance doesn’t work.

I know Taigh Kennelly went home for a year but he was very established at that time. He came back successfully but this is five years, not one.

Good luck to him if he gets another chance. He definitely showed some promise last time around
Clarke had then undiagnosed Addison’s disease during his second stint.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good luck to him but a little too one dimensional run and gun style player for mine.

But could be a handy addition for a VFL club. Not very much speed and X factor at state level. Doubt he comes here just to play state league footy though

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nov 2, 2004
Yulee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Marty Clarke precedent says giving Irish kids a second chance doesn’t work.

I know Taigh Kennelly went home for a year but he was very established at that time. He came back successfully but this is five years, not one.

Good luck to him if he gets another chance. He definitely showed some promise last time around

Pretty small sample pool to base a second chance Irish policy upon.

You’d have to assume he’s been talking to someone (presumably Collingwood) who has expressed an interest in picking him up. It would be a bit weird and presumptuous to just throw himself into the draft sight unseen after five years.
I agree. Especially since I don't believe he is even in Australia? Less alone been playing any footy.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You’d have to assume he’s been talking to someone (presumably Collingwood) who has expressed an interest in picking him up. It would be a bit weird and presumptuous to just throw himself into the draft sight unseen after five years.

100%, he wouldn't nominate without a club expressing interest beforehand... and there's a strong chance it'll be us.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
I remember he looked the goods
Did a hammy and that was that

I reckon if he can be a cat b worth bringing him home
Even if he is eligible to be picked up as a Category B Rookie, we already have (the maximum) 3 of them on our list, so I just can't see that happening.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Even if he is eligible to be picked up as a Category B Rookie, we already have (the maximum) 3 of them on our list, so I just can't see that happening.

Unless we promote 1 which I think we can still do.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Unless we promote 1 which I think we can still do.
We're very light on for list spots though, even more so if we pick up Lynden Dunn again, which we probably will do.

Perhaps if Mooney comes back and plays VFL this year and does well he might be a mid-year rookie draft chance, but I wouldn't want us using one of our few remaining list spots on him (pre-season).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back