Draft Watcher Snoop Dog 2019 Mock National and Rookie Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Here is the 2019 version. Lot of fun putting it together. Couple of standout points;

- Not many quality talls so think a fair chance a few go ahead probably where people would have in a talent ranking
- Its pretty even. First 20 are all potentially very good players
- The pick swaps on the night will be significant. I think a number of clubs are wanting to get into the first 20-25.

Enjoy,

# 1 Gold Coast

Matt Rowell / Oakleigh / 180cm / 78kg

Absolute A grader and one of the best prospects have seen for some time. Footy smarts in spades, tough, good ball user and most importantly influences games.

Why / Who else - Clear standout for #1.

# 2 Gold Coast

Noah Anderson / Oakleigh / 191cm / 86kg

Watched a lot of him at Oakleigh and one of the best have seen through the middle and forward. Just so clean and effective with the ball.

Why / Who else - Nobody

#3 Melbourne

Luke Jackson East Fremantle / 199cm / 84kg

Genuine top 3 - 5 contender and a real chance to land at the Demons at 3. He is very similar to Grundy is his draft year insomuch as very athletically blessed, hunts the ball all over the ground, uses it well. Solid enough and you can just how he will fill out. Havent seen a lot of him forward but the little I have suggests enough to work with. Major difference to Grundy for mine is his leap.

Why / Who else – Wont slip past # 4. Think Young only other contender here but word is Ash is coming with a ‘rush’.

# 4 GIANTS

Lachlan Ash / Murray Bushrangers/ 187cm / 83kg

High end talent who has enormous speed and strength. Will start as a HB flanker but has scope to go in the midfield. His defensive side is very good but it’s his power away from the contest combined with his speed and ball use that makes him a weapon for whoever lands him.

Why / Who else – It opens up here as not sure they have made their selection. If not Jackson one of Ash, Young or Flanders.

# 5 GIANTS (MB)

Tom Green / GWS / 188cm / 85kg

The GWS Academy member who is a big inside midfielder in the Cripps mould. Strong and powerful reads the game well, wins first possession and uses it by hand and foot well. Not overly blessed with speed so going to be an interesting transition for him but he is a player.

# 6 Sydney

Sam Flanders / Gippsland Power / 183cm / 81kg

Been a big fan for sometime. Midfielder who is just a beast and will win first possession and make good decisions clearing it. Also has the ability to play on the outside and really influence games. He can also double as a dangerous HF. He is going to go high because he just breathes a 200 game career and an ability to influence games.

Why / Who else – Swans need a big inside midfielder. Kemp would be a slight reach but type they could really like. Robertson and Serong would be in the mix. Ultimately think that Hawks will try and get this pick and take McAsey. Swans would have their pick of a few high end inside mids at #13 and get another first rounder for next year!

# 7 Adelaide

Fischer McAsey / Sandringham Dragons / 197cm / 91kg

I like this kid. Quality key position player who just knows where to be to intercept and how to out body his opponent. Can also play forward and looks to have some smarts there that will appeal to clubs but just such a good key defender think you would let him develop there. Been impressive at all levels.

Why / Who else – Hard to let Stephens past as also a player that is around this mark and the type Crows need. Having said that I suspect Hawks will get to pick 6 and take McAsey in which case I think they will take Stephens and Finlay or Hilder later.

# 8 Fremantle

Hayden Young / Dandenong / 188cm / 82kg

Love this kid and have had him at high end of this draft all year. Reads the game exceptionally well and uses it on defence and attack. Really clean, makes elite decisions and can back them up with devasting ball use. Scope to move up the ground as well.

Why / Who else – Just to good to pass up. If GIANTS went Flanders or Young then could see Ash here.

# 9 Fremantle

Dylan Stephens / Norwood / 183cm / 69kg

Elite athlete who has been on the scene at SA level for a while and is highly regarded by his SA coaches. Midfield is his go but will be interesting to see where he lands in the draft as has played more outside than inside in games I have seen. That doesn’t necessarily mean he cant win footy on the inside. Either way cannot see it impacting his ranking given Macrae and Whitfield were similar at same age. Like them is a natural athlete with good endurance and running power. Has a bit of speed when he needs it and can find space where others cannot. Ball use is high end as well so the comparisons with those other two are fair.

Why / Who else – If they take Young first then given Longmuir wants run then I suspect Stephens is picked ahead of Robertson. If Ash got through to #8 then maybe they would look at Robertson. Close call either way.

# 10 Fremantle (MB)

Liam Henry / Claremont / 180cm / 70kg

Great package this kid. Incredible highlight reel and when he is on you wont stop him. Has that Walters sort of feel about him. Agile, reads game, creative, wonderful skill and can play through the forward half but will absolutely be able to go into the midfield. Suspect he sees games early but he does need to build out a bit.

Why / Who else – Did well to get their picks in as I have Carlton, melbourne and Hawks into him.

# 11 Carlton

Caleb Serong / Gippsland / 179cm / 82kg

Think Rob Gray. Have seen a lot of Caleb and has real presence on the ground. He doesn’t need a lot of footy to influence a game from HF or through the midfield. Some things to work on but he has a lot of talent and his ceiling is high.

Why / Who else – I think Carlton should bid on Maginness. Be a great fit for them. Would think Kemp is in mix as have put the work into him and Miles Bergman would be another I reckon would be a nice fit.

# 12 Melbourne

Kysiah Pickett / WWT / 171cm / 71kg

Really exciting small forward type who is just loaded with talent. Blessed with great agility, speed and explosiveness, magnificent leap and has that x factor about him in spades. Good in close and has very clean hands and makes good decisions. Will apply the defensive pressure the other way as well. The knock is his consistency but that will come. Coming with a rush this kid. Scouts love him.

Why / Who else – I don’t think Melbourne will have this pick. I think they may split is rumoured and take one of Pickett or Weightman and then a classy ball user such as Bergman / Serong.

# 13 Hawthorn

Brodie Kemp / Bendigo / 192cm / 82kg

Powerful HF and mid type from Bendigo who got hurt at Champs and hence haven’t seen much of since. At his best he is a dangerous player and potentially a really top end talent in the pool. Got good movement on his and looks have real footy smarts about him. He is composed with ball in hand and his decisions hurt opposition. Be interesting to see where he goes but I think it is still pretty high.

Why / Who else – would love McAsey and suspect they will trade up to get him. Have to be a chance to look at a quality small forward. Worrall or De Koning would be talls they could look at but I think they have put a bit of work into Kemp. Serong would be another and could even go small forward.

# 14 Port Adelaide

Miles Bergman / Sandringham Dragons / 190cm / 77kg

I think some are still jury out on him but I loved what I saw at the carnival and even more so what have seen since. HF / Wing type but he could play back as well. Reads the game so well, covers the ground with his running, plays inside and out, good in the air, got a bit of x factor and a really good user. One of those that has a high footy IQ. He will appeal to clubs big time. I think could land around the 10 – 15 mark

Why / Who else – Could be chasing a tall, small forward or classy mid. If Fremantle don’t hit Robertson he could well be here as hard to know what they will prioritise

# 15 Western Bulldogs

Cody Weightman / Dandenong / 177cm/ 73kg

Smart and skillful small forward who plays with genuine energy and aggression. He is going to appeal to clubs as someone who will just compete all day and work with coaching staff and players in a team environment.

Why / Who else – Pickett but really could be one of many as they don’t really want for much. Bergman a big chance here as well.

# 16 Geelong

Deven Robertson Perth / 184cm / 81kg

Just a warrior this kid. Absolutely loves the contest in a way that reminds you of Selwood and he just racks up getting footy. Real leader and whilst a slight knock on ball use he is the sort of player that would go well in a finals series so rates high.

Why / Who else – I think they will go a tall first unless there is a mid that slides like Robertson or Kemp. If they wanted Cooper Stephens or Bergman now might have to be the time

Why / Who else - they will take the Selwood v2.o if he is available. if not might need to get a tall here or look at a Stephens or Rivers. Bergman if he is here a great pick.

# 17 Gold Coast

Will Day / West Adelaide / 189cm / 76kg

Lightly framed kid who did went at Champs and who offers a lot of scope. Ticks the box in all the athletic traits, has good footy IQ and a very good ball user. His trajectory is good but I think his contested side is reasonable but he could probably improve it a bit and get a better balance between his inside and outside work given he wins most of his footy off the contest.

Why / Who else – Will Gould / Trent Rivers / Trent Bianco

# 18 Port Adelaide

Sam De Koning / Dandenong / 201cm / 86kg

Really excited by this kid. Didn’t really have a close eye on him but he really stood up at Champs for me as a key defender. His agility and closing speed were fantastic and combined it with a really good ability to read the attackers coming at him. Got good clean hands and is a good ball user.

Why / Who else – If Pickett was here they would hit him wouldn’t they. They may end up having to trade up to get him. Bergman is another have had in this spot.

# 19 Hawthorn (MB)

Finn Maginess / Sandringham Dragons / 187cm / 80kg

Real big wrap for this kid and think a genuine chance of being bid anywhere from 9-10. His best games are very top end and he has a real influence on them. Bargain get here.

# 20 Geelong

Josh Worrall / Sandringham Dragons / 195cm / 83kg

Tall, athletic and got some genuine scope back and forward. I really enjoy watching him play because he reads it so well, gets in to good spots and makes good decisions. Very influential at his best and a good ball user. Got some filling out to do and have seen types like Worrell drop as a result.

Why / Who else – Depends on what happens the pick earlier. If they nabbed a tall do they take another depending on who of Jones, De Koning and Worrall is available or hit a Stephens / Rivers / Bergman / Sharp etc.

# 21 Port Adelaide

Jeremy Sharp / East Fremantle / 187cm / 79kg

Really like this kid and think he has some real footy smarts about him. Just knows where to be all the time and is good inside and outside the contest. His kicking can probably be cleaned up a touch but appeals as a winger / utility type who just seems he belongs in the highest grade. Athletically very good and seems to have good running power and burst of speed when required. His agility in game is very good, with him and is really good in the air and clean on the ground.

Why / Who else – Last selection and given Mead will be the last Sharp gives them the polish to put around the inside mids they have and will add to. If Cody Weightman or Pickett go to here I could see them taking him.

# 22 Richmond

Trent Rivers / East Fremantle / 189cm / 85kg

Big bodied HB / Midfielder type who shows real intent and hardness at the contest. Think he probably starts as more a HB type where he can lock down and then attack. His decision making and ball use are effective and he shows a bit of power and speed in his running. Beauty of this kid is doesn’t really have a weakness.

Why / Who else – A classy HB such as Bianco or quality inside mid like Stephens or Rivers if they got to here. Have also had them looking at players like Georgiades and Jones. Hard to know what the club with everything wants.

# 23 Gold Coast

Will Gould / Glenelg / 192cm / 100kg

Ready to go this fella. No doubt he will get the body in good shape to walk into a side Round 1 next year. Damaging HB who can lock down players but also attack off the back. He uses it really well and opens the play up with that penetrating kick and good decision making. Got genuine leadership qualities and hence only issue is he needs to get that body in AFL trim and does he have the speed and endurance required.

Why / Who else – Be a great fit for Gold Coast.

# 24 Brisbane

Trent Bianco / Oakleigh / 178cm / 73kg

Going to be an outstanding HB and potential wing type at AFL level. He is a class act and another seen a bit of over last couple of years. Clean, decision making and ball use will put him at the pointy end of a lot of clubs draft boards. Could go as high as 15-20 for mine. Very draftable player. Great leader.

Why / Who else – would Gould get to here? Day would be another.

# 25 Adelaide

Cooper Stephens / Geelong 188cm / 85kg

Hard inside midfielder with the outstanding ability to win the ball and make good really good decisions by hand or foot. We didnt get to see him much this year so was off the radar. That being said, I have had him rated all year and his combine results have shown he has kept himself in really good nick so expect he will go around the 20-30 range.

Why / Who else – So many different ways they could go but I think Smith and Milera push up the ground so someone like Day is a nice fit.

# 26 Adelaide

Jay Rantall / GWV / 185cm / 83kg

Been playing basketball and might surprise on draft night given has so much upside. Been a bit up and down but had some fine performances including those at Champs. Really effective at stoppages and has wonderful vision and has that ability to play inside and out. Athletically strong and will use it to take the game on and be prepared to run both ways. The knock on him is kicking but his upside is significant so he goes earlier than people might think.

Why / Who else – I reckon a kid called Fraser Phillips is a classic crows selection. They love a bolter.

# 27 Geelong

Harrison Jones / Calder Cannons / 194cm / 75kg

Another who has had an up and down year and hence really hard to get a read on where he might go. Tall forward who can also go back and hence will be interesting to see where clubs think his best spot is. At his best he influences games. Got good agility and speed for his size and he can get separation on his opponent. Hands and skills are good so everything there to work with its the gulf between best and worst that’s the issue.

Why / Who else – Rantall would be one for sure and Fraser Phillips comes in around here. If haven’t taken a tall Georgiades a chance as here he has admirers around here.

# 28 Port Adelaide (MB)

Jackson Mead/ WWT / 183cm / 83kg

Not overly tall but a powerful inside ball winner and gives his team first use. Probably doesn’t have a stand out trick but he does everything pretty well and has won praise from the coaches aroudn him. Suspect will get bid mid 20's and cannot see Port passing on him.

# 29 Sydney

Sam Philp / Northern Knights / 187cm / 80kg

Inside midfielder who missed Metro selection despite being one of the best players at Knights all year. I really rated some of his games this year where he was able to really influence games through his work at stoppages and then get on his bike and break away. His speed is high end. Would like to see him use that a bit more in his outside game a little more but this kid can play and be surprised if doesn’t go a bit higher than people think.

Why / Who else – I think they go mid again so maybe Schoenberg / Mott / Chirgwin / Cassar all have to be in mix. Comben might be a chance as well if think they need to pounce early.

# 30 North Melbourne

Dylan Williams / Oakleigh 186cm / 81kg

Mid size forward / midfielder who had an exceptional bottom age year but has struggled due to injury this year and as a result has dropped in my rankings. Fully fit he could be the best small / medium forward in the draft. Plays tall and is pretty agile and creative and has some serious x factor moments. He was sent back at times through the year and I think that’s probably a reflection of his defensive pressure. Clubs will focus on that and also need to decide how much did the injuries curtail him.

Why / Who else – I have had Taylor here and just think he gives them some real class but its hard to pass on Williams.

# 31 North Melbourne

Mitch O'Neill / Tas / 176cm / 72kg

Really well performed kid at all levels for the past couple of years and looks set to have a great career. Good balance of inside and outside and has a high footy IQ and influences games. All his skills are solid and one I think could step up pretty quickly.

Why / Who else - Could be the next Lachie Neale.

# 32 Melbourne

Elijah Taylor / Perth / 188cm / 75kg

All class this kid but lacks the consistency. At his best he can do things few in the raft pool can. Great mover, gets through traffic, reads the game well, sees it all ahead of him and with ball in hand is devastating. Is a chance he goes much earlier than this.

Why / Who else – They do have a couple of these types but this kid is going to be a star I reckon. Has genuine x factor. If want to go a mid would get Schoenberg / Ralph-Smith or Dow. All good types for them. They often take a bolter so even a Fraser Phillips. Taheny?

# 33 Brisbane

Cameron Taheny / Norwood / 185cm / 80kg

Another who has been in the system for a while with SA and has had some wonderful games through the year. His performance were probably book ended up a bit. A great start and a really good finish in the reserves GF but was laced with some up and down stuff in the middle. We have to remember these kids have a lot going on in their draft year! That said, I really rate him, good in the air, nice hands and a lovely kick. Has a bit of class about him and knows how to find the goals. He probably lacks a bit of positional scope and hence runs the risk of other medium forwards who dont have the tricks to offer teams. Still think he lands in the 20 - 40 range.

Why / Who else – Williams would be ideal for them or a classy mid like Tom Dow.

# 34 North Melbourne

Thomson Dow / Bendigo / 182cm / 72kg

Interesting prospect and struggled where to place him as think he could go a bit higher than I have him. Midfielder who really good ability to play inside the contest and win in his own ball as well as get on the outside. Inside the contest he is impressive. Wins it, moves through the stoppage well, is composed and distributes it to advantage. Also seen him play through HF and he again is able to read and use his agility to get into good spots. Ceiling could be pretty high.

Why / Who else – They need a tall defender like Finlay or Hilder here but I just thought it’s a bit of a reach. I wouldn’t mind betting they try and package selections to get up the order and find a De Koning / Jones etc.

# 35 Essendon

Harry Schoenberg / WWT / 180cm / 78kg

Made a real statement at the Nationals with his inside / outside midfield work at the carnivals. Has genuine ball winning ability and that speed that lets him get away from the contest pretty easily. Once with ball in hand he seems to have good vision and therefore makes good decisions which he backs up with good ball use.

Why / Who else – Could mix in his game. Cassar / Mott / Phillips would be others

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
# 36 Sydney

Darcy Cassar / Western Jets / 184cm / 82kg

Like Cassar as he plays with a composure to him that you don’t see in others. Not sure exactly what role he will fill as seen him play HB and midfield and whilst appeals as a midfielder I think he will probably have to start behind the ball. He is a smart player, finds the right glidepath of the ball coming in and then makes good choices with it. Clubs will like the positional scope he offers.

Why / Who else – Draft really opens up. Brock Smith strikes me as a player they would like. Fraser Phillips could slot in here. Again Comben a chance.

# 37 Essendon

Daniel Mott / Calder / 183cm / 80kg

Got himself into draft calcs this kid with some really good performances in the 2nd half of the year. He is an inside mid who has that ability to hold the ball and wait for his opponents to come at him. Just racks up getting the footy and shows a bit of polish and class. Probably going to need to work on some of the athletic elements of his game but the footy smarts and game sense is there and his ball use is very good. Be the classic type who if missed would be picked up in a year or two.

Why / Who else - Good type for Essendon. Would they look at Riccardi or Georgiades as potential tall forwards. Fraser Phillips is a player with the class they might look for.

# 38 Brisbane

Darcy Chirgwin / Sandringham Dragons / 191cm / 80kg

A player I have watched reasonably closely all year. Lot to like about. Great size and athletically appeals. Very good inside the contest, clean, great hands, strong in the tackle and he seems to read it well and make good decisions when offloading. Issue just think can probably use it a bit better at times.

Why / Who else – Brock Smith would be one I could see here.

# 39 Collingwood

Mitchell Georgiades / Subiaco / 192cm / 87kg

If not for injury this year he may well have been a pick inside the top 20 or so. Had a really good last year and whilst a little undersized for a key forward he plays the role well. Works hard, gets on his bike, has good leading patterns and will work high up the ground if he needs to. Think his endurance is good, got great hands and a beaut kick. The issue is his height.

Why / Who else – Increasingly thinking he will go 20-30 range but would be a decent chance to get to Pies if Cats didn’t take him. They may also trade up for him. Mahoney / Cahill would be others. Fraser Phillips is a class sort of Pies pick.

# 40 Geelong

Fraser Phillips / Gippsland / 187cm / 82kg

Gippsland kid who have seen a fair bit of am pretty excited about the level he could get to. Is a HF type but has the skill and class to play through the midfield as well in time once he improves his running. At his best he has x factor and class and doesnt need much of it to influence games as his ball use is high end. Lot of upside to him and genuinely has a lot of talent and think will get taken earlier than people think.

Why / Who else – If had not invested in a tall defender yet one of Finlay and Hilder come into calcs. Could also see them taking Georgiades around here but they may do that in the 20’s.

# 41 Adelaide

Hugo Ralphsmith / Sandringham Dragons / 188cm / 75kg

One of the really difficult guys to place in the draft for mine as his is a bit inconsistent. To be fair that is not unusual at this level and have been plenty of them taken high and absolutely blossomed. He could well be this years. His best is very good and his highlight reel will appeal. Can play all over the ground, very good hands, good mark and foot skills / vision very appealing. Erred on the cautious side but wont surprise if higher.

Why / Who else – Gives them speed and flexibility. Shute would be a player I could see going here as well. Could Taheny get to here?

# 42 Richmond

Karl Finlay / South Adelaide / 192cm / 88kg

Was a key defender at champs but at 192cm does he play that role at AFL or more a Grimes role. Suspect the latter and has the traits to be able to do it. Bit dour but does everything pretty well and can defend and attack. In the air he is smart with his body use and genuinely plays taller than 192cm. I liken him a bit to Sam Taylor. Just a very solid player who is going to give you something at the elite level.

Why / Who else – Hilder / Newman would be other tall defenders they could look at.

# 43 Richmond

Ryan Byrnes / Sandringham Dragons / 182cm / 84cm

Had a really good year and is another who shown can play in and outside the contest. Quick, good vision and makes good decisions but kicking can let him down at times. Probably in the 30-60 range for me as a result but could have admirers much earlier.

Why / Who else – Garcia is one I could see them taking. Got a bit of Cotchin about him.

# 44 Richmond

Brock Smith / Gippsland / 189cm / 82kg

Impressive medium defender who had a strong year at Gippy and then backed it up with some nice stuff at the Champs. Reads the ball coming in the air well, happy to drop in the hole and a good mark. If the ball hits the ground he is a one composed one touch player. With ball in hand he is good on the rebound and makes good decisions. Really solid pick late.

Why / Who else – Jesse Clark

# 45 Hawthorn

Dyson Hilder / North Adelaide / 196cm / 91kg

SA kid who is just a really good key defender. Not overly blessed with the athletic traits of others but he reads the game well and hence can intercepts, has good hands in marking contest and distributes it well. Not overly flashy but a bit like Petty and Taylor in recent years just gets the job done. Has been tried forward but results a bit mixed. He is a key defender for me and that might mean he slips a bit because of the lack of the positional scope.

Why / Who else – Newman

# 46 Carlton

Jack Mahoney / Sandringham Dragons / 178cm / 72kg

Been around the scene for a while and impresses as a really high tempo small mid and forward who brings a bit of class and IQ to the game. Just knows where to run and how to get on the end of it. Always looking to make quick decisions and push it forward. Ball distribution good but sometimes wonder if tries to over do it. Lot to work with though. He could be a gem in the second half of the Draft. Reminds me a bit of Dan Butler at same age.

Why / Who else – Ned Cahill / Jai Jackson / Ty Thorne or Cox all other smalls who could be in the mix.

# 47 Sydney

Charlie Comben / Gippsland Power / 199cm / 82kg

Unsure if he will project more as a key forward who rucks a bit or vica versa. I actually like him in the ruck. Smart player, really good runner and athletic traits, smart tap ruck who can also take a contested mark around the ground. Issue is his weight and hence suspect he starts more key forward. Got really good hands and and his agility should work for him. He hasnt played a heap of footy so still pretty raw but he has the talent.

Why / Who else – Nick Bryan would be the obvious one but Comben has a lot of flexibility.

# 48 Adelaide

Flynn Perez / Bendigo / 188cm / 81kg

Not sure where Flynn goes as hasn’t played all year but would have been one that recruiters were looking at. Got a nice game and shows a number of AFL attributes. Terrific size for a midfielder and he moves well. Skills good and whilst will take a bit of time there is something there.

Why / Who else – Would they look at Morris and Park around here.

# 49 Brisbane (MB)

Noah Cumberland / Lions Academy / 183cm / 79kg

Athletically gifted type who I think Lions will take when the bid comes. Has pae and a bit of class about him and if you could fine tune some of the other elements could be a real player. Bid comes around 40+ for mine.

# 50 West Coast Eagles

Josh Shute / Sturt / 187cm / 74kg

Josh is a classic winger and shares attributes of a number of successful AFL wingers. Reads the game well, nice mover, has a bit of speed when required and is happy to back himself in if he has the chance. Also seems to make good decisions and back them with his ball use. The knock will be he is light and is going to take time but he is worth it.

Why / Who else – Might go more an inside player and a Garcia / Warner would be local kids they could look at.

# 51 North Melbourne – PASS

# 52 Collingwood

Ned Cahill / Dandenong / 179cm / 78kg

Small forward from the Stingrays who have seen play some really good footy this year. Bit old school, really hunts the ball both ways and reminds of a Dan Butler / Tom Papley type. Clubs will look at some of his testing and wonder if there is a bit of midfield scope there as well which in turn will give him more appeal.

Why / Who else – Jackson / Thorne / Dintinosante. Might need to take Riccardi here or could see them looking at Jeka. Jarvis Pina would be one that suits Collingwood as well and if wanted him might need to be here. Just not sure with Quaynor and Noble.

# 53 St Kilda

Cooper Sharman / Oakleigh / 192cm / 80kg

Reminds of Sam Sturt from last year. Rangy HF type who hasn’t come through the traditional pathways but is highly likely to get taken. The scope of improvement in him is significant and once his body gets in the right shape he should be able to show off his talents which largely revolve around his footy smarts, ability in the air and kicking. Good prospect.

Why / Who else – Classy mids are what they are probably keen on but at this stage not a lot left. Sharman is a talent.

# 54 Western Bulldogs

Emerson Jeka / Western Jets / 198cm / 90kg

Had some superb games in his bottom age year and was one I think a few of us would have had pretty high coming into the season. Unfortunately its been a touch disappointing and hence not sure where he will land. Saw a bit of his as a forward last year and loved it. Quick, agile, good hands and seemed to know where to lead. Spent fair bit of time back this year and think that's probably because of form and to put some aggro into his game. Did well at times there and showed good read it, mark it and rebound. Big talent, unfortunately not a great year. Still think someone calls him. Could be anything......in his court if he gets picked.

Why / Who else – Not sure they need another tall but Jeka is someone I think they would have done their work on. So flexible.

# 55 Richmond

Brady Rowles - Bendigo / 186cm / 75kg

Quick and skillfull defender who when on his best looks a terrific prospect. Has real speed and power in his running and he can hit targets. He can have some clangers and needs to work on that but his best is good.

Why / Who else – Ben Johnson or Jarvis Pina. Pina strikes me as a Richmond type and could well slot him here late.

# 56 Carlton

Josh Honey / Western Jets / 185cm / 82kg

I think he gets taken late. He has some attributes which have come to the fore in the AFL of late. Genuine speed, acceleration and power with an ability to play through the middle and forward. In the midfield he is a two way runner and he is a competitive beast as well. Clubs may also see a role for him deep back and rebounding. I havent seen him play that role but I think he could.

# 57 Essendon

Why / Who else – Lach Stapleton

# 57 Essendon

Nick Bryan / Oakleigh / 202cm / 87kg

Been arguably best NAB league ruck all year and possesses a great leap and palm. Athletically good and moves around the ground well, win his footy and get involved in chains through the midfield. Still only light and is going to need time so hence I think he gets picked later in the draft.

Why / Who else – Callum Jamieson / Sam Ramsay

# 58 Collingwood

Jake Riccardi / Werribee / 195cm / 94kg

20yo former Calder Cannon who has had a magnificent year with Werribee winning the FRM medal. Imposing forward and think the penny has dropped with him. Got great game sense, smart in his leading patterns, good hands and a solid shot at goal. His second efforts are good and he has improved that area immensely.

Why / Who else – Think they would be pretty keen on Riccardi here if not earlier.

# 59 Essendon

Angus Hanrahan / Sandringham Dragons / 184cm / 76kg

Must have been close year but has taken it in his stride and come out and had a really good year as a 19yo. Developed a bit more positional scope and has started to win more contested footy. Probably still not at the level needs to be but he is on the right trajectory and he has some genuine tricks with his speed, decision making and kicking. I like him as a wing / HB type who can really hurt on transition.

Why / Who else – Baker / Dunkin.

# 60 Carlton

Lachlan Stapleton / Eastern Ranges / 179cm / 73kg

Bit surprised he isnt in the discussion a bit more as had a wonderful year at Eastern. Probably plays more inside the contest where he can win and distribute ball well but he also tested well for speed which surprised me a bit as not something you see in his game. Stoppage and defensive side of his game is already good so if he can develop an outside game he'd be a really balanced midfielder.

Why / Who else – Have wondered if they go a mature ager to give a bit more support in the mids but think they are committed to kids. Bolton / Hibberd

# 61 Sydney

Angus Baker / Canberra / 191cm / 86kg

Winner of the NEAFL rising star award and was a really consistent performer this year for Canberra with his work out of defence. Got some AFL attributes and think someone may take him late and get him to the next level. Quick, composed and a good user.

Why / Who else – Pina or Dunkin

# 62 Fremantle

Jai Jackson / East Fremantle / 185cm / 81kg

Good chance of going late. Still pretty raw but shows the ability to be creative and a bit of an excitement machine in the forward half. Finds space, agile, pretty powerful around the contest and finishes well. Works well on the defensive side and that’s a side of his game that will appeal immediately.

Why / Who else – Ty Thorne might be another smaller type and Garcia would have to be considered if he was here. Hanrahan another.

# 63 GIANTS

Callum Park / Glenelg / 189cm / 69kg

Have been 50-50 on him all year but you cant deny how good he has been at SANFl level and at Champs. Just a smart high HF who can create space, take a nice mark, has good mobility and uses it really well. Just so light though and he is going to need to build that frame out.

Why / Who else – They don’t have a lot of 3rd tall type players and someone like Park who has had interest would be one to think about.

# 64 Sydney

Mitch Hibberd / Williamstown / 190cm / 90kg

Really liked him as a junior but he just didnt get it together at North. Has gone back to VFL and been really dominant in the midfield and won plaudits from his coaches at Willy. Developed from a HB type as a junior to a player with genuine positional scope across the back half, middle and front half. Suspect he probably plays midfield on his return. Got an elite engine.

Why / Who else – Luke Partington or Frank Anderson could come into the thinking

# 65 St Kilda

Luke Partington / Glenelg / 180cm / 81kg

High end talent at junior level who had a great Championships and top age year who was recruited by WC but just couldn't snag a spot in that formidable Eagles midfield line up. To be fair it was a pretty tough midfield to get into so no shame in that. Post being delisted went back to SA and has gone onto win a Margarey medal at 22. Inside midfielder who does everything pretty well. The knock is there isn't a standout trick or attribute that he has. Little bit ike Kane Lambert for mine and have no doubt he is way to good for state footy and in the right team would walk into the 22 as an inside mid or even defensive forward type.

Why / Who else – They may have had to deal with a bid for Nyoun but think a chance he will slip through. Stapleton / Honey and Hanrahan all players thought about around here.

# 66 Fremantle

Callum Jamieson / Claremont / 199cm / 84kg

Still very raw but was invited to national Combine so clubs are rating him. Does remind a bit of a young John Ceglar actually. Athletic and he uses it to his advantage by getting on his bike and getting involved. Ruck work is good but needs developing as does his body shape. It will come but it will take time.

Why / Who else – Ben Kelly

# 67 Hawthorn

Josh Morris / WWT / 186cm / 76kg

Medium forward who had a stellar year at under 18 and Reserves level for WWT this year. Great size, athletically blessed, elite user and averaged almost 5 goals a game in the under 18's and a little over 2 at Reserves. Has the talent. Probably needs to do a bit more around the ground and is probably a bit limited in what he can do in other positions at the moment but there is a lot to work with.

Why / Who else – Callum Park

# 68 Western Bulldogs

Louis Butler / Sandringham Dragons / 183cm / 74kg

Seen a bit of him but it was some of his stuff at the Champs that stands out. Showed a willingness to really take the game on from HB and attack. He made mistakes by foot but they were mistakes you want to see sometimes so you can test the boundaries. Certainly has good skills and speed and his decision making is generally good. Probably needs to fine tune a couple of things but he has some tricks.

Why / Who else – Sparkes was one I thought about here and wonder if got Angus Hanrahan.

# 69 West Coast Eagles

Riley Garcia / Swan Districts / 177cm / 70kg

Been a really good performer for WA and was on a glidepath to be picked inside the top 30 or so but unfortunately did his ACL towards the end of the Champs. Busy player, good agility, grunt, speed and has a decent kick. Hope he goes…derserves a shot.

Why / Who else – Terrific late get. Injury will mean he slides I suspect and Eagles could get him.

# 70 Geelong

Matt McGuinness / Tas / 195cm / 77kg

19 yo and surprised he doesnt get talked about more to be honest. Tall, athletic HB type that was a stand out for Tassie this year. Can influence games at ground and in the air, he is happy to drop back in the hole and i is equally good on the outside and then running it back the other way. No issues around his ball use and whilst his endurance may be an issue his best go is HB so shouldnt matter a lot. If he could fix it would give him another bow and he certainly played the role well when given an opportunity.

Why / Who else – Schreiber / Clark

# 71 GIANTS

Trey Ruscoe / East Fremantle / 190cm / 90kg

Been in the WA system for some time and offers a bit of positional scope for recruiters. Competitive type that can back, midfield and forward. Suspect he finds a spot more as a defender and that’s where I have really liked the body of work I have seen. Tough at the contest, good in the air and on ground, has good hands and is a neat ball user.

Why / Who else – Suspect Sheridan gets the spot.

# 72 Adelaide

Jake Pasini / Swan Districts / 192cm / 81kg

Hard to know where a club will rate this bloke because he offers a bit of positional scope and the beauty will be in the eye of the beholder. Known more as a key defender but at 192cm I don’t think he will play that role at AFL level. More likely a 3rd tall defender and he has the ground ball skills and agility to pull off that role. Has also spent time in the midfield and has scope on the inside so there is a bit to work with.

Why / Who else – Prior / Newman woud be other tall defenders

# 73 West Coast Eagles

Jaxon Prior / West Perth / 189cm / 82kg

Really good HB type who can pick when to defend and then when to attack. Positions himself well and happy to put himself in harms way. Ball use is creative and good.

Why / Who else – Think this is Francis Watson spot but not sure so stuck in Prior who was unlucky.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
ROOKIE DRAFT

# 1 Gold Coast

Kaden Schreiber / Oakleigh / 188cm / 79kg

Utility / Defender type who showed some really good signs late. Big chance to go in national for mine.

# 2 Melbourne

Ben Sokol – Subiaco / 184cm / 88kg

Mature age medium forward who had a great year at Subiaco including 6 in a GF. The Elliott type they missed at trade table.

# 3 Carlton

Rhai-Arn Cox – East Perth / 174cm / 76kg

Got a highlight reel this kid just a bit inconsistent. Reminds me a bit of Cameron at same age. Worth a shot.

# 4 Sydney Swans

Jesse Clark – Geelong / 188cm / 80kg

Lot of time for him. Real good HB type who I think has a bit of scope.

# 5 St Kilda

Isaac Wareham / GWV / 187cm / 80kg

Midfielder with speed and a bit of class about him. Presents well and one I think someone could take higher.

# 6 Fremantle

Hugh Dixon - Fremantle

# 7 North Melbourne

Sam Ramsay – Calder Cannons / 180cm / 72kg

Impressive player and think one that when adds size can really go on. He is good inside and out. His ball use is good and might be one that a club is prepared to take time on.

# 8 Adelaide

Ben Johnson / Peel / 178cm / 72kg

Lightning quick small defender who tested really well and was impressive through the year.

# 9 Port Adelaide

Elliott Dunkin - West Adelaide / 180cm / 78kg

HB who has a good year and shows can go next level and play a role. Kicking is very good and athletically ready to go.

# 10 Hawthorn

Ty Thorne – Peel / 168cm / 58kg

Really good small forward but his size worries me and wonder if he doesn’t have to spend a year in the WAFL.

# 11 Essendon

Riley Baldi / Gippsland / 180cm / 77kg

Midfielder / wing type who shows a bit of dash and skill. Some of his moments through the year were pretty impressive but have seen these kids miss completely as well.

# 12 Western Bulldogs

Lachlan Potter – Northern / 182cm / 81kg

Small defender who I really liked as a bottom ager. Hasn’t quite got to the level I hoped this year but he has some speed and makes good decisions.

# 13 WCE

Ryan Sparkes / Gippsland / 185cm / 82kg

Seen a fair bit of him and he has some AFL attributes but he needs to do more it if. He is a good rookie selection as got a feeling he might thrive and he showed some good signs in the finals. He is a good ball user.

# 14 Brisbane

Will Martyn – Brisbane / 185cm / 82kg

Academy selection who may get bid in the National.

# 15 Collingwood

Jarvis Pina – Peel / 178cm / 72kg

With Noble and Quaynor may not need another of his type but a really quick and creative small defender. He may well go earlier than this.

# 16 Geelong

Jye Bolton / Claremont / 187cm / 84kg

Could they go and get a mature age mid to help them immediately. Bolton has dominated for years and would walk in that side.

# 17 GWS

James Peatling / GWS / 184cm / 73kg

Giants Academy selection

# 18 Richmond

Ben Kelly / Murray Bushrangers / 203cm / 100kg

I am impressed by him. Doesn’t have the flexibility others in the pool have but he is a big boy and fits that Soldo / Nankervis type.

# 19 Gold Coast

Josh Schoenfeld – Gold Coast

# 20 Melbourne

Ryan Gardner – Northern Knights / 184cm / 73kg

I was watching him closely coming into the year but he just didn’t kick on. He did have injuries and someone could look at him as someone they want to develop. Plays more an outside game and will need to add some size.

# 21 Sydney Swans

Brodie Newman – Calder Cannons / 193cm / 91kg

Key defender who I have been impressed with. Reads game well and he knows where to stand to intercept. His challenge I think is his athletic ability.

# 22 St Kilda

Jake Stein – GIANTS

Think Saints might jump in here and nab the tall from GIANTS.

# 23 Fremantle

Ryan Sturgess / Northern / 190cm / 80kg

Athletically talented and can play a few different roles but needs to lock one down and probably improve use by foot.

# 24 Adelaide

Lachlan Williams – Dandenong / 182cm / 76kg

Quite like this kid and saw him play some good games off HB late. Has also played forward and shown a knack for the goals.

# 25 Port Adelaide

Josh D'intinosante - Northern / 177cm / 78kg

# 26 Essendon

Haidan Schloithe - South Fremantle / 184cm

Think one that could come in and give Essendon some real explosiveness and power forward and middle.

# 27 WCE

Chad Warner – East Fremantle / 183cm / 83kg

Inside mid who impressed at times through the year. Real good around the contest but needs to develop outside / spread game.

# 28 Geelong

Oscar Brownless – Geelong

# 29 WCE

Sam Lowson / Coburg / 182cm / 84kg

# 30 GWS

Tom Sheridan – GIANTS

# 31 GWS

Zach Sproule - GIANTS

# 32 GIANTS

Liam Delahunty – GIANTS Academy

Academy Selections

Lions – Will get Coleman and Tozer would think as either rookie or Cat B

GIANTS – Peatling and Delahunty could be Cat B players.

Suns – Budarick / Rosas and Conroy have all signed as rookies but haven’t included above. Gore a chance.

Swans – May take Ellem as a Cat B

In the mix

Cole Gerloff

Henry Cauford

Jackson Davies

Zak Pretty

Charlie Dean

Frank Anderson

Lochie Dickson

Ronin O’Connor

Jack Bell

Last edited:
Well done Snoop Dog - love your work, as always.

I would be over the moon with this draft haul from a Carlton perspective - particularly given you have us taking two of my favorites in Stephens and Honey.

Not sure about Mahoney and haven't seen anything of Stapleton but if you were to give us Garcia at one of these picks that would make three and you would have me doing back flips outside Princes Park.

Also think there are 5-10 better options for us in the RD than Cox but as a rookie I'm not going to be overly disappointed whichever way we go. Ben Johnson the standout there for mine. Warner another good option.

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Great work Snoop Dog. Really interesting stuff.

Hope the Swans go with Robertson over Flanders though.

If you believe the whispers they have put a fair bit of time into Stephens. I just think they have taken a few outside types already and probably need an elite inside player having said that they have a selection in the 20's where they could pick one of a couple of inside players so if they do rate one at that point of the draft then yep Stephens could be the go.

McAsey also makes sense for them as does Robertson.

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Fantastic write up as always Snoop. I was wondering if you would do a mock this year.

Was hard this year mate. The evenness of the draft made it quite difficult as you had to think carefully about who will do what and where. Eg those taller types in De Koning / Worrall and JOnes might go earlier as clubs that want one have to take them in the teens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back