No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Okay, I stand corrected. I live in this zone and have many friends who live in Doreen and Mernda and was not aware of the African families moving in to these suburbs. My nephew plays for Mernda and I have never seen any African kids playing in any of his games so assumed they didn't live around there.
This is the challenge for our club & the local clubs, getting these kids to play footy.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Article today in the Herald Sun talking about how this isn't the Sun's last chance. Honestly Gil the Dil is a full time idiot.

The compensation given to the suns in no way makes them more competitive in the short term which is really the issue. But I would argue has a high chance of making them a powerhouse in the long term.

Still can't believe the academy concession and expanded recruitment zone. Nuts.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Okay, I stand corrected. I live in this zone and have many friends who live in Doreen and Mernda and was not aware of the African families moving in to these suburbs. My nephew plays for Mernda and I have never seen any African kids playing in any of his games so assumed they didn't live around there.

Northcote, Thornbury, Reservoir, Heidelberg West/Heights is chock a block full of people from various ethnic backgrounds.

If we had the academy one year earlier, we would have had Gresham, our time will come but we need to put resources in to it.

Keyza

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Northcote, Thornbury, Reservoir, Heidelberg West/Heights is chock a block full of people from various ethnic backgrounds.

If we had the academy one year earlier, we would have had Gresham, our time will come but we need to put resources in to it.
I have previously mentioned most of those suburbs, as well as Preston and Thomastown and Epping. Northcote is a pretty expensive suburb now.
I was just pointing out that we only have a handful of suburbs that any kids would likely come from.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I have previously mentioned most of those suburbs, as well as Preston and Thomastown and Epping. Northcote is a pretty expensive suburb now.
I was just pointing out that we only have a handful of suburbs that any kids would likely come from.

I forget the posters name, but someone mentioned to me a few months ago, that there opinion was, that it was more to do with a lack of private schools in the region, who have good AFL programs.
I think there was an article today in one of the papers, stating that more than 70% of AFL players, come from the the private school system, this number has been climbing in recent years.

I don't have detailed analysis of how many private school kids are in each team, but its interesting, also the Knights have been crap for quite a few years now, which doesn't help.

Our zone though, is going through a huge population boom, this should translate to more numbers playing in a multicultural zone, but it could take years for it to pay off.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
I forget the posters name, but someone mentioned to me a few months ago, that there opinion was, that it was more to do with a lack of private schools in the region, who have good AFL programs.
I think there was an article today in one of the papers, stating that more than 70% of AFL players, come from the the private school system, this number has been climbing in recent years.

I don't have detailed analysis of how many private school kids are in each team, but its interesting, also the Knights have been crap for quite a few years now, which doesn't help.

Our zone though, is going through a huge population boom, this should translate to more numbers playing in a multicultural zone, but it could take years for it to pay off.

Jake Niall article from Saturday's Age ...

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Jake Niall article from Saturday's Age ...

On this, that ground and school as far as im aware is in our zone for NGA, yet Rowel and Anderson don't play for Northern. With the allocation for the old TAC sides, does it go off, where you live or where you grow up? How does it work?

If a player from our zone goes to a private school in another zone, are they then eligible for both NGA academies?

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

Seeing as, you only need to have one parent who comes from a non English speaking background or be Indigenous to qualify for the NGA, i find this statement to be so far from the truth.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
On this, that ground and school as far as im aware is in our zone for NGA, yet Rowel and Anderson don't play for Northern. With the allocation for the old TAC sides, does it go off, where you live or where you grow up? How does it work?

If a player from our zone goes to a private school in another zone, are they then eligible for both NGA academies?

All info is here DD ...

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
All info is here DD ...

Thanks for that, hard to work out how the zones were divvied up, but i wonder why the AFL didn't just give us the full Northern Knights zone, we have the whole zone except for Abbotsford, Collingwood and Fitzroy.

For coaching, training, community involvement and having genuine ties and involvement in a club it would have made a lot of sense.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
Had to smirk at this: our good mate Kane displaying his saltiness over Jack Lukosius re-signing with the Suns.

Kane Cornes is salty because Jack Lukosius has chosen to stay at Gold Coast

Seriously, this bloke's gall knows know bounds. Luko indicates that he doesn't want the added pressure of playing in Adelaide where everyone recognizes him. Actually seems a wise assessment to me, for a young bloke with just one season behind him.
Cornes questions his character and in passing, hangs sh!t on GCS, pontificating about players like Luko lacking the "mongrel" to reach their potential.
What an absolute jerk.
Just can't believe that a good South Aussie boy would NOT want to come home to play in Adelaide given the opportunity.

Had to smirk at this: our good mate Kane displaying his saltiness over Jack Lukosius re-signing with the Suns.

Seriously, this bloke's gall knows know bounds. Luko indicates that he doesn't want the added pressure of playing in Adelaide where everyone recognizes him. Actually seems a wise assessment to me, for a young bloke with just one season behind him.
Cornes questions his character and in passing, hangs sh!t on GCS, pontificating about players like Luko lacking the "mongrel" to reach their potential.
What an absolute jerk.
Just can't believe that a good South Aussie boy would NOT want to come home to play in Adelaide given the opportunity.
Cornes expresses opinions to get noticed, not to be right or informative.

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

What an absolute jerk.
Just read the article..what a tosser..
Hasn't he got his bugle out of joint..

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

What an absolute jerk.
That whole thing is really, really bitchy. It's more amusing than anything else, as it speaks far, far more about Kane than about Lukosius.

What an absolute jerk.
cornes salty because of the pressure he's under at playing 300 games and not being recognised in adelaide.........

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Eagles weighing up bold move for former No.4 draft pick

Funny that a friend of mine has been strong on hawthorn looking at Pickett months ago.
So he still is in frame? Interesting

I'd take him back as a rookie in a flash, but that's not going to happen is it?
Partner has just had a baby so can't see him moving interstate again which is a shame as I thought he could be a good player for us.

Wilson previously reported on Sportsday that Essendon CEO Xavier Campbell is the person being touted for the job and has since doubled down on that assessment despite the fact Richmond chief Brendon Gale is a much more suitable candidate in her eyes.

If Campbell gets the top job the AFL can sincerely go * itself.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
That whole thing is really, really bitchy. It's more amusing than anything else, as it speaks far, far more about Kane than about Lukosius.

And it speaks far more about the Adelaide footy scene, that a star junior like Lukosius would rather stay the course with the bottom ranked team, far from his home town, than return to play his footy with an Adelaide club.

Say there was a promising second year player playing for Kane's old club, who indicates he wants to return home to Vic or WA as soon as a deal can be made. Cornes would change his tune in a heartbeat and have plenty to say about THAT player's "character".

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if this sits well. We released him and at the time it was said we'd continue to support his rehabilitation.

What's to stop this becoming a means for players getting to their club of choice.
Getting seriously injured multiple times and eventually delisted, seriously putting any future afl career in jeopardy as a strategy to get to a club of choice? Sure.

Not sure if this sits well. We released him and at the time it was said we'd continue to support his rehabilitation.

What's to stop this becoming a means for players getting to their club of choice.

Pickett did not use Carlton to get to West Coast.

You can accuse him of not doing everything in his power to get back on the track, that's a fair reflection (in my opinion) but otherwise, nah.

West Coast have done due diligence on every non-contracted AFL player. They understand the upside that he has, the reasons why his career came to a premature end and may potentially offer him an extreme lifeline.

Had Pickett used Carlton to get to West Coast then they would have gobbled him up instead of pondering as to whether or not to use a late draft or rookie pick on him.

Honestly, the accusation is akin to claiming that Jarrod Garlett used Gold Coast, even sitting out an additional full season, to get to Carlton.

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
Am I batshit missing something …. I just PM'd our Boss Aph ... but obviously busy ...

Is there an option when purchasing from the Carlton shop, to put numbers on the back of the new PUMA home strip?

The boy wants 23 on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back