2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory there was some random who had never played footy who nominated either last year or the year before?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Be hilarious if they got the number mixed up and drafted an overweight unfit 50 year old who put their name in on a lark.

*puts in application at work for 2 years special leave without pay*
*gets asked on what basis*
*advises been drafted by Collingwood*
*Ok - why are you *really* wanting time off / you realise there are penalties for lying on government leave application forms right?*

The word re our delisted players seems to be Walker to North Melbourne, Archie Smith to Sydney and maybe Nick Robertson to Fremantle. Wonder if anyone is interested in Ben Keays who deserves another go in my opinion.
Late draft or rookie draft. Or post draft as an unsigned free agent?

The word re our delisted players seems to be Walker to North Melbourne, Archie Smith to Sydney and maybe Nick Robertson to Fremantle. Wonder if anyone is interested in Ben Keays who deserves another go in my opinion.
That would be good for those players, I think Walker has something to add and Nic Nobbo is a good tagger for teams that play that style and Freementle used to like to have a tagger but now a new coach now. Given Archie is still contracted we do kinda need him to be picked up and his full salary covered. Benny Keays has been trying hard all his life, he played juniors with my son. Cant see him as a good player but a little sniff somewhere would be nice. Skinner's social media has him still firmly in Brisbane, do we know is any of the others are doing pre-seasons anywhere else? on a permission to train list anywhere?

Still is. And every application stays current for up to five (?) years after lodging.
From memory there was some random who had never played footy who nominated either last year or the year before?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Be hilarious if they got the number mixed up and drafted an overweight unfit 50 year old who put their name in on a lark.

*puts in application at work for 2 years special leave without pay*
*gets asked on what basis*
*advises been drafted by Collingwood*
*Ok - why are you *really* wanting time off / you realise there are penalties for lying on government leave application forms right?*
Here’s an article from the AFL website that runs through the process and who’s eligible.

Think it dashes the hopes of an unfit 40 something making on to a list in number punching mix up.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-25/how-do-i-get-drafted-by-an-afl-club-am-i-eligible

With regards to a Stef replacement I remember reading somewhere that our academy has a young Sudanese kid 16 years old I think in there that is already 200cm tall. Anybody else see that ? He may be our future ruck option if that’s the case.

With regards to a Stef replacement I remember reading somewhere that our academy has a young Sudanese kid 16 years old I think in there that is already 200cm tall. Anybody else see that ? He may be our future ruck option if that’s the case.

Haven’t heard that or seen any correspondence but like the sound of that

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A Sudanese ‘Eel’ no doubt?

Last edited:
Looks like the Walker to North is a go according to today's article on AFL site with heading "Eagles weighing up bold move for former no 4 draft pick"
Hope it happens like to see our guys get another chance.

Part of the article
A number of 2019 delisted players have nominated for the draft in the hope of securing another chance, however several others have opted not to with their futures all but secured elsewhere.
Harley Bennell and Mitch Brown (Melbourne), Jacob Townsend (Essendon) and Josh Walker (North Melbourne) are among delisted players set to find new homes via the SSP from December 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good article about Jamie Elliott and his decision to stay put at the Pies after meeting with the Lions:

Jamie Elliott says he seriously weighed up whether a fresh start in Brisbane would help bring out the best in his notoriously troublesome body but that his comfort with Collingwood’s medical staff contributed to his decision to re-sign.

Speaking at length publicly for the first time since turning his back on free agency last October and re-committing to the Pies for two more years, Elliott, 27, detailed how nervous he’d been when touring the Brisbane Lions’ facilities on the eve of last year’s trade period.

“It was actually really nerve-racking because I never expected to put myself in that position. I had to make a really well-educated decision and I had to explore all my options … [to not] have any regrets later down the track,” Elliott told The Age. “I remember getting caught up there, there were cameras up there and my heart started racing. It was good, they’re a great club. I had a really good vibe from them. But ultimately my heart’s at Collingwood.

“I had a lot of thoughts going through my head, whether maybe a new environment would stimulate me more, and would that bring the best out of myself as a footballer? I don’t have many years left. It was really tough but I’m really confident that I’ve made the right decision.”

Having missed the entire 2016 and 2018 seasons through injury, Elliott got back to kick 26 goals from 16 matches last season, leading both Melbourne and the Lions to offer him three-year deals, as opposed to a two-year deal from the Pies. Elliott said he was optimistic Collingwood would be able to maximise his chances of staying on the park.

“I wanted the best for my body, and [asked myself] ‘was that at Collingwood?’ I think I’ve made the right decision to stay. It’s very settled there, whereas if I move clubs, obviously I’ve got to meet new medical staff, and they’ve got to get to know my body. That was one reason why I stayed. Family are very close here, that was another [factor]. But at the end of the day I love the club and I want to ultimately win a premiership. I feel like we’re in a really good window now and had a really good opportunity to do that".

Certainly respect Elliott's decision to stay put, but as a free hit, our forward line would've been exponentially more potent, although I can't help but think had Elliott joined the Lions, someone else may have looked elsewhere at the end of this year.

Certainly respect Elliott's decision to stay put, but as a free hit, our forward line would've been exponentially more potent, although I can't help but think had Elliott joined the Lions, someone else may have looked elsewhere at the end of this year.
Puts the Daniher rumours into perspective - I'm not convinced that it'll take more to lure Daniher out, if he thinks we're the right fit, than we would've offered to Elliott.

It does seem as though there are now a number of competitive advantages we have in the trade market:

1. Young and talented playing list
2. Good culture
3. Stable off field
4. Well regarded coach
5. Proven medical/rehab
6. Weather/lifestyle
7. "Outside the bubble"

It was much harder pre Swann/Fagan/Noble when all we could really say was "gee the weather is good up here".

No disrespect to Payne or Skinner but Riccardi is a better player now and he is 19. You watch him blossum into a topline AFL player....his growth this year has been phenomenal playing against afl like competition week in week out.
19 marks and 6 goals in his first two games. You called it, and so did I. Pity that certain people who didn't see the light called your post "rubbish" and thought Lisle was a better player.

19 marks and 6 goals in his first two games. You called it, and so did I. Pity that certain people who didn't see the light called your post "rubbish" and thought Lisle was a better player.

Don't you mean he was shouted down?

I don't understand.

There's a few posters who will insist in posts that they said something earlier but were shouted down. When going back and looking at said discussions, you'll find that they were "shouted down" by a whole one or two posts disagreeing with them. Hence it's become a bit of an in-joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back