Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not arguing with you about thommo, loved watching him play. One reason was why McKenna was so good, was his ruck work to the mids, got first use of the footy and put it lace out to pete

Too Young to see them play but My dad said it was like Thompson taps it to Price who then put it down McKenna's Throat

Too Young to see them play but My dad said it was like Thompson taps it to Price who then put it down McKenna's Throat
That happened a LOT Dave - saw them all live at VP as a lad. Thommo was the very first truly athletic ruckman in the game, an artist with the tap, a fine mark and good at ground level - even pretty good pace.

The prototype of today's ruck - but better.

Dave just for you mate - marked them in front, from behind, in from the side - it never mattered to Len. And as you can see towards the end of the clip a damn fine kick for goal.

Well they would not be many 200cm+ Players back then but he sure used it to advantage and some Great Marks There. Moved very well.

At the 15 Second Mark where he took the Ball out of the Ruck and Played On is what Grundy has done quite a Few Times this Season

Well they would not be many 200cm+ Players back then but he sure used it to advantage and some Great Marks There. Moved very well.

At the 15 Second Mark where he took the Ball out of the Ruck and Played On is what Grundy has done quite a Few Times this Season

7AFBF9CC-E282-4D1F-9C55-BF2081565029.jpeg

I think you're right, I think that Grundy has been positioning himself better for marking contests around the ground and has shown better hands over the last two seasons. I suppose we'd all like him to be more reliable or consistent in the forward line, kicking goals etc., but then you have to wonder how much more we can expect of the man.

The answer is a lot, I suppose, because footy supporters are rarely satisfied.

That was the game plan, and it work very well, none of this jumping early and tapping it to his feet. Went straight to the voice on the move.

It is great watching the highlights of Thommo.

A lot of the old footage tends to be grainy.

Some highlights here of P.Moore, but a bit scratchy in quality. Interesting that he kicked bags of 4 and 5 goals in the 2 gfs in in 1977 as a 20 year old at ff.

I think you're right, I think that Grundy has been positioning himself better for marking contests around the ground and has shown better hands over the last two seasons. I suppose we'd all like him to be more reliable or consistent in the forward line, kicking goals etc., but then you have to wonder how much more we can expect of the man.

Bit Hard to be a Forward when he Barley plays there. I think he is Capable of Kicking a Few Goals when up Forward but he is never really there.

Good Point outside of Winning a Flag it's hard to make all Fans Happy

Nor should Grundy be as well. Should be always learning how to improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw Thommo, Moore and now Grundy play (as well as Graham Fellowes, Gabo, Jerka Jenkins, Monkey, Charlie Manson, Jolly and Josh Fraser)
They're all different, Moore was super athletic and a brilliant high mark and shot for goal, Thommo was a great tap ruckman, lovely kick and handballer but not so great overhead, whilst Grundy is a brute with a big tank and a team ethic that maybe the others didn't have.

Of all of them I think Grundy is already better than either Thommo or Peter Moore (and yeah I know they're both Brownlow medallists) simply because he's got a warriors heart. Darren Jolly had it too as did Gabo and Charlie Manson, none of them were ever beaten, they could always FIND something extra to give when the team needed it.

So if CFC get to keep Grundy for his entire career I believe we're the winners because to my mind he's the kind of player that Thommo and Peter Moore would have loved to have been.

He does seem to be too. Injuries aside, the scary thing for opponents is that he still has a lot of improvement to come.
Yes he has a way to go on improvement, but the way are teaching him sometimes baffles me, especially when jumps at the centre bounce, he is nearly back on the ground when contesting for the tap out, instead at his highest point, and the tape to the feet, not to the voice.

Saw Thommo, Moore and now Grundy play (as well as Graham Fellowes, Gabo, Jerka Jenkins, Monkey, Charlie Manson, Jolly and Josh Fraser)
They're all different, Moore was super athletic and a brilliant high mark and shot for goal, Thommo was a great tap ruckman, lovely kick and handballer but not so great overhead, whilst Grundy is a brute with a big tank and a team ethic that maybe the others didn't have.

Of all of them I think Grundy is already better than either Thommo or Peter Moore (and yeah I know they're both Brownlow medallists) simply because he's got a warriors heart. Darren Jolly had it too as did Gabo and Charlie Manson, none of them were ever beaten, they could always FIND something extra to give when the team needed it.

So if CFC get to keep Grundy for his entire career I believe we're the winners because to my mind he's the kind of player that Thommo and Peter Moore would have loved to have been.
It's a pity we couldn't combine all three. We would then have a fast moving ruckman, with a warrior heart, who can mark and kick, but most importantly, tap to his own teammates.

It's a pity we couldn't combine all three. We would then have a fast moving ruckman, with a warrior heart, who can mark and kick, but most importantly, tap to his own teammates.

Actually Grundy can tap the ball pretty well. It's just that he's following team rules and putting it at his feet (probably because HE has a better than most chance of getting the clearance himself!)
The tap to advantage that Thommo gets credit for was largely due to the dominance of his rovers (both of the Richardson brothers, Barry Price and Greening) what Grundy needs is some quick mids who can get that meter clearance from their opponents and run into gaps for him to palm it to. He did it quite a few times to Pendles at boundary throw ins this season.

We must be of a similar vintage Robroy, because I saw all these players live at the heights of their careers too.

I agree with your assessment of Grundy being better overall than Thommo or Peter Moore. Thommo was a gentle giant who seemed to lack the necessary mongrel that would have made him a true great of the game. Interestingly, I can remember Thommo being in dispute with the club circa 1973 over his next contract. He and the club eventually settled on an outcome, but it was no where near 7 years at a $Million per year (or the 73 equivalent $) that is being talked about for Brodie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back