2020 HFC Pre Season Training

There is maybe 1 or 2 spots available in the best 22 as Nash, Howe and O’Brien are far from locks.

Morrison needs to settle into a full time role whether that’s on the wing, half back or even as a half forward. He played with no confidence last year.

Anyone know whether I should keep refreshing this thread today...?

A lot of the boys are in Byron for Cegs wedding this weekend. So I would say no updates today

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is maybe 1 or 2 spots available in the best 22 as Nash, Howe and O’Brien are far from locks.

Morrison needs to settle into a full time role whether that’s on the wing, half back or even as a half forward. He played with no confidence last year.

Why does he have to settle in to a full time role? He's got to be good enough first, no?

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Two of my world's collided today because there was a photo on Shielsey's Insta of the boys at a Byron cafe owned by the drummer from Parkway Drive. If only we could get a Parkway song to play before games like Port do with INXS 😂.

cogs2hawks

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Two of my world's collided today because there was a photo on Shielsey's Insta of the boys at a Byron cafe owned by the drummer from Parkway Drive. If only we could get a Parkway song to play before games like Port do with INXS .

Nah mate Glitter and Gold

Sep 22, 2008
Noosa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
True but Rossy’s around the same weight as Kade and 10cm taller. Imagine how easy he’d be to knock over. As someone said, he’s rail thin up close. Suspect he’ll always be a lithe build but he’ll need to get bigger. I’ve watched him up close at BHH many times and seen him brushed off the ball and unable to stick tackles. There are successful light, agile builds and then there are skinny builds unable to compete with larger physiques of the contemporary game.

I’d be surprised if the club doesn’t load a few more kilos onto his frame. He has that “something” that natural sports talents have, we just need him to be a more rounded player. In all senses ;)
He needs to get into Bob Murphy's ear. Bob was a similar build when he came on the scene in the early 00's, played forward for the best part of 10 years and forged a pretty good career in the end. Can see a similar pathway for Ross if he can crack the side. Big if now though.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

Morrison is interesting. I know Clarko heaped praise on him a year ago and it's clear he is disciplined, wants to learn and develop, etc, I just don't know whether he has enough qualities to make it at AFL level. Has good endurance, but in just about everything else he is vanilla. You would not pick him off half back ahead of Impey or Sicily. He's a long way from Smith, Scully or Hendo on the wing. He's not a half forward for mine at all.

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Morrison is interesting. I know Clarko heaped praise on him a year ago and it's clear he is disciplined, wants to learn and develop, etc, I just don't know whether he has enough qualities to make it at AFL level. Has good endurance, but in just about everything else he is vanilla. You would not pick him off half back ahead of Impey or Sicily. He's a long way from Smith, Scully or Hendo on the wing. He's not a half forward for mine at all.

He was definitely vanilla this season.. what was it in 2018 that had most of us excited, though?

From memory, he had a knack of finding the ball...

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

this year the inclusion of Scully into the team and Henderson improving his fitness to have his best season of his career really showed that Morrison is a squad/backup type winger imo, like you say Impey has gone past him for a wing spot in future, he will still be a handy player in our squad, but he has limitations.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jonathan Simpkin MK2

He was definitely vanilla this season.. what was it in 2018 that had most of us excited, though?

6-6-6 rule really doesn't help him.

When we played 7 defenders, he could get free. Can't now.

And as another poster said, he's behind multiple players in each spot that he favors.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Morrisson has plenty of footy smarts but just doesn't have any physical presence and seems a touch slow off the mark.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Personally I thought he had trouble finding the ball regularly enough, and that his strength was more his composure with the ball in hand when he did find it, especially for a player with his limited experience. Seems he CAN find the ball, with 3 20+ possession games last year, and 21 in his first and only game in 2017. If he'd progressed on to make those 20+ efforts a bit more consistent this year, it would have been a good development year for him. However, he didn't manage more than 18 in any game this year. Not really sure what happened with him this year, which was a definite step backwards. May have been partly a victim of the flow on effect of Mitchell going down, requiring him to take more responsibility than he was ready for. We stuck with him and waited for him to find form in the first part of the season, but seemed to have given up on him around mid season. 2020's team will be a much harder team for him to break back into, especially once Impey is back.

Last edited:

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Morrison's a link player. When we were poor on the wings and he was fresh to our eyes, his confident clean and composed disposal and choice of option were a revelation.
But to be a link player ongoingly you need some serious jets to work both ways, and he aint got them.
He also doesn't turn particularly well, so can't adjust and be a really good defender on any part of the park. Like Sicily, if he runs at you and misses there's not a great recovery. Unlike Sicily he's not a phenomenal mark, extraordinary kick, have brute burst, or have shwag.
I suggested a year and a bit ago, even off the back of a good introduction to first football, needed to either put serious muscle on so he could get stuck in to a pack and add a string, or work on his marking and be like his Uncle up forward.
Don't think either has happened and not sure where he fits without those things on an AFL team.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Morrison can play i was happy to see him finish in the top 5 or so in the time trails reports, can anyone record where he finished last preseason in the same trails ?
He just looked shot on confidence last year and down on form anyone in and out of the side and then changing in differnt positions can do that to a young player.
Scully and Hendo form could have played a part it was hard to get ahead of them.

Lets hope he can rebound this year he is tough has good skills & makes good decision when confident.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Morrison can play i was happy to see him finish in the top 5 or so in the time trails reports, can anyone record where he finished last preseason in the same trails ?
He just looked shot on confidence last year and down on form anyone in and out of the side and then changing in differnt positions can do that to a young player.
Scully and Hendo form could have played a part it was hard to get ahead of them.

Lets hope he can rebound this year he is tough has good skills & makes good decision when confident.
I think he was top five last year. I’m sure he was top 2 the year before. He is a good runner. Hoping his smarts help him develop better consistency. Couldn’t win enough ball this year.

I think he was top five last year. I’m sure he was top 2 the year before. He is a good runner. Hoping his smarts help him develop better consistency. Couldn’t win enough ball this year.
I guess he is being groomed as a wingman with that speed. However he's not yet at the level of smith and/or hendo, hence being played out of position. Question is whether he is better gaining experience in another position (as he seemed to be doing last year) or playing wing 24/7 for BHH. I think the former, but it means he may struggle to impact while he is biding his time.

NICE1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I guess he is being groomed as a wingman with that speed. However he's not yet at the level of smith and/or hendo, hence being played out of position. Question is whether he is better gaining experience in another position (as he seemed to be doing last year) or playing wing 24/7 for BHH. I think the former, but it means he may struggle to impact while he is biding his time.

What speed? He looks pedestrian.

Dutchy16

Debutant
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
no training today

Trained tonight at 5.30pm as part of the working week program. All players did some work experience today then trained after hours as most non professional footballers are required to do.

Full squad in attendance minus Impey.

Tom Mitchell, O’Meara, Ceglar, Henderson, Mitch Lewis, Harry Jones, O’Brien and Nash in rehab / non contact group. The first 7 all did a solid running program and Nash who is nursing an ankle did bike work.

Main group did a large amount of contested ball work and match simulation.

Hartley is a great kick and seems to be fitting in well. Bombed a goal from 60m out in one of the drills.

Minchington looks really good. Finally fit and his decision making and skilled in the match simulation was very good. Would not be surprised at all if he gets a rookie spot in the list.

Some of the boys were giving it to Harry Jones about drafting the good Harry Jones on Wednesday / Thursday night.

Back