1st Test; Australia v Pakistan @ The Gabba November 21-25

Remove this Banner Ad

What sort of organization is Cricket Australia running if Kohli is calling the shots on where we play our home tests?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The type of organisation that understands which side of its naan is buttered.

Unfortunately India pay the bills in test cricket now, just look at our matches against Pakistan.

Terrible crowds, terrible ratings.. we NEED to play India and England or CA will go broke
For interest sake, do the ratings take into account Kayo streams? Or are they only counting channel 7 and fox viewers on TV?

For interest sake, do the ratings take into account Kayo streams? Or are they only counting channel 7 and fox viewers on TV?

i’d assume they include kayo. it wouldn’t be hard for kayo to get some numbers.

What sort of organization is Cricket Australia running if Kohli is calling the shots on where we play our home tests?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I understand where Paine is coming from and while Kohli has strong views on scheduling (as previous Indian captains or senior players have in the past) the BCCI are the real bully boys in such matters.
On at least two past occasions there have been disagreements and stand-offs relating to Aus tour schedules which almost resulted with these tours being cancelled and we all recall what happened during 'Monkeygate', where the BCCI threatened (in writing) to pack up and go home mid-tour...

Plenty of history here although some of the 'issues' between CA and the BCCI have been over-played (often for promotional reasons) by the media generally - for example India didn't actually request not to play a boxing day test when they toured Aus in 2011 - that rumour started from some crazy Indian journalist who misread the tour dates.

Unfortunately India pay the bills in test cricket now, just look at our matches against Pakistan.

Terrible crowds, terrible ratings.. we NEED to play India and England or CA will go broke

just remember that it was being played on a thursday and friday when people are working or at school.

I always thought the inaugural match at the new Perth stadium had to do with the absence of the Gabba match for India. Since the turn of the millennium after which India started playing regular 4 match series in Australia (around the same time the financial clout of the BCCI started increasing), India generally played three matches at Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney that remained constant in all tours with the fourth one alternating between Perth and Brisbane with every visit.

'03 - Brisbane
'07 - Perth
'11 - Perth
'14 - Brisbane
'18 - Perth

Although I'm pretty certain the BCCI had to do with the opening match being scheduled at Adelaide because Adelaide has been a good venue for India over the years when compared to others. It's definitely not ideal that the visiting team gets a say in these things but money rules in cricket and I'm sure there are kickbacks involved. If it were upto me, I wish India have a shot at the Gabba fortress next year as the opening match of the series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many Gabba test matches are there for year?

It was utterly embarrassing, even the A League gets bigger crowds than that
How many of you guys potting the crowds have actually attended the cricket at the Gabba?

It is hard to get to, too expensive, the beer is absolute s**t, it is just a horrible experience.

With a visiting team 3-60 and trailing by 290.

Yeah.

Yeah.... and? You make as many excuses as you want, the crowd was horrific. How many tests do Queenslanders get to see per year? If it was 10k you could argue yea.. it was okay... but it didn't even get to half of that !

Yeah.... and? You make as many excuses as you want, the crowd was horrific. How many tests do Queenslanders get to see per year? If it was 10k you could argue yea.. it was okay... but it didn't even get to half of that !

The crowd was basically no different to what would be expected For that opposition. The same opponent drew not many more for a day nighter 4 years ago where they nearly chased a world record score.

I can’t fathom how it would be expected that the crowd would be heaps bigger than it was

If you played the exact same fixture at the same date at Docklands I bet the turn out would not be much better in Melbourne.

Do you have any evidence to support this? When was the last time the MCG got 6k people?
When was the last time they played a Test at the MCG that wasn't when there was no school on and nearly everyone was on holidays? Against poor opposition with the game already over?

If you think the attendance wouldn't anything but abysmal if it was played in Melbourne instead you are deluded.

When was the last time they played a Test at the MCG that wasn't when there was no school on and nearly everyone was on holidays? Against poor opposition with the game already over?

If you think the attendance wouldn't anything but abysmal if it was played in Melbourne instead you are deluded.

In the past 100 years, how many times has the MCG gotten 6k crowds for a game? You keep changing the goal posts.

Wot....

The Gabba test whilst not well attended, rated extremely well on TV.

Do you really think ground attendances pay the bills?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back