List Mgmt. Next Generation Academy List

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn, that sucks about Stevens. Should be relatively easy to match points now though. 1st and change for Jamarra, 2 thirds for McPherson and whatever’s left for Raak.

Last edited:

So did we not end up nominating Cooper Craig-Peters? I've not seen him linked to us for the draft.

As long as we can still have access to JUH then I’m not fussed. Obviously would rather discounted but happy to pay his worth. Will be a very unique player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If he goes at #1 that's 600 extra points we have to find. A bid at pick #1 or pick #2 means we need to find an additional second round draft pick worth of points.

I can understand the need for change but I think they are too generous with the northern academies, especially near-perennial finalists like Sydney and GWS. It smells awfully like the AFL trying to offer zoning to its project teams in Qld and NSW and a watered down version to all other clubs just to keep them quiet.

Also more important than changing the discount is the need to start tightening up the eligibility to be called an NGA player, especially those that go in the top end of the draft. It just seems that there are way too many of them and it's compromising the draft.

I think most if not all NGA first rounders would have made it to the AFL (yes, including JUH) even without this BS academy contrivance. Does anyone know of examples where academies have turned a player who wasn't going to play AFL or make the grade into a first rounder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I replied to original article saying there’s no way any change can happen now for 2020 because clubs have already traded future picks. Sam replies saying they definitely can then said AFL gave out wrong info and corrected his article.

Yeah, I replied to original article saying there’s no way any change can happen now for 2020 because clubs have already traded future picks. Sam replies saying they definitely can then said AFL gave out wrong info and corrected his article.
That sounds a whole lot better. I expect the AFL will still want to head that way in the slightly longer term though. The responsible way to do it is to foreshadow it at least 2 years out.

My points about the academy arrangements still stand.

A bit of transparency into the review process wouldn't go astray either (i.e. what the main concerns are, some supporting data, their reasoning, some options being considered) but too often we see that's not the AFL's way of doing business. They don't want any clubs mounting a rearguard action and heading off their proposed changes. A fait accomplis works much better.

Imagine the melts when we win the premiership next year!
Just imagine if JUH went Pick 1 and we were premiers. To be honest, if it were any other club, I'd be absolutely filthy. Sydney have been getting away with that crap for years (Heeney, Mills, Blakey) as has GWS.

Although with Twomey saying Green may not get a bid until around Pick 10 despite him being clearly top 3, the same could happen with JUH

No one will ever bid on a player with Pick 1 even if they are the best player in the draft. Just imagine your team finishing bottom of the ladder, the only thing you have to look forward to is having access to an elite talent that will give you hope for the future - only
to nominate a player that will likely be matched and now you get pushed down just to take the next best and then try and sell that to your fans.

No one will ever bid on a player with Pick 1 even if they are the best player in the draft. Just imagine your team finishing bottom of the ladder, the only thing you have to look forward to is having access to an elite talent that will give you hope for the future - only
to nominate a player that will likely be matched and now you get pushed down just to take the next best and then try and sell that to your fans.
It already feels bad enough bidding on a player, they get matched, then you take someone else. That player will pretty much always be "the backup option". Probably why the bids always tend to come in later than they should

Green bidded on at 10 even though hes a top 3 talent. Watch us get reamed and JUH get bid on at like 4 or 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back