Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not stating anything revolutionary here, but in terms of immediate impact, we have drafted possibly the most dynamic 18yr old kid I've ever seen (Buddy aside)...

He can play literally anywhere on the field and has the combination of speed, skill and that rare dose of qunt! Very rarely does an 18yr old show those 3 traits in their first year, let alone their career. The term "he could be anything" gets thrown around a bit, but jesus vickery, the sky is the limit with this bloke.

We all know why clubs overlooked him (LELLLLLLL Carltank), and lets hope the club can keep his head screwed on, because a decade of watching the Stackman in yellow and black gets my manhood all kinds of excited.
af98c-this.gif laughing.gif laughing.gif

You don't need to be an elite endurance athlete to be a good winger, obviously it helps. With Ellis it was his main weapon, Stack's is his dynamism. I would gladly swap Stack for Ellis.
Talent wise, without a doubt he's good enough, but with the 6-6-6 rules and our game style a winger really does need to have a good tank. Just saying that last year he definitely wasn't up to standard in that area, but if he has improved his endurance then why stop at wing? I reckon he could be a titch clone, playing half forward and rotating through the midfield.

Talent wise, without a doubt he's good enough, but with the 6-6-6 rules and our game style a winger really does need to have a good tank. Just saying that last year he definitely wasn't up to standard in that area, but if he has improved his endurance then why stop at wing? I reckon he could be a titch clone, playing half forward and rotating through the midfield.
I think the wing is under rated because it has been so long since we have had a really good one. Butch Gale, Joel Bowden for a while, can't think of too many good ones lately. Such a great transitional position. A young Steven Hill before he got Ross Lyoned was a weapon. To me Stack has that ability to break and cause chaos because he is that good with the ball in hand and such a great user. Said from the day we drafted him he reminded me of Nicky Winmar, and even more so now. Titch is not a bad comparison as he likewise causes damage when he is pushing forward, and could easily play on a wing. We may lose a touch with endurance with Stack, but make it up with x factor.
Caddy on the other wing balances it out, strength, smarts and experience. Reckon he will drop a few kg's and be a gun out there in 2020.

Stack off H/B for me.

Grimes/Astbury/Vlas
Houli/Rance/Stack
Stack rated above average and average in a number of areas playing HB .
He rated Elite in 3 or 4 categories playing HF according too the AFL site .
It was a interview with Harf and a nobody stats guy .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

bit small isnt it

a Broad or Balta would add some extra size

i want Stack on the ball but not sure he will be ready
Same as last year except Rance is bigger than Broad. There are a lot of small forwards, so having two small backs is okay. Edwards played HB quite a bit last year. Agreed we need to get some games into Balta, so he will get a gig here and there, and they won't let Broad rot away in the VFL either for too long.
Stack can play anywhere, but no need for the midfield just yet.

Yes there is just something special about him. I really think he will reach that club great level. He has done things I haven't seen a Richmond player do in their first year. He just has capability that others won't ever reach and only comes along once in a while, it's all about his attitude and mental application to the game now. If he commits to football and works hard, we have a club great on our hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes there is just something special about him. I really think he will reach that club great level. He has done things I haven't seen a Richmond player do in their first year. He just has capability that others won't ever reach and only comes along once in a while, it's all about his attitude and mental application to the game now. If he commits to football and works hard, we have a club great on our hands.

the upside is indeed ridiculous

walsh for example (same draft pool) is a fine player but one wonders how high the ceiling is. walsh is already very elite in running; Stack literally could be anything, and certainly has a lot of room for improvement - Martin and Bolton come to mind

I think the wing is under rated because it has been so long since we have had a really good one. Butch Gale, Joel Bowden for a while, can't think of too many good ones lately. Such a great transitional position. A young Steven Hill before he got Ross Lyoned was a weapon. To me Stack has that ability to break and cause chaos because he is that good with the ball in hand and such a great user. Said from the day we drafted him he reminded me of Nicky Winmar, and even more so now. Titch is not a bad comparison as he likewise causes damage when he is pushing forward, and could easily play on a wing. We may lose a touch with endurance with Stack, but make it up with x factor.
Caddy on the other wing balances it out, strength, smarts and experience. Reckon he will drop a few kg's and be a gun out there in 2020.

Caddy to the wing was an awesome move. Once he'd acclimatized he dominated. Tough nasty wings aren't around any more, so Cads could just basically work unmarked and do whatever he wanted.

Stack is similar in terms of talent (more than Caddy, but Cads is still very talented), hardness and impact. It would make for a dynamic, but not really hard running midfield. Over time I expect Stack to be a version of Sheds, less unbelievable but possible more rounded. Sheds is at his best when in the contested area and running. I reckon Sydney is fairly similar, he likes to be on the move, and loves the contest.

Very much looking forward to his 2020.

The club has put a heap of work to get the right people around him. He's aware of where he's at and what he has to do. SO hopefully he'll mature into a really solid citizen and fulfill his talent. Then he'll be a genuine A grade star.

Caddy to the wing was an awesome move. Once he'd acclimatized he dominated. Tough nasty wings aren't around any more, so Cads could just basically work unmarked and do whatever he wanted.

Stack is similar in terms of talent (more than Caddy, but Cads is still very talented), hardness and impact. It would make for a dynamic, but not really hard running midfield. Over time I expect Stack to be a version of Sheds, less unbelievable but possible more rounded. Sheds is at his best when in the contested area and running. I reckon Sydney is fairly similar, he likes to be on the move, and loves the contest.

Very much looking forward to his 2020.
Many of my memories of Stack are when he is on the move, or breaking from the pack, not so much inside the pack. He has that kick of pace and so much time with the ball. Shed's is both, and similar. The wing still has plenty of contested work, but more one on one, which Stack is a gun at. Reckon he has good running pattern, and another preseason will have plenty of legs. Covers the ground very easily.

the upside is indeed ridiculous

walsh for example (same draft pool) is a fine player but one wonders how high the ceiling is. walsh is already very elite in running; Stack literally could be anything, and certainly has a lot of room for improvement - Martin and Bolton come to mind
Agree Walsh is a fine player, but he is exactly what you see is what you get. He's an accumulator, he will run hard, he will get a lot of ball and he will use it well. Carlton have nailed it because they will get 200+ games and 10+ years of consistent, quality football. But Walsh has a ceiling, he doesn't light up the game like the very, very best do, and he doesn't have that intangible talent to go beyond and do things that others can't.

Stack is doing things only a few players can do, he is easily the biggest potential of any first year player at the club since young Dusty.

Watch the below highlight reel and you can see his insane ability. It's ridiculous for a first year player.

Agree Walsh is a fine player, but he is exactly what you see is what you get. He's an accumulator, he will run hard, he will get a lot of ball and he will use it well. Carlton have nailed it because they will get 200+ games and 10+ years of consistent, quality football. But Walsh has a ceiling, he doesn't light up the game like the very, very best do, and he doesn't have that intangible talent to go beyond and do things that others can't.

Stack is doing things only a few players can do, he is easily the biggest potential of any first year player at the club since young Dusty.

Watch the below highlight reel and you can see his insane ability. It's ridiculous for a first year player.

Best 13.08 seconds of my life.

So impressive. He can seriously do it all. Has pace, elite disposal, reads the play well, very good mark, tackles hard and he's a tough bastard. Can't wait to see him next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back