Prediction Disappointment at the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not trying to be too negative but with Father sons and Academy players our earliest pick at 26 will most likely be a pick 30-31- unless we trade up, but then why did we trade pick 8 to begin with.
At this point most/all of the household names we've been hearing about in the draft will be taken so be prepared to wonder who these players are that we're choosing.
It also means that we're likely getting the 'leftovers' at the draft. Obviously they may be good players and some clubs may have later first picks than us but apart from that the majority of the league is at least picking 1 player before north. In essence for key position fillers such as small forward, tall forward, tall defender and pacey mid we're most likely going to get the 3-4th best player in that position who's been overlooked by other clubs looking with similar needs to north.

I see north needing speed this draft with a replacement as tall defender for thompson's spot or at least someone to back up durdin or majak incase they get injured.
1-2 Small x factor speedy forwards, 1-2 pacey gun mids and a tall defender is what I'm hoping for come friday morning.

Happy to hear everyone's thoughts and provide conversation; please don't be abusive just because my opinion is different than yours.

I have to agree here. I got a bit worried when I saw Twomey having us draft some ruck/forward that I had never heard of at pick 30 and I keep getting more and more concerned as time passes.

I have to agree here. I got a bit worried when I saw Twomey having us draft some ruck/forward that I had never heard of at pick 30 and I keep getting more and more concerned as time passes.
Yeah 100%, he's acting like we need more tall forwards at the club :/ I'd take someone like Jeka but thats because he's 200cm and can play well down back.

Don't worry about it. We can draft for need at that range instead of feeling like we have to take a "best available" tweener or B- mid. We'll get players we like, we'll still get excited about them in preseason, there's plenty of improvement still in the kids we already have, we already got a shiny new toy in Bonar, we got 2 1sts next year.

There's a couple of likely looking live trade chances - Bulldogs with 13, 53, 89; Tiggers with 19, 38, 39, maybe GC's 15 or 20.

But the live trade I really want to make is Freo. They have 7, 8, 49, 58, an academy bid to match and Melbourne's 2020 second. See where I'm going with this?

Not trying to be too negative but with Father sons and Academy players our earliest pick at 26 will most likely be a pick 30-31- unless we trade up, but then why did we trade pick 8 to begin with.
At this point most/all of the household names we've been hearing about in the draft will be taken so be prepared to wonder who these players are that we're choosing.
It also means that we're likely getting the 'leftovers' at the draft. Obviously they may be good players and some clubs may have later first picks than us but apart from that the majority of the league is at least picking 1 player before north. In essence for key position fillers such as small forward, tall forward, tall defender and pacey mid we're most likely going to get the 3-4th best player in that position who's been overlooked by other clubs looking with similar needs to north.

I see north needing speed this draft with a replacement as tall defender for thompson's spot or at least someone to back up durdin or majak incase they get injured.
1-2 Small x factor speedy forwards, 1-2 pacey gun mids and a tall defender is what I'm hoping for come friday morning.

Happy to hear everyone's thoughts and provide conversation; please don't be abusive just because my opinion is different than yours.
1. "Househeld name" is a relative - let's say meaningless in this context - term. All of these kids could be nothing, any of them could be anything.
2. Look at the club by club list of picks and you'll see plenty of clubs won't be coming in until late. All of them, including North Melbourne, can make it worthwhile.
3. Not interested in being abusive, and your opinion isn't anywhere near controversial enough to invite it, but this thought doesn't really need a thread on its own. Unless you're starting a new idea, it's easier for everyone if new draft comments add to the discussion that exists and is being followed already. Welcome to Bigfooty.

The thread title is pretty much emo bait. Enjoy the "conversation" but surely if it's not to stir s**t up it could have just been part of the actual draft thread?
Just wanted something different than the normal who are we getting thread posting a different view. Maybe could have been in the trade thread but I think it would have gotten lost in the hundreds of posts.

Cant wait to hear all the currently sad fans changing their tunes next year with the two first rounders. If you can hold on that long.
Actually hope we use them for current players or trade down for multiple 2nd rounders. We're going to have heaps of list space next year and only 2 first rounders and a few 4th atm. So need to make up the list space or numbers.

Everyone knows I despise the deal because I think the chances of it backfiring are high, but I can only wonder if there are F/S's coming through next year so we banked points for them.
Dont believe so, Boomers kid will be 2021. May have some academy kids though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. "Househeld name" is a relative - let's say meaningless in this context - term. All of these kids could be nothing, any of them could be anything.
2. Look at the club by club list of picks and you'll see plenty of clubs won't be coming in until late. All of them, including North Melbourne, can make it worthwhile.
3. Not interested in being abusive, and your opinion isn't anywhere near controversial enough to invite it, but this thought doesn't really need a thread on its own. Unless you're starting a new idea, it's easier for everyone if new draft comments add to the discussion that exists and is being followed already. Welcome to Bigfooty.
Kept household name as player we've been hearing about for the past 6 weeks. Thought it made sense.

Wait to see what plays out first.

We may legitimately get 2-3 sliders that we weren't expecting.

We may trade up, plenty to play out.

Don't worry about it. We can draft for need at that range instead of feeling like we have to take a "best available" tweener or B- mid. We'll get players we like, we'll still get excited about them in preseason, there's plenty of improvement still in the kids we already have, we already got a shiny new toy in Bonar, we got 2 1sts next year.

There's a couple of likely looking live trade chances - Bulldogs with 13, 53, 89; Tiggers with 19, 38, 39, maybe GC's 15 or 20.

But the live trade I really want to make is Freo. They have 7, 8, 49, 58, an academy bid to match and Melbourne's 2020 second. See where I'm going with this?

I like your thinking.

I like your thinking.
Freo wont give up any picks and traded down so that they could get selections in before clubs went for henry. 2 top 10 picks and henry is pretty amazing for them. I believe they have 2-3 other good academy players that they will be matching bids on even if they go into deficit in 2020.

Actually hope we use them for current players or trade down for multiple 2nd rounders. We're going to have heaps of list space next year and only 2 first rounders and a few 4th atm. So need to make up the list space or numbers.

Do you really believe this?

If Shaw maintains this year's performance we'll play finals. If he gets improvement from some players (Wood & LMac for example) and frees up others (Turner and Jmac) and genuinely improves with a full pre season, on the basis he coaches like last year - less system more flexibility - he could push top 4. Add Maj, Bailey Scott pushing for a spot on the wing and possibly the other 3 or 4 (Jacobs, Hall et al) and it all looks very different.

I wouldn't count on lots of playing being gone next year. Its still up in the air right now. In fact players motivation to get a new contract could be another thing that drives us up the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back