List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McGinnity was niggly and rough around the edges but ultimately pretty small - can’t remember him ever really hurting anyone or being able to physically impose himself.

Robertson is Darling/Yeo size and at least has that bullocking physical hurt factor despite being a ball butcher

Tunners mkII?

Could be a good stop gap option for Rioli and create competition with Cameron, Petch and Venners for that spot

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Not a huge fan to be honest.

However as a SSP it’s not going to cost us much in the way of drafting capital.

Reminds me of the Dick ( Ex Collinwood ) pick up in 2012.

Pickett is so injury prone that the chances of him making it are very low.

Would personally rather us go a young fella that’s missed out on the draft, by way of a suggestion Jye Clark .

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Don’t mind the Pickett pick if we do go down that road. Especially as we can get him outside the draft.

Rookie list is perfect for a guy like him- he’s talented enough but just hasn’t had a decent run at it. A rookie list spot doesn’t cost us much and reduces the risk of him having a great year in the WAFL/VFL and us potentially having to pay a higher price to get him later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Pickett would have to be absolutely training the house down for us to grab him.id rather he show something at wafl level next yr.i doubt he would show much at wafl level tbh
Robertson Im 50/50 on.weve got enough average sml/medium backmen and weve got a tagger in hutchings.if we do take robertson can we just not take one of or both of brayshaw and ahchee or do we have to take them if available?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Tunners mkII?
that_tackle.gif

Could be a good stop gap option for Rioli and create competition with Cameron, Petch and Venners for that spot
Pickett’s not really a natural forward pocket though. He seems more of a very outside mid (with no tank) to me

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Pickett would have to be absolutely training the house down for us to grab him.id rather he show something at wafl level next yr.i doubt he would show much at wafl level tbh
Robertson Im 50/50 on.weve got enough average sml/medium backmen and weve got a tagger in hutchings.if we do take robertson can we just not take one of or both of brayshaw and ahchee or do we have to take them if available?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

We can have him train with us (we can apply for it anyway - I'm assuming it is pretty much always granted) after the draft - so can judge his fitness/progress/application for a couple of weeks prior to any formal commitment. I think it is the right move, whether he is the right player is for the club to judge, but leaving a spot open for another rookie via the SSP is very astute considering our (lack of high) picks in the draft and RD.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

Bingo. I was wondering about this fella. Had injury issues at GWS and then more injury at Carlton. Played a handful of promising games.

Perfect type to get to the club and train over the preseason before making a commitment.

Pretty happy we are looking at him and using the system to supplement our weaker draft hand. :thumbsu:

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
We can have him train with us (we can apply for it anyway - I'm assuming it is pretty much always granted) after the draft - so can judge his fitness/progress/application for a couple of weeks prior to any formal commitment. I think it is the right move, whether he is the right player is for the club to judge, but leaving a spot open for another rookie via the SSP is very astute considering our (lack of high) picks in the draft and RD.
Wise club always thinking wisely

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah not a fan of Pickett either.

He had a serious footy injury and then the Knee injury at Carlton so he has missed quite a bit of footy over the last 4 years. Pre-draft he had some talent but i cant see him getting his body right anytime soon.

Get the impression he didnt get his body fit enough for AFL standard and that contributed to his injuries. Recall that he was out of shape at Carlton just before doing his pcl.

Has the 'penny dropped'?

Has he woken up and worked out the level of hard work needed to make it at this level?

It sometimes takes a failure or two for a player to get with the program.

He obviously had the talent to be a top 10 pick. Rolling the dice on a kid with our last rookie spot isnt a big ask.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Pickett may have been pick 4 but since then he has had an ACL injury that he has not shown he has fully recovered from and now he has navicular issues. Not exactly the sort of prior injuries that will be easy to get over at Optus Oval.

His major asset was his pace. To my knowledge, he had never built up his endurance to an AFL standard. He has a hard road ahead of him to prove he can make it.

All of that said, if he is cheap as chips as our 44th player, he may surprise us all.

He’ll take the 44th spot on the list, so it’s low-risk, high reward.

This

We have 7 list spots to fill (5 if Brayshaw and Achee aren’t picked up by someone else) with no picks before 46

Sacrificing a list spot that would otherwise be used (very) late in the rookie draft on a talented but injury prone Pickett makes sense. Especially considering we get to trial him for a couple of weeks before committing via the SSP

High risk that his body may not be able to handle AFL as it hasn’t so far but the reward is there if he can overcome his injuries. With a strong well balanced list he’s worth a shot

He could even take Rioli’s spot if we move him to the inactive list before the SSP period ends in Feb or March or whenever it is. That’d allow us to take a full complement of picks at the draft in addition to Pickett as an SSP (having watched him train over the offseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back