News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Crazy talk about playing him straight after ban in finals ... he seems to be getting better the longer we don't see him.
he is good player but the Messiah he ain't.

Not sure why it is that crazy. Sure, he is not the messiah - but he is clearly B22 (Petch and Cameron are going to have to show some serious improvement to jump him in the pecking order - albeit they have the opportunity to whilst he is out).

We regularly take compromised players into games (especially finals) - as all teams do (see Hurn last year, Mcgovern the year prior) - depending on the health of our list do you roll the dice with a player who in a few 'moments' might win you a knockout final - or select the safe option.

Royals

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Not sure why it is that crazy. Sure, he is not the messiah - but he is clearly B22 (Petch and Cameron are going to have to show some serious improvement to jump him in the pecking order - albeit they have the opportunity to whilst he is out).

We regularly take compromised players into games (especially finals) - as all teams do (see Hurn last year, Mcgovern the year prior) - depending on the health of our list do you roll the dice with a player who in a few 'moments' might win you a knockout final - or select the safe option.
My concern is he played 14 games last year and on 9 occasions kicked one goal or less, take the emotion out of it and yep good player sure, but lets not build him into something he is not, because Cameron could easily have that same impact for us next year.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL

As much as I think Rioli could just come in and hit it for six I wouldn’t advise it , as he’ll need a few solid match practices ..

I

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
My concern is he played 14 games last year and on 9 occasions kicked one goal or less, take the emotion out of it and yep good player sure, but lets not build him into something he is not, because Cameron could easily have that same impact for us next year.

Nah, Rioli is elite at what he does. Willie might not be the biggest goal kicker but he creates many opportunities for others to score with all the small things he does around the ground. Here are his "scoring" stats from AFL stats pro. He is elite or above average in every category except the number of behinds he scores (which might be a good thing).

We are a better team with Willie in there, no doubt. The only good news in not having Willie is that we good forward stocks and have enough time up our sleeve to figure out what our forward set up should look like.

Only good thing to come out of this is it might be a good opportunity for Cameron/Petrucelle to get more exposure at AFL level, or we could potentially move some pieces around and find a role for Brander.

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover/CD_I296225/Rioli-Willie

1574661619964.png

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh well, taking the long-term glass half-full view - just add Willy and the team looks great for 2021!?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yoey

All Australian
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I haven't read all the post's in here but a workmate who apparently has some info that Rioli isn't very happy with the club at the moment, any truth to that ?

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I haven't read all the post's in here but a workmate who apparently has some info that Rioli isn't very happy with the club at the moment, any truth to that ?
I wouldn’t be surprised if the club has put their interests of being ‘clean’ in front of their care about Willie. They will be prioritising their PR image above anything else during this period for sure.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I wouldn’t be surprised if the club has put their interests of being ‘clean’ in front of their care about Willie. They will be prioritising their PR image above anything else during this period for sure.

We've sent an ex-player, assistant coach and then senior coach up to check in with him.

The club's lack of commentary in the media is just trying to minimise the air the whole fiasco gets. There's little to gain from discussing hypotheticals. I reckon Willie would be happy we've sent guys up there. He may have hoped we'd go into bat for him and maybe there's grounds for that which we're keeping under wraps until it's all resolved.

I could imagine if he wanted to return to Perth to train and they've told him to stay put that it could annoy him, though.

The chance of anyone here knowing this information is basically zero. The odds of someone who did know sharing it here are less than that.

Now onto the jooocy speculation:

I have seen a couple of people say Willie has posted stuff to social and then taken it down shortly after (something about a bumpy plane ride?) maybe he is getting censored in some regard on his social media and that could create friction?

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
TBH I couldn't care if Willie is happy with the club. He is the one that has stuffed up big time. If hes not happy he can retire or do what he wants so he can be delisted and not paid out but im sure he wouldn't do that... The club didn't make him smoke pot or tamper with his sample. He did and I certainly hope he isn't playing the victim here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back