Autopsy Bulldogs 2020 Fixture

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Guess ppl on here seem happy with no QLD games. A fair few like QLD games because they can go up there to watch and work holidays into it seems. Not many other places work as holiday locations during the AFL season.
Perth has weather comparable, just a bit longer on the plane.

Superhoop

Rookie
Sep 26, 2016
Gisborne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
QPR
ive got young kids so no idea why Friday and Saturday nights games aren’t family family.
As far as I’m aware kids don’t go to school Saturday’s or Sunday’s.

far better than Sunday arvo slots that we normally get stuck in

I didn’t realise kids don’t go to school on Saturdays or Sundays. Thanks.
I have young kids who would be asleep by 9pm. But hey your kids are ok watching footy at 10pm and not falling asleep so all good......

Superhoop

Rookie
Sep 26, 2016
Gisborne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
QPR
I probably don't mean up in arms but it just seems some people put a negative spin on a positive draw.
Not spin mate, just an opinion. Silly me thought it was ok to express an opinion. God forbid if someone doesn’t gush over a fixture list that is not family friendly. One afternoon home game at Marvel is not spin-it is fact. And if as I do you have young kids ( and are paying for a family Premiership Gold membership) I think I’m well within my rights to state an opinion...

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I didn’t realise kids don’t go to school on Saturdays or Sundays. Thanks.
I have young kids who would be asleep by 9pm. But hey your kids are ok watching footy at 10pm and not falling asleep so all good......

as long as the fixture suits MY family and my 4 year olds( who probably have no idea what they are watching ) don’t miss any games(and probably only go to 2-3 a year) I’m happy

I don’t worry about the 12 I can attend just the ones I cant(and wouldn’t anyway)

So all good .....

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Gold Coast is understandable as to why we would rather play them at Ballarat, but it's hardly going to be the local choice either. You will know we are doing well if that's well attended by them.
Last year the AFL calculated that anything approaching 8,000 to attend that game would have been a good result. Some 8,000 tickets were in fact pre-sold for the last Suns game while only 6,500 attended. Yes the Melbourne media had kicked into full gear that week preceding the game spooking the horses about Ballarat's weather because it had rained all week, but on the day the ground had been sufficiently dried out, the weather was sunny (if a bit blustery and cool) ... typical Ballarat fare for May. If people go to the footy in Ballarat, then they'd be insane to not wear a warm coat, some gloves, appropriate headwear and perhaps a scarf ... mmm? Sounds a lot like getting dressed for the footy, who'd have thought ;)

1574717060160.png

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
What was the ratio of Dogs to Roos supporters at Good Friday in 2017?
Like most North games, the entire membership consisting of three men, one woman (me) and a dog named Colin who form the core of the North Melbourne support, I guess that the rest must have been Bulldogs supporters :thumbsu:

But I suppose that in all fairness, one of those men is legally blind (and thinks that the stripes on our gurnseys are black and white ... we haven't got the heart to tell him any different) and the dog is in fact his guide dog ... and in his spare time he umpires AFL games. 😁

Last edited:

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
You get free entry in to two away games in Melbourne if you don't go to Ballarat with the standard membership.
Can see how it might be annoying for people who pay for the 22 game memberships but then it's probably easier to get to Ballarat than it is to Cairns.
At least when you fly to Cairns you do have the benefits of paying exorbidant bus/taxi fares to get to Melbourne Airport, or better still a crazy rate for parking (although we recently did stumble on a place near the airport which charges $10 per day to park including shuttle to and from the airport). A Cairns game does offer the chance to enjoy our domestic airlines marvellous food, their amazing service and being herded into a cramped plane to relax into four and a half hours of flying to Cairns (Including the half-hour stop over at Brisbane's equally expensive and exciting airport). All seems like pretty good value so far - I can't see a problem with this plan at all :think:

Of course you then get the added bonus of watching the team play the mighty football powerhouse that is the Gold Coast Suns in a tropical city where it is guaranteed to rain heavily at least four times throughout the day at a ground with cover for 2,500 spectators, only to fly back to Melbourne to re-savour to delights of Australia's domestic airline system :thumbsu:

All sounds pretty good, I can see now why many Melbourne people might prefer football in Cairns over Ballarat.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
At least when you fly to Cairns you do have the benefits of paying exorbidant bus/taxi fares to get to Melbourne Airport, or better still a crazy rate for parking (although we recently did stumble on a place near the airport which charges $10 per day to park including shuttle to and from the airport). A Cairns game does offer the chance to enjoy our domestic airlines marvellous food, their amazing service and being herded into a cramped plane to relax into four and a half hours of flying to Cairns (Including the half-hour stop over at Brisbane's equally expensive and exciting airport). All seems like pretty good value so far - I can't see a problem with this plan at all :think:

Of course you then get the added bonus of watching the team play the mighty football powerhouse that is the Gold Coast Suns in a tropical city where it is guaranteed to rain heavily at least four times throughout the day at a ground with cover for 2,500 spectators, only to fly back to Melbourne to re-savour to delights of Australia's domestic airline system :thumbsu:

All sounds pretty good, I can see now why many Melbourne people might prefer football in Cairns over Ballarat.

And it’s still a better option than Ballarat, says alot about the options doesn’t it?

lol and someone from Ballarat talking about another places rain. laughable

Last edited:

Well for what it's worth my family really enjoy the Ballarat games, we always head to the Hop Temple for pre drinks, and a snack and then head off somewhere after the game to eat somewhere. Parking is no hassle, catching the bus is great, they are quick as well. Honestly I don't know what the grumbling is about, we make money, we get Ballarat sponsoring us, we re building again in a regional area, it's an hours drive from Melbourne west, and a bit further elsewhere. We come from the Bellarine/Geelong area, so it takes us nearly two hours, but its worth it. Lastly the feel of the day, goes right back to the VFL days, for a bit of nostalgia.

And that's if we win. So far we've been lucky with GC. Great fun travelling to a far-off uncomfortable venue only to lose, which we've also done :(.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Well for what it's worth my family really enjoy the Ballarat games, we always head to the Hop Temple for pre drinks, and a snack and then head off somewhere after the game to eat somewhere. Parking is no hassle, catching the bus is great, they are quick as well. Honestly I don't know what the grumbling is about, we make money, we get Ballarat sponsoring us, we re building again in a regional area, it's an hours drive from Melbourne west, and a bit further elsewhere. We come from the Bellarine/Geelong area, so it takes us nearly two hours, but its worth it. Lastly the feel of the day, goes right back to the VFL days, for a bit of nostalgia.
I think that that is what I do enjoy about the Ballarat games is the old fashioned vibe. The intimacy of the ground, the mixture of standing and seating, the choices and range of food, beer in cans and you are made to feel appreciated and welcomed by the staff attending the ground. The whole Ballarat experience can and will improve in time as they progressively upgrade the ground, but I am with Bevo when he said that he would hate to see Mars Stadium being built to a cookie cutter AFL ground. He likes the hill and the vista to Mounts Warrenheip and Bunninyong and thinks that Ballarat could be enhanced by offering open fire pits around ground and embracing ways to celebrate Ballarat's greatest Winter asset ... It's cold. Ballarat has embraced Winter with it's Winterfest and that should be incorporated to allow footy going fans entry to the pop up ice skating rink in the city, perhaps eventually night footy with a snow and light display at the ground like they do at Sovereign Hill or even free entry to the night winter wonderlights display at the Hill. So many possibilities to positively display Ballarat for its good points and to make it a great and celebratory experience for Bulldogs fans to seriously make it their own.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
It's because one poster bangs on negatively about it with monotonous regularity.
Hmmm?:think: Who could that possibly be? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who seriously cares about the haters of the world, life's too short, let's just move forward and enjoy together the season that lays ahead.

Last edited:

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can this not be another thread where Roogal makes up complete garbage in her attempt to tells us all how brilliant Ballarat is while pretending that she has no alterior motive at all

it’s about 2020 fixture not her dreams to feather her own nest

We got a great fixture with no excuses So let’s hope for a big year

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Secondly why have a Friday night game in Canberra against the plastics, virtually no chance for Dogs supporters from Melbourne or Sydney to get to the game (I'm in Sydney and I'd have to leave work just after lunch to do the 4 hour drive to Canberra through the endless Sydney traffic). The plastics have no supporters so they don't care when the game is on but a Saturday game would be the best time for Dogs supporters.

Everyone happy that the Giants get over $2m a year for their Canberra games?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Last edited:
Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
like Ballarat it’s a pure cash grab so I don’t think we can complain

Lol did it say “games regularly sold out”???? Have they ever had a sell out in Canberra?

I have mates down there (they hate the Giants) and I often go down if the Dogs are playing. I believe that the games are well attended probably better than their s**t home ground up here.

Ever been to Spotless MD? Campaigner of a place (except in 2016)

Everyone happy that the Giants get over $2m a year for their Canberra games?

It's not that different (per game) to what we're getting from Ballarat. As MD pointed out it's the same sort of deal. It just happens to be a bit further down the road from Sydney than Ballarat is from Footscray.

All good. It also means I get a chance to see the Doggies without leaving town. :)

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have mates down there (they hate the Giants) and I often go down if the Dogs are playing. I believe that the games are well attended probably better than their s**t home ground up here.

never been and will never go unless it’s to watch someone other than that orange plastic sh!t

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's not that different (per game) to what we're getting from Ballarat. As MD pointed out it's the same sort of deal. It just happens to be a bit further down the road from Sydney than Ballarat is from Footscray.

All good. It also means I get a chance to see the Doggies without leaving town. :)

I hope to get down there in 2020. I used to live in Canberra in the 70s and 80s.

My Canberra Tigers friend wants to wear his 2019 premiership gear to the Giants game. He loathes them as much as we do. I may be able to get other Canberra mates along (Saints and Pies fans) to form a Dogs mercenary army. They loathe them as much as we do.

Maybe our paths will cross?

Having been to both grounds Dry Rot can't disagree. Some good pubs around the Canberra ground, just a shame it is a Friday night, might make it hard to get there. Would definitely have gone on a Saturday or Sunday

Back