List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

If we really told Dougal his future was up forward, why would we be looking at a tall defender? We've lost Frampton, Ryder (who played forward mostly) and Howard who we told to move forward. We didn’t lose any tall backs and we get Watts back who looked good across half back before his injury.

I agree it is impossible to tell the strength of the few Talls around as they had no competition. The best drafts for Talls tend to be when there are plenty in the pool. When there’s only a few the chances of a dud is hugely increased.

To be honest, I don’t really care who we draft.. usually I get it wrong anyway, I was convinced DBJ was gunna be nothing, that Andrew Moore was gunna be a superstar. I’ll welcome whoever we draft. Only time will tell
There’s 3827 posts in this thread that do care. Most premierships are won in November.

And you’re not alone in getting players wrong. Paid professionals got Robbie Gray wrong collectively some 70 times before Port (who got him wrong about 4 times) got him right.

I have pretty much accepted that we are going to select trainable list needs players to set up for the future. Bergman, De Koning, Bianco and Ebert fit that mould.. sack Hinkley!

Unpopular opinion but i actually dont mind the idea of trent bianco at 18. One of the best dual sided kicks and decision makers in this draft where, in our team full of panic kicks or predictable kicks to ruckman/tall on the wing it would be nice to have a player who doesnt s**t himself (bonner) be able to hit targets break down zones and open up games. Hartlett and Burton can are capable of doing this.

Main concern for everyone on this board is his sub 180 height speed and athleticism. The same could go for Gould who i wouldnt mind either at this pick

Bianco is a poor kick. He panic kicks all the time

I think if Serong or Stephens are there we’ll take them.

I was ok with Bergman as a big bodied mid until I found out he didn’t actually play midfield and was more of a third tall in attack and defence. Screams Andrew moore type selection.
That is precisely the reason we didn’t select Fyfe. We accidentally watched Fyfe kick 7 goals in a colts game as a third tall (we were there watching someone else) but overlooked him because he didn’t play midfield as was a third tall.

Bianco is a poor kick. He panic kicks all the time

Not saying I disagree, but I think you might be one of the few who think this way.

Having looked over his vids again, my concern is he doesn’t have any other weapons. No speed, average agility, short, average overhead. So if his kicking is as you say, he doesn’t have the tools to get away with this.

That is precisely the reason we didn’t select Fyfe. We accidentally watched Fyfe kick 7 goals in a colts game as a third tall (we were there watching someone else) but overlooked him because he didn’t play midfield as was a third tall.
how often do you reckon a third tall turns out to be Nat Fyfe vs they turn out to be a third tall?

Would have thought that would give you more reason to select him.

Port Adelaide really likes Will Day, the skinny West Adelaide half-back flanker with a high footy IQ. Day – grandson of Bloods champion Robert Day and cousin of Gold Coast forward Sam Day – has shot up draft boards but he may be gone before the Power’s first selection, let alone their second, because the Suns and Geelong are also believed to be really keen on him.

■ Don’t be surprised if Port takes a punt on one of Sturt’s Lochowiak brothers, Mihail and Anzac, who catch the eye due to their athleticism and sheer talent. The Power were rumoured to have had a good look at Mihail, 19, last year but he went undrafted. He kicked nine goals in a reserves game this past season and could shape as a late national or rookie option.

North Adelaide defender Karl Finlay looms as a possible later target for the Power, which are among the four clubs that have shown the most interest. The other are Essendon, Geelong and Hawthorn.

SA PLAYER WHISPERS

Glenelg Magarey medallist Luke Partington has spoken recently with Essendon and Hawthorn, which have several late national draft picks between them, starting with the Hawks’ No. 50. The former West Coast Eagle was linked to Port Adelaide over the weekend.

■ Some phantom drafts have Kysaiah Pickett in the mix to land at Port Adelaide with its second pick, but Melbourne (pick 10) and Western Bulldogs (13) remain the ones to have spoken with the Woodville-West Torrens small forward most.

■ North Adelaide mature-age small forward Frank Szekely has generated some late interest and Brisbane is understood to have led the way. Szekely, who is 20 and a 177cm, 68kg pocket rocket, looms as more of a rookie selection if he is taken.

■ Gold Coast appears to be the club most likely to take a swing at Glenelg’s former baseballer Callum Park at the back end of the national draft. Essendon is also believed to be considering the 18-year-old utility.

■ Late-blooming Glenelg defender Jordan Moore is generating serious interest and has had eight to 10 interviews with clubs. West Coast is in the frame, while Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong and Richmond have also spoken to him.

■ Noah Hannagan’s name has barely rated a mention as a draft prospect in media chatter but the West Adelaide forward may be an outside chance.

■ Several clubs have spoken to former swimmer turned Norwood ruckman Henry Crauford, who is 22, 202cm, 99kg and a smoky to be a late national or rookie selection because of the lack of ruckmen available

I personally like the fact we're looking to draft a couple of talls, whether they're a reach at our picks, that's always debatable. I hated the fact that the Maggies had Mckenzie and Garner playing as tall backs when they're more flankers at AFL level. We definitely need a couple of developing tall backs, particularly as Grundy is so far away from being even SANFL league standard. Now that Frampton has gone, we also need a developing tall forward, if it's Jones then great. I just don't get the argument that if they can't play next year then don't draft them. How exactly are we then planning for post Westhoff, Jonas, Dixon etc? I assume I'm like most on here, we read about the players and watch 2 minutes of footage and then we'll argue about who's a better long term prospect. While drafting well never be an exact science, nothing suggests to me that we don't having a competent recruiting department. Can't wait for tonight when we'll find out who the players will be...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s 3827 posts in this thread that do care. Most premierships are won in November.

And you’re not alone in getting players wrong. Paid professionals got Robbie Gray wrong collectively some 70 times before Port (who got him wrong about 4 times) got him right.
In the end people are crying and getting upset based on potential and football played by 17 year old.. once their in the system everything changes anyway.

crying about not getting this specific player is dumb, with the amount of players that are picked early that don’t make it

In the end people are crying and getting upset based on potential and football played by 17 year old.. once their in the system everything changes anyway.

crying about not getting this specific player is dumb, with the amount of players that are picked early that don’t make it
I'm crying about getting specific players

One of the most interesting sideshows of this draft has to be the academy/FS bidding, or the lack thereof. Three clubs have traded up to avoid bids, and going off Twomey's Phantom each one of these trades was completely pointless given the bids will come later then the original picks that the clubs had. Even doubting Twomey's veracity, Sydney has confirmed that they will not bid on Green with 5 so GWS just gave away a first round pick next year for no reason.

I think this raises two questions:

1. Why don't clubs bid for NGA/Academy/FS players at their nominal value? I can understand some quid pro quos going on between clubs with fruitful academies (i.e. if you don't bid on mine we won't bid on yours), but it makes no sense when you have clubs like Adelaide and Port who rarely ever have special access to players.

2. Why are clubs jumping at shadows with regards to trading up? The only thing I can think of is that this is indicative of lots of misinformation going around. Maybe there will be a few surprises in the top ten unlike previous years.

All will be revealed tonight I guess.

Knightmare's final cheesefest...

Day, De Koning, Jones + Mead at 32 to match a Brisbane bid

Not saying I disagree, but I think you might be one of the few who think this way.

Having looked over his vids again, my concern is he doesn’t have any other weapons. No speed, average agility, short, average overhead. So if his kicking is as you say, he doesn’t have the tools to get away with this.

Hes a good kick when on his own. Under pressure, no good at all.

Knightmare's final cheesefest...

Day, De Koning, Jones + Mead at 32 to match a Brisbane bid

Lol. That would be a disaster on every level.

Howard, pick 10, pick 29 (because if Mead doesn't get a bid until 32 we could've kept 29) and 2020 first rounder out for Day, de Koning and Jones. Wow ****ing wee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back