Prediction POLL Whos on your shortlist for our first draft selection?

Who will we take with our first selection in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was looking for that too but went for Gould as the only person I’ve read a few things on.

I don’t deserve an opinion on this stuff but he looks the part and appears to have some X factor about him.

Basically I have no idea but ..,
C'mon mate, we're all experts this time of year....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

C'mon mate, we're all experts this time of year....

First selection in the late 20’s has even us experts scratching our heads!
I went for Taylor because there was an article on him a few days ago and his bloodlines are amazing, seems he’s related to just about every star indigenous family there is.

First selection in the late 20’s has even us experts scratching our heads!
I went for Taylor because there was an article on him a few days ago and his bloodlines are amazing, seems he’s related to just about every star indigenous family there is.
Looking into the breeding. I like it. No significant wet track form on either side. Should go well under the roof.

Mitch O'Neil
Trey Ruscoe
K. Pickett

Ok I’ll put mine in order we need that type of player then a replacement as likely our first option be gone but is an adequate replacement

Pickett then Taylor
Gould then rantall then Stephens then Sch
Bianco then Rivers
Rantall then Stephens then Schoenberg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok I’ll put mine in order we need that type of player then a replacement as likely our first option be gone but is an adequate replacement

Pickett then Taylor
Gould then rantall then Stephens then Sch
Bianco then Rivers
Rantall then Stephens then Schoenberg

the Ziebull then New Roo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all know who will be drafted. He’s the same guy who gets drafted every year. His name is Nottheguy Inthatarticleyouread.

Why would you want 2 KPP Defenders?

This is more my order of preference if one or two are already off the table.
In saying that I wouldn’t be at all upset if we took both De koning and Gould with our earlier picks. I don’t really see Gould as a key defender and they will both play different roles in the back 6.
We could potentially have our defence sorted for the next 10 years and add a couple of mids with our two 1st rounders next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's a tough choice. Do we draft him I want to know? How can I tell if the draftee suits our call?

Is it in his eyes? No, probably not. We can be deceived.

Is it in his sighs? Maybe not. He may just make believe.

If we want to know if he suits us so it's in his kick. That's where it is.

This is more my order of preference if one or two are already off the table.
In saying that I wouldn’t be at all upset if we took both De koning and Gould with our earlier picks. I don’t really see Gould as a key defender and they will both play different roles in the back 6.
We could potentially have our defence sorted for the next 10 years and add a couple of mids with our two 1st rounders next year.

Or we could potentially repeat what we did in the 2014 and get minimal input out of 3 well placed picks by trying to have our "defence sorted".

We need to learn from our mistakes, we have been unable to nail a KPP in the first/second round since Tarrant (2007), and he took 5+ years to deliver. It's quite clearly a problem area for us.

I'm happy to use 1 of the three picks on Gould, as you mentioned he's not a full KPP (Although the same could have been said for Neilsen/EVW) - however to use 2 out of those 3 picks on defenders would be idiotic.

It's a midfielders game and despite adding some talent to our midfield group the last couple years (LDU, Ahern, Simpkin, Bonar, TT), none of these are a sure thing to be elite midfielders. History shows you need multiple elite mids to win a flag and we need to keep adding talented mids till we nail one.

Or we could potentially repeat what we did in the 2014 and get minimal input out of 3 well placed picks by trying to have our "defence sorted".

We need to learn from our mistakes, we have been unable to nail a KPP in the first/second round since Tarrant (2007), and he took 5+ years to deliver. It's quite clearly a problem area for us.

I'm happy to use 1 of the three picks on Gould, as you mentioned he's not a full KPP (Although the same could have been said for Neilsen/EVW) - however to use 2 out of those 3 picks on defenders would be idiotic.

It's a midfielders game and despite adding some talent to our midfield group the last couple years (LDU, Ahern, Simpkin, Bonar, TT), none of these are a sure thing to be elite midfielders. History shows you need multiple elite mids to win a flag and we need to keep adding talented mids till we nail one.

So how do you address our KPD then ? The only way I see is to keep going back to the well until you get it right. The only other option is to poach them from other clubs. You won’t win a flag regardless of how good your midfield is if you have a poor defence.
I think recent history suggest you need elite defenders too. Look at the last two sides that have won the flag.
We have drafted a lot of poor mids over the journey too. Remember Clarke, Hibbered, Mountford from the one draft, yet only McKay remains from that draft year. Do we give up on drafting mids?

Last edited:
So how do you address our KPD then ? The only way I see is to keep going back to the well until you get it right. The only other option is to poach them from other clubs. You won’t win a flag regardless of how good your midfield is if you have a poor defence.
I think recent history suggest you need elite defenders too. Look at the last two sides that have won the flag.
We have drafted a lot of poor mids over the journey too. Remember Clarke, Hibbered, Mountford from the one draft, yet only McKay remains from that draft year. Do we give up on drafting mids?

Well firstly, I dont see KPD's as a catastrophic hole in our current list. We have at least 3 more years from Tarrant, Majak has played decent footy down back and have Mckay & Durdin desperate for opportunity and remain relatively untried. Would I be against taking a development KPD with a late pick? Ofcoarse not, but we have bigger priorities with those first three picks. As I said, I'd be fine with #49 being used on a KPD or us to target a raw project KPD via the rookie draft.

Take a look at the 2019 AA Squads KPD's - D. Grimes (#2 Pre Season Draft), N. Haynes (#7 National Draft), J. McGovern (#44 Rookie Draft), D. Talia (#13 National Draft), H. Andrews (#61 National Draft), M. Blicavs (#54 Rookie Draft)... Only 2 have been a high pick. Point is, you don't have to use a first/second rounder on these guys.

The 2015 draft really just reiterates the in competencies of Joyce, Scott & our recruiting staff. Clarke was pick 31 and couldn't kick at junior level, Hibberd was pick 33 HBFer who couldn't kick and was slow, Mountford was pick 60.

Back