soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
Wonder if there is any chance we can package 35 and 48 for a mid 20’s pick and then package that pick and next year’s first to GC for pick 15.

Gives GC 11 and our first to pay with next year

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
How's the media going with this "the new Buddy Franklin" BS about this Ugle Hagan kid?

Franklin is a once in a generation freak and there's just no way this kid will be as good. It's like when Leigh Matthews rubbished the comparisons of Sav Rocca to Tony Lockett in Sav's early days. It seems extremely unlikely!

Technically speaking we are at the start of the next generation - Buddy's "generation" in football terms is pretty much over now by any measure you care to use (and he will be gone by the time this kid really starts making a real impact in his early 20's), so I don't put much stock into the viewpoint that there can't be another "generational talent" coming through because Buddy already has that mantle well and truly locked up for this generation.

Who knows what the kid will be - if he has the professionalism to succeed at AFL level then he apparently possesses the tools to be a good footballer by AFL standards in his own right.

Whether he ends up being a "generational talent" depends on how much further he is willing to push himself (both physically and mentally) beyond being a good footballer at AFL level.

The last one compared to Buddy was Spencer White wasn't it?

That's right, Spencer "two game" White.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Wonder if there is any chance we can package 35 and 48 for a mid 20’s pick and then package that pick and next year’s first to GC for pick 15.

Gives GC 11 and our first to pay with next year

So a late 2019 2nd, a 2019 3rd and a 2020 1st for a late 2019 1st? No thanks. I’m ok with overs (2020 1st plus something) to get the extra 12 months in to them, but that’s too much. It’d need to be a selection around 10 for me to do that deal especially considering its 16 by the time we get it.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
So a late 2019 2nd, a 2019 3rd and a 2020 1st for a late 2019 1st? No thanks. I’m ok with overs (2020 1st plus something) to get the extra 12 months in to them, but that’s too much. It’d need to be a selection around 10 for me to do that deal especially considering its 16 by the time we get it.

We might want to hold fire and see what happens around NGA bidding first, looks like they are looking at changes for that 2021 draft.

We have 2 in Dib and Reef might need the first if they change the rules around it.

Technically speaking we are at the start of the next generation - Buddy's "generation" in football terms is pretty much over now by any measure you care to use (and he will be gone by the time this kid really starts making a real impact in his early 20's), so I don't put much stock into the viewpoint that there can't be another "generational talent" coming through because Buddy already has that mantle well and truly locked up for this generation.

Who knows what the kid will be - if he has the professionalism to succeed at AFL level then he apparently possesses the tools to be a good footballer by AFL standards in his own right.

Whether he ends up being a "generational talent" depends on how much further he is willing to push himself (both physically and mentally) beyond being a good footballer at AFL level.
Technically speaking we are still in Buddy's "generation" as he's still playing (just being pedantic back at you).

I think you know what I'm saying. I'm sure there's a minuscule chance the kid could be the greatest player whoever played and a mix between Franklin, Carey Matthews, Daicos and Bradman BUT what are the chances of this?

The fact that Buddy is still playing (albeit not long to go) what are the chances of a new Buddy coming along immediately?

It's extremely remote........about the chances of me scoring a date with Mila Kunis. :p

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Technically speaking we are still in Buddy's "generation" as he's still playing (just being pedantic back at you).

I think you know what I'm saying. I'm sure there's a minuscule chance the kid could be the greatest player whoever played and a mix between Franklin, Carey Matthews, Daicos and Bradman BUT what are the chances of this?

The fact that Buddy is still playing (albeit not long to go) what are the chances of a new Buddy coming along immediately?

It's extremely remote........about the chances of me scoring a date with Mila Kunis. :p

source.gif

We might want to hold fire and see what happens around NGA bidding first, looks like they are looking at changes for that 2021 draft.

We have 2 in Dib and Reef might need the first if they change the rules around it.
They’ve confirmed that there won’t be changes in 2020 for Reef, and there won’t be FS changes for Daicos, so the only concern is Dib, and whilst he looks ok, there’s not much to suggest we’ll be stretched to acquire him just yet.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

I wasn't being pedantic - Buddy's generation is coming to an end and by the time this draft crop pushes through in 2022 onwards virtually every notable player from his generation (ie. starting in the early-to-mid 2000's) will have retired.

I don't agree with what you're saying at all, as there is no reason why we couldn't see a kid who who has a bit of something special that sets them apart from the pack once again actually making the most of their ability and becoming a "generational" talent going forward. Whether this specific kid has it in him only time will tell, but I wouldn't be writing him off before his career has even begun, based on some abstract notion that he can't be that good just because the "time isn't right".

There's also no rule saying that the "next big thing" can't emerge while a current star is still playing - the very fact that Buddy is playing and is who he is in the game would be more likely to increase the chances of a kid wanting to model themselves on his game and keep working on developing a bag of tricks that nobody else has (which is where Buddy really stands out), than it would be to act as a barrier for the next generation.

That particular theme is one that plays out in top level sport all around the world and there's no reason why it couldn't do the same in the AFL.

Last edited:

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
They’ve confirmed that there won’t be changes in 2020 for Reef, and there won’t be FS changes for Daicos, so the only concern is Dib, and whilst he looks ok, there’s not much to suggest we’ll be stretched to acquire him just yet.

I'm guessing that we'll probably see a reduction in the bid-matching discount (eg. 20% for FS and northern academies, 10% for NGA) and perhaps some tightening of the rules surrounding eligibility or the number of NGA bid matches that a club can make in any given year, or perhaps within a rolling window, similar to how future first round pick trades are restricted?

I wouldn't be surprised to even see some limitations on the number of bid-matched players on a club's list in any given year also become a thing, so that a club which is lucky enough to have a particularly rich and productive pipeline can't continually reap the benefits of that pipeline at a discount.

I wasn't being pedantic - Buddy's generation is coming to an end and by the time this draft crop pushes through in 2022 onwards virtually every notable player from his generation (ie. starting in the early-to-mid 2000's) will have retired.

I don't agree with what you're saying at all, as there is no reason why we couldn't see a kid who who has a bit of something special that sets them apart from the pack once again actually making the most of their ability and becoming a "generational" talent going forward. Whether this specific kid has it in him only time will tell, but I wouldn't be writing him off before his career has even begun, based on some abstract notion that he can't be that good just because the "time isn't right".

There's also no rule saying that the "next big thing" can't emerge while a current star is still playing - the very fact that Buddy is playing and is who he is in the game would be more likely to increase the chances of a kid wanting to model themselves on his game and keep working on developing a bag of tricks that nobody else has (which is where Buddy really stands out), than it would be to act as a barrier for the next generation.

That particular theme is one that plays out in top level sport all around the world and there's no reason why it couldn't do the same in the AFL.
I'm sure we'll see stars, special players and even a once in a generation type player, but the chances of us seeing another "Buddy Franklin" are very remote i.e. the next big thing won't be a Buddy clone or similar type, he'll have something else different.

Fratbrat

Senior List
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm sure we'll see stars, special players and even a once in a generation type player, but the chances of us seeing another "Buddy Franklin" are very remote i.e. the next big thing won't be a Buddy clone or similar type, he'll have something else different.
If Grundy finds another level we're watching him.

Of course he'll have to fight off De Goey but these are inhouse problems.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

From reports if Dib and Reef continue on their improvement curve they will both project first round Reef top 10 and Dib in teens. We will see I guess, and yeah thought they meant the 2021 Draft year which is technically 2020 but I prob read it wrong.

From reports if Dib and Reef continue on their improvement curve they will both project first round Reef top 10 and Dib in teens. We will see I guess, and yeah thought they meant the 2021 Draft year which is technically 2020 but I prob read it wrong.
Nah there was an article about it with confirmation the Dogs still being able to get full discount on Ugle-Hagan(?) next year.

Nah there was an article about it with confirmation the Dogs still being able to get full discount on Ugle-Hagan(?) next year.

After Re-Reading the Article there Discount be still there next year but the year after that it MIGHT not be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back