Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

• Bart: Remember when Tom had you in that headlock and you screamed, "I'm a hemophiliac!" and when he let you go, you kicked him in the back?
  • Homer: Yeah.
  • Bart: Will you teach me how to do that?
  • Homer: Sure, boy. First, you gotta shriek like a woman and keep sobbing until he turns away in disgust. That's when it's time to kick some back. And then when he's lying down on the ground...
  • Bart: Yeah.
  • Homer: Kick him in the ribs.
  • Homer: Step on his neck.
  • Homer: And run like hell.

lot of misunderstanding about 2km running capacity and our list.

lightweight Kids with elite running ability are always going to perform well at 2km time trials (fresh, before training/contact).

Hardened footballers might not win the 2km time trial, but they will still be showing up on 5th and 6th repeat contest. Tom Lynch and Sloane are classic example. His workrate is what makes him a great player. Never see them winning the 2km time trials do you?

lightweight Kids with elite running ability are always going to perform well at 2km time trials (fresh, before training/contact).

Hardened footballers might not win the 2km time trial, but they will still be showing up on 5th and 6th repeat contest. Tom Lynch and Sloane are classic example. His workrate is what makes him a great player. Never see them winning the 2km time trials do you?

ogilve said yesterday how Douglas 1st time trial at crows was his best in his whole time at the club.

Hit. Nail. Head.
It’s evident there’s not too many people on BF who understand Running

Historically, Sloane has been up the front of the pack. He was 3rd in our time trial 2 seasons ago (behind Gibson and Kelly) and spent a lot of years in the "just behind Van Berlo" list.

I don’t think anyone misunderstands or misrepresents the importance of the 2km time trial. I think we all understand it’s quite minor in the grand scheme of things.

In fact I strongly suspect it’s been built up by the clubs at the AFL’s behest to occupy a minor part of the AFL 12 month cycle. A talking point to bridge the start of PS with the Draft.

Nevertheless, none of us want to see players coming back with poor times and, at best, it gives us a certain handle on how players are tracking at this early stage.

Im quite certain no one gives a damn about what time Dusty ran when September rolls around

Think about Johncock, he smoked a pack a day always came back out of shape but my god he was a great player his time trial was non existant.

I also doubt Darren Jarman ever worried about the 2km time trial.

This obession with times and who finishes where is complete hog wash

Think about Johncock, he smoked a pack a day always came back out of shape but my god he was a great player his time trial was non existant.

Fitness/endurance is never hogwash.

The significance of fitness/run/speed has really ramped up in recent years with the changes to the game.

Loved Johncock, was going to say Stiffy but that could come back to bite me

The game has changed a lot since those 2 played,

Loved Johncock, was going to say Stiffy but that could come back to bite me

I have told this story on here before
The second time I bought a friend out from Bali I took her to Adelaide and a Crows match at West Lakes
Female to female had to explain the correlation. Sorry to anyone sitting near us. I think I did some animation.

Or think about how good they could've been if they had elite fitness.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the senior players are dads these days. They wouldn't have the same single-minded purpose and hunger of the young blokes. They might be able to mouth it in interviews but reality is they've had their shot and they know it.
Not being obsessed with football isn't the worst thing in the world. Listen to Jake Kelly talk about it this year, he was living, eating and breathing nothing but football and it was mentally taking a big toll on him. He cut back massively this year and focused on other things away from the club and had his best season ever. All these guys having things away from football to focus their time and energy on could just be the perfect thing to get them back on track, especially considering all the downs we've had on the football field in recent years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back