Slashing the half time break to 10 minutes

Half time break should be?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Browne is reporting (so may not actually have been suggested) that the AFL is considering slashing the half time break to just 10 minutes. Thoughts

It's an odd concept because it would be robbing the tv networks of advertising revenue.
Or some washed up bloke doing 'special comments' loses their 5 minutes of halftime fame.

It's an odd concept because it would be robbing the tv networks of advertising revenue.

the afl is mooting shorter games. perhaps this is a strategy to have more games (more teams) but faster games (shorter quarters and breaks). I guess the pay tv model is the future, rather than advertising

Tom Browne is reporting (so may not actually have been suggested) that the AFL is considering slashing the half time break to just 10 minutes. Thoughts

Call me crazy but I enjoy the longer half time break. It's a good break if you're at the footy, and if you're at home it's handy to get a few things done before the footy starts again.

Got no idea why there's such an obsession with changing all aspects of the game.

Would be happy to see it reduced to 15 minutes. 10 minutes means that if people want to get something at the game during the break you would most likely be missing some of the game.

You would also think the stadiums might be making less revenue which is an interesting decision when the AFL own Marvel

Or some washed up bloke doing 'special comments' loses their 5 minutes of halftime fame.
They might have to reduce it down in 8 commentators at the game

Same time as its reported to be considering challenges to goal umpires decisions - still in awe how much the speed of the game was sped up by allowing kick ins before the goal umpires stopped waving the flags.

I'd love to see it cut, it's ridiculously long when you're watching a game. I've heard that clubs don't like the length either as it's hard keeping the players warmed up for that length of time, not sure about the accuracy of that though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually don't mind this proposal. Am presuming that for the AFL to let it get this far that they've checked with experts in the field and that it won't adversely affect players' health.

Does seem a major change though, but perhaps with the vastly changed way footy is played now 20 min breaks are a relic of a bygone era.

From first bounce to final siren, how long is a game these days? Three hours?

Attention spans aren't what they used to be.

The average kid today can cycle through three or four different gender identifications in that space of time.

If we still have three-hour matches of AFL by 2030 I'll be surprised.

slash... slash and slash again... no lads need to worry about time factors... they were getting it too easy for a while now..

the lads of the EPL are making it with all sorts of trials...

nOthing else will suffice... gill is nowhere to be found... rats are humbugs....

Back