LIVE: Draft day discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No, we have the 2nd selection tomorrow.

According to the draft tracker we have the first pick tomorrow.

I think the Gold Coast Suns pick (now Carlton's) is an end of first round pick as opposed to a start of second round pick :)

Yes, there is a slight difference there.

Edit: I hope that's the case anyway. Would love to have the first pick tomorrow.

Edit Edit: Nope, looks like we have the 2nd pick tomorrow. :( balls.

Last edited:

Practical joke on Preuss.

Funnily enough that was the move that left me scratching my head the most last year...

Not really on Melbourne's behalf, because a backup ruckman is useful, but for Pruess to decide to go from being stuck behind a decent first ruck to being stuck behind a younger and better first ruck.

Just got back on.

Wow Carlton playing games, who would have guessed.

But **** me, if Brodie Kemp makes a full recovery, Carlton will have a monster midfield and forward line.

Honestly I'm scratching my head. Looking at that list and thinking the best thing to help it is a 18 year old ruckman... you'd think SOS is drafting for them.
I can only assume they think he'll be able to play forward while Gawn's in his prime and slowly get more ruck time. Drafting ruckmen high and hoping they can play forward isn't a winning strategy. Remember when some people on here (definitely not me of course) thought Longer could make it as a forward for some reason?
Funnily enough that was the move that left me scratching my head the most last year...

Not really on Melbourne's behalf, because a backup ruckman is useful, but for Pruess to decide to go from being stuck behind a decent first ruck to being stuck behind a younger and better first ruck.
I don't know what they were thinking. Taking the pressure off Gawn or something I guess but Preuss isn't much of a forward and will take a while to build his endurance yet. So yeah, why not double down? They'll look very silly if Gawn remains a dominant ruckman past the age of 30.
will be a mid/ruck and fwd. They see him playing some midfield minutes...
Why does this sound familiar? Oh right yeah they're hoping for an accelerated version of Stefan Martin's development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be wrong with Robertson, his kicking is suspect and Rivers is much better at that. Alistair Clarkson’s, “You can’t kick, you can’t play,” might ring true here a bit. I’m still blown away by some of the those taken especially late.

Remember when some people on here (definitely not me of course) thought Longer could make it as a forward for some reason?
The draft commentary started with "The first ruckman taken in the top..." and my brain filled it out with "three since Naitanui" and went sure, that must be what they're hoping for.

Except what they said was "ten since Billy Longer" and I was upset at being reminded of that. :(

Might be wrong with Robertson, his kicking is suspect and Rivers is much better at that. Alistair Clarkson’s, “You can’t kick, you can’t play,” might ring true here a bit. I’m still blown away by some of the those taken especially late.

After they hit the jackpot with Worpel I think we shouldn’t worry so much about hurt factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back