Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was a matter of meters away from Ely at training last week, he is legitimately massive and cut, made Jarrod Berry look relatively slim, he's a Patrick Cripps look alike body wise, hopefully he turns out the same or near in output.

I was a matter of meters away from Ely at training last week, he is legitimately massive and cut, made Jarrod Berry look relatively slim, he's a Patrick Cripps look alike body wise, hopefully he turns out the same or near in output.

Awesome news! I was a little worried he could be the type of player who'd want to go home for more opportunity, but so awesome to see him sign on. Definitely see he Cripps vibe and looks very good when he goes forward. Exciting kid.

VFL might be what Keays needs. Too good for NEAFL, not good enough for AFL. Got caught in that awkward gap and development stagnated.

A decent half-season and he could be back on a list nowadays.

If Ely Smith becomes a Patrick Cripps we will surely give the eagles a run for their money this year. Can't wait to see him Berry and fingers and toes crossed the best of CEY combining with the rest of the midfield

HUGE news on Ely.

Now 0/10 on predicting player movements based off their reactions at the draft. Ely legit looked like someone had murdered his dog when he was drafted by us lmao.

VFL might be what Keays needs. Too good for NEAFL, not good enough for AFL. Got caught in that awkward gap and development stagnated.

A decent half-season and he could be back on a list nowadays.

Dodongo would nearly stake a body part that Keays will be picked up in next years mid season draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Sam Skinner, Corey Lyons and Archie Smith being rookied this morning does that mean our list is now full? + I know Archie still has a couple of years left ie. OOC 2021, do Sam and Corey automatically go onto a 1 year contract?

Just rewatched the semi final loss for the first time since the day (I'm a masochist). aside from being disappointed to be reminded that we 100% should have won if we'd just taken half of our chances I was also struck by a mildly controversial opinion.

Jarrod Berry has a higher ceiling than clugga. Before you @ me, I also feel that clugga has a much, much higher floor than bez.

OK, now you can @ me. Bring it, internet

Just rewatched the semi final loss for the first time since the day (I'm a masochist). aside from being disappointed to be reminded that we 100% should have won if we'd just taken half of our chances I was also struck by a mildly controversial opinion.

Jarrod Berry has a higher ceiling than clugga. Before you @ me, I also feel that clugga has a much, much higher floor than bez.

OK, now you can @ me. Bring it, internet
Based on what tho? They will play different positions when they are a bit older. Berry as an inside outside and McCluggage probably outside-half forward. Berry was fairly dissapointing this year albeit with injury interrupted season/pre-season. What makes you think he has higher ceiling?

Based on what tho? They will play different positions when they are a bit older. Berry as an inside outside and McCluggage probably outside-half forward. Berry was fairly dissapointing this year albeit with injury interrupted season/pre-season. What makes you think he has higher ceiling?

I agree bez was disappointing this year, though I wonder how much was mental. His form markedly dropped off after he had the cyst drained and it looked like he wasn't able to get his head in the game to the same degree.

But basically it seems to me that when bez is switched on his bigger body and clean hands give him more avenues to impact the game. Just off size and strength he has an edge over clugga on the inside and in the air, and while he's behind on outside work the difference isn't as huge as I had remembered it being. Arguably the biggest gap he has to climb to reach clugs is in goal kicking, but it looked like he had the yips for most of the year so if he's got his head on straight then it's something that may narrow.

So that's where the higher ceiling comment comes from - he has more versatility than clugs largely due to his extra frame matched to high level skills. With that said, I reckon the while clugga may have fewer arrows in his quiver they are a hell of a lot sharper, and as a result his impact on games is a lot more consistent. Something which led me to feeling he has a much, much higher floor.

For what it's worth I rate clugga as a brown low smokey for next season and a likely perennial AA. I don't think Berry is as likely to scale the same heights as he seems to get in his own head and take himself out of games, but I also feel he has the potential to be one of the great mids of the younger generation if he can put it all together consistently. I felt like he was one of the most impactful players in the second half of the giants semi, after maybe only stef, so that's what set it all off

Totally negating all the above is that you're totally right that they play different positions and so it's comparing apples with oranges, but the off season is long and we need something to argue about so there you go

Last edited:
I agree bez was disappointing this year, though I wonder how much was mental. His form markedly dropped off after he had the cyst drained and it looked like he wasn't able to get his head in the game to the same degree.

But basically it seems to me that when bez is switched on his bigger body and clean hands give him more avenues to impact the game. Just off size and strength he has an edge over clugga on the inside and in the air, and while he's behind on outside work the difference isn't as huge as I had remembered it being. Arguably the biggest gap he has to climb to reach clugs is in goal kicking, but it looked like he had the yips for most of the year so if he's got his head on straight then it's something that may narrow.

So that's where the higher ceiling comment comes from - he has more versatility than clugs largely due to his extra frame matched to high level skills. With that said, I reckon the while clugga may have fewer arrows in his quiver they are a hell of a lot sharper, and as a result his impact on games is a lot more consistent. Something which led me to feeling he has a much, much higher floor.

For what it's worth I rate clugga as a brown low smokey for next season and a likely perennial AA. I don't think Berry is as likely to scale the same heights as he seems to get in his own head and take himself out of games, but I also feel he has the potential to be one of the great mids of the younger generation if he can put it all together consistently. I felt like he was one of the most impactful players in the second half of the giants semi, after maybe only stef, so that's what set it all off

Totally negating all the above is that you're totally right that they play different positions and so it's comparing apples with oranges, but the off season is long and we need something to argue about so there you go
I get this perspective.

I think it understates Hugh’s game vision/awareness, which for me is his single most striking trait and probably what I see as the biggest gap over Berry. Also, I think Hugh’s inside work is better than you’re giving him credit for. That said, I agree that Berry has massive improvement in him and could easily become a top caliber mid in the comp.

I get this perspective.

I think it understates Hugh’s game vision/awareness, which for me is his single most striking trait and probably what I see as the biggest gap over Berry. Also, I think Hugh’s inside work is better than you’re giving him credit for. That said, I agree that Berry has massive improvement in him and could easily become a top caliber mid in the comp.

That's a reasonable point. To be honest I'm just glad we have both of them on the side and looking forward to seeing how they continue to develop

Feels like the right time to look forward to the coming year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back