Not open for further replies.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I wanted Kemp at #9, so to get him at #17 and then another crack at a first round pick is fine with me. I would have been thrilled with Robertson but sometimes necessity trumps best available. We shall see what the club has in Philp. Too close to call for the backend of the 1st round.
Fastest 20m sprint for Philp. Probably is a need more than a slower midfielder

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
How bad are Carlton getting at drafts.. oh boy. It's not like they are Richmond/Geelong and can afford to muck around a bit with picks.

I don’t know how I missed this. I will try to break it down for you.

With Carlton’s 2020 1st round pick (would have been pick 4 or 6 in this years draft if they still bid on Henry and Green), the club traded that pick last year to Adelaide and ended up using it on Liam Stocker last year and split the 2020 pick (#9) to draft Brodie Kemp (would have likely been taken this year by the club, without last years pick swap, at #6) and Sam Philp. So the club took two kids they really liked in Liam and Brodie, and a flyer at the very end of this years 1st round with a draft pick only made possible by SOS trading #9. 3 talented youngsters for what was essentially 1 draft pick. If you get who you want and the club did on all 3 picks (Sam Philp? They moved up specifically for him), it is smart trading.

I understand that this is all complicated stuff but not really.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
I don’t know how I missed this. I will try to break it down for you.

With Carlton’s 2020 1st round pick (would have been pick 4 or 6 in this years draft if they still bid on Henry and Green), the club traded that pick last year to Adelaide and ended up using it on Liam Stocker last year and split the 2020 pick (#9) to draft Brodie Kemp (would have likely been taken this year by the club, without last years pick swap, at #6) and Sam Philp. So the club took two kids they really liked in Liam and Brodie, and a flyer at the very end of this years 1st round with a draft pick only made possible by SOS trading #9. 3 talented youngsters for what was essentially 1 draft pick. If you get who you want and the club did on all 3 picks (Sam Philp? They moved up specifically for him), it is smart trading.

I understand that this is all complicated stuff but not really.
Thanks for wasting your time and effort on explaining something that I already knew. It's who they picked and turning a higher draft pick into multiple lesser draft picks that is the problem. I mean they moved up to take a player who was slated for bottom of the second. Similar with Stocker. It's 2014 all over again at Carlton. Three years later we'll be talking about how they will be picking at number 1 again. Carlton are guilty of eyeing specific players rather than BPA. Very moneyball

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Thanks for wasting your time and effort on explaining something that I already knew. It's who they picked and turning a higher draft pick into multiple lesser draft picks that is the problem. I mean they moved up to take a player who was slated for bottom of the second. Similar with Stocker. It's 2014 all over again at Carlton. Three years later we'll be talking about how they will be picking at number 1 again. Carlton are guilty of eyeing specific players rather than BPA. Very moneyball

You do know that’s how draft pick splitting works?

And nah, in 3 years we will talk about how Fremantle are the worst interstate club all over again, just like they were before GCS first entered the comp.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
You do know that’s how draft pick splitting works?

And nah, in 3 years we will talk about how Fremantle are the worst interstate club all over again, just like they were before GCS first entered the comp.
I realise that, but they dropped from pick 9 to 17... Just so they could pick up a late 2nd round pick in the first round.

And lol and your inability to debate without trying to insult me. Pathetic. This has nothing to do with you, it's about your club and it's poor drafting/trading over the last 10 years that has kept it out of the finals since 2011. That includes multiple top 10 draft picks.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Of course there's a risk that this is like turning the Paul Ahern pick into Jaksch, Whiley and Boekhorst. None of us really know how any of these picks will turn out

We will see in 5 years time how turning the McCasey/Flanders pick into Stocker, Kemp and Philp pans out.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I realise that, but they dropped from pick 9 to 17... Just so they could pick up a late 2nd round pick in the first round.

And lol and your inability to debate without trying to insult me. Pathetic. This has nothing to do with you, it's about your club and it's poor drafting/trading over the last 10 years that has kept it out of the finals since 2011. That includes multiple top 10 draft picks.

I feel like I am in a constant fight on here trying to defend good trading and drafting by my club since 2015 when SOS became the list manager.

No one likes getting called out when I go on the attack as well.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I feel like I am in a constant fight on here trying to defend good trading and drafting by my club since 2015 when SOS became the list manager.

No one likes getting called out when I go on the attack as well.
It hasn't been good trading or drafting. Your club is still in the bottom 4. Out of the 2015 and 2016 trade periods.. two of the 8 players remain at Carlton. That's not even that long ago!

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Here we go again lol.

Even the likes of Jed Lamb and Liam Sumner had a purpose on the list. That purpose was taking up the spots previous failed picks and trades like Whilst, Viojo-Rainbow, Clem Smith etc. were. I get other supporters will just look at top line info on other club's but when you look into the inherited list you'll see that even the trade fillers like lamb and sumner were much needed

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Not saying every decision has been a good one. The Tuohy trade was no good even if we had no real need for him when Docherty was up and about

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
It hasn't been good trading or drafting. Your club is still in the bottom 4. Out of the 2015 and 2016 trade periods.. two of the 8 players remain at Carlton. That's not even that long ago!

For now we are in the bottom 4. Players have to be given time to fully develop. No Carlton fan thought we’d be playing finals in these last few years and if Carlton are still a bottom 4 club in the next 1 or 2 years, that is an issue. I don’t personally see it happening like that, though. We should start to see a real improvement now.

After Round 1 of the draft, I am happy with the two players we drafted and as Chef said before the draft yesterday, everyone should be happy with their selection in Round 1. Such an even draft outside of the top 2. Deven Robertson hasn’t even been selected yet and there were comments I read online from people thinking he’d be taken soon after the top 10 or 12. That’s how even things were.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pretty sure with Henderson and Dylan Buckley delisted there's only Tuohy, Holman wand Gowers left on an AFL list from the 30+ list changes in the opening 3 years.

And when you read about Gowers early misdemeanors as a rookie you can see why he was cut after a year.

How did that happen?
Motlop was end of R1 compo.
Turned that Ablett and 24 for 19 and later round pick swaps.

24 became Kelly.
Kelly became Stephens, 24. 2020 R1 and R2. 24 is now pick 11.

So looks like a lot of picks spun from SM leaving, in the end anyway

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

24 became Kelly.

SM you left? :(

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs

24 became Kelly.

I knew Motlop was good at something.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
All in all I reckon that was a great draft and pretty fun. Live pick trading adds another element to the draft.

Can’t get over Wells not only having the audacity to suggest the trade he did (or GC rang Geelong with it which just seemed nutty) but to actually pull it off.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Worked out well for Jack Martin and Carlton in the end. To get him at the end of the day only for the cost of money is pretty good.

GC are weird, they won’t take our offer of a second round pick for Martin but they will trade a premium 1st round pick next year for a 2nd round pick. That is shocking from them.

Last edited:

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Worked out well for Jack Martin and Carlton in the end. To get him at the end of the day only for the cost of money is pretty good.

GC are weird, they won’t take our offer of a second round pick for Martin but they will trade a premium 1st round pick next year for a 2nd round pick. That is shocking from them.
The kid they moved up to get must be very low flight risk and good character. If he becomes a 10 year player for them it will be worth it.

As for getting Martin without giving up a first round pick it's worked out perfectly. We effectively turned 1 2019 first round pick into Stocker, Kemp, Philp and Jack Martin

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
The kid they moved up to get must be very low flight risk and good character. If he becomes a 10 year player for them it will be worth it.

As for getting Martin without giving up a first round pick it's worked out perfectly. We effectively turned 1 2019 first round pick into Stocker, Kemp, Philp and Jack Martin

Happy with that lot. Stocker, Kemp and Martin expected to be best 22 moving forward (Kemp in ‘21) and Philp is the interesting one. I expect him to see more VFL next year to develop, no big rush.

A few Blues fans also mentioned Josh Honey as a potential pick at 47 yesterday and we ended up getting him through the Rookie draft. I don’t know anything about the guy but some of our fans seem to rate him. It’s the rookie draft, so why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back