Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow - signed to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Dows 5 games for Bendigo this year:

28 disposals (15 kicks 13 handballs) 8 marks 2 tackles 2 goals
24 disposals (11 kicks 13 handballs) 4 marks 4 tackles 1.1
9 disposals (5 kicks 4 handballs) 2 marks 1 tackle 1.2
24 disposals (8 kicks 16 handballs) 6 marks 1 goal
23 disposals (7 kicks 16 handballs) 2 marks 5 tackles

Kid obviously knows how to find the footy, which will only become easier as he develops in an AFL system.
what type of player was his brother before being destroyed by Carltoon

It's more about having a point of difference that I'm thinking about. Don't want to end up like Melbourne with 20 of the same player

Dees issues aren’t in the midfield it’s at either end of the ground. From memory 3rd for inside 50s, but last or second last for scoring efficiency. They were also one of the teams easiest to score against when it was in their d50.

They also struggle to transition from d50 to f50 which us cos they have no wingers and s**t HF line.

Dows 5 games for Bendigo this year:

28 disposals (15 kicks 13 handballs) 8 marks 2 tackles 2 goals
24 disposals (11 kicks 13 handballs) 4 marks 4 tackles 1.1
9 disposals (5 kicks 4 handballs) 2 marks 1 tackle 1.2
24 disposals (8 kicks 16 handballs) 6 marks 1 goal
23 disposals (7 kicks 16 handballs) 2 marks 5 tackles

Kid obviously knows how to find the footy, which will only become easier as he develops in an AFL system.
af98c-this.gif

Sadly my opinion is definitely tainted by his brothers career so far (and the fact that he plays for the bloos) - based on where they were taken our Dow is not rated as highly as their Dow :(

However, in true Big Footy style I'm happy to back our recruiters and talent spotters in and eventually be proved wrong. :)

If he can turn out half as good as the last Bendigo Pioneer lad we drafted in the ND then we will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Welcome Thomson.

Not saying he isn't worth the pick, just that I thought it strange we didn't go for something a bit different given we have quite a few similar and have some other future needs. Besides everyone is talking about down being ready in 2-3 years, who knows if our gameplay will be remotely the same then as now.
As it stands here are our VFL midfielders heading into 2020:

Riley Collier-Dawkins 193cm
Oleg Markov 188cm
Fraser Turner 187cm
Jack Ross 186cm
THOMSON DOW 184cm
Patrick Naish 182cm
English 181cm
Higgins 177cm

Nice mix of height across the board with another 4 picks to come in the draft, we'll likely add another 1-2 mid 180s types to the list as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the club has earned our trust, since 2006 we’ve stuffed up our first pick maybe 3/4 times (depending on if you think Conca was a stuff up given he was actually very serviceable for us for many years), Ty Vickery in 2008, Ben Lennon in 2013 and Cory Ellis in 2014, every other first pick has been serviceable, or won at least one VFL or AFL premiership with us.

I have faith that they’ve picked the right kid here and I look forward to seeing what he can do.

I think the club has earned our trust, since 2006 we’ve stuffed up our first pick maybe 3/4 times (depending on if you think Conca was a stuff up given he was actually very serviceable for us for many years), Ty Vickery in 2008, Ben Lennon in 2013 and Cory Ellis in 2014, every other first pick has been serviceable, or won at least one VFL or AFL premiership with us.

I have faith that they’ve picked the right kid here and I look forward to seeing what he can do.

I hear you, but I'm still incredibly underwhelmed. Best response I can muster! ;)

Damned with faint praise...:eek::oops:

damn with faint praise. (idiomatic) To provide praise that is minimal or inconsequential, implying that such praise is the best that could be said.

I wasn't about to damn it though - you've suggested that. To me it's just plain faint....................like the faintest pencil is better than the sharpest memory - if you can remember that one? :D

Let's use an appropriate synonym then - lukewarm support!

Afl.Draftcentral.com.au which I find a very good read rated Dow end of first round.
His strengths-athleticism and stoppage work-are elite however it’s his consistency that stops him being ranked higher.
States “has serious upside and if drafted by Richmond will win 4 Brownlows”
EFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back