Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

The Tom Morris interview with Dylan was cringeworthy , because of the constant reference to Carltank.
It appears both Adelaide and Carlton were hoping he would make it through, because the so called experts had no idea who we were targeting.

I'm not exactly sure why, but the first player that came to mind was another left-footed South Australian that went at pick 5, Jared Polec. Either his running or kicking style, or both, reminded me of him a lot

I like that Stephens has SANFL experience and has been tested against senior players

I'm not exactly sure why, but the first player that came to mind was another left-footed South Australian that went at pick 5, Jared Polec. Either his running or kicking style, or both, reminded me of him a lot

I like that Stephens has SANFL experience and has been tested against senior players

If he turns out to be a similar player to Polec would that be worth the pick we payed?

If he turns out to be a similar player to Polec would that be worth the pick we payed?
Of course, Polec is tracking for 200 games which is almost twice as good as the average pick #5 and he was borderline All Australian squad this year

Unfortunately i may be a sceptic.

If he is a Dalrymple selection I am happy as but if a Beatson selection I will have to wait for 3 years to judge.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
:huh:
He is what he is. He would have gone in the next 3 or 4 picks so we had one before those so as a team, both Darymple & Beatson are both responsible so I'm a little confused as to why you'd be harsh on Beatson but forgiving of Darymple.

Jack McCrae would be another I’d sort of compare but I really hate these comparisons.

The Tom Morris interview with Dylan was cringeworthy , because of the constant reference to Carltank.
It appears both Adelaide and Carlton were hoping he would make it through, because the so called experts had no idea who we were targeting.
I think we stitched Carlton up. They wanted him with their pick 9.

Sister up at Newcastle is good. Family seem pretty happy he's a Swan.

Yeah, I really liked that interview. I know it's his dad but he said all the right things about him. Disciplined, determined and dedicated young man.

Kids that get drafted high obviously have talent but one of the major factors that counts towards having a successful career is attitude and I think this kid's got the right one.

Inb4 florent requests a trade because Stephen's steals his best friend in Hayward.

This pick has grown on me since it went through. Great mix of speed and endurance, nice skills, willing to back himself in tight, goal kicker, solid head on his shoulder.
................and obviously a very good person which the Swans rate highly.

I think we stitched Carlton up. They wanted him with their pick 9.

Then took their frustrations out on Freo and GWS lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie Florent averaged about 18 in junior footy. He averages 25 now.

Luke Parker increased his average by 5.

Joey Kennedy was averaging far less at junior level than the 30 he averages now.

The kid averaged 17.1 for Norwood SANFL team. In his first season that is good. He had a couple of breakout games, but other than that apparently was pretty consistent. I can remember Fearless Fosdyke when he first came to Swannies. He was so skinny if he turned sideways you would miss him. He was so white that if he stood in the sun he disappeared. Yet he should have won a Norm Smith with LRT. He was a, sensational player from the same club as Dillon. Get message this kid is here to stay and will be a gun for us.

He is an elite disposer and add Matty Ling, Jordie Dawson, Nick Blakey, Bud, Ollie and man we have some bloody hit firepower.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

How’s Matty ling make a list of firepower? Can’t even get on the park

My worry though is that Stephens does not find a lot of the ball. He averaged 18 disposals in the championships compared to Robertson who averaged 30. 18 disposals is not great and we have learned from experience players don't usually improve that aspect of their game. Generally their junior numbers are similar to their senior numbers.
One is an inside mid, the other is a wingman. Completely different players.

Imagine Ling comes good and starts training.

Unleash both boys in 2020.

#GlassHalfFull
Would tear the private schools comp apart. 😂
I reckon Dylan would have been pick in mid teens most other years.
I certainly don't see him having the impact of last years 5,6 or 7 in Rozee, King and Smith at Dogs.
And I sure as sheet don't hold much store in looking good in the SANFL.
It'll be up to his dedication and development I guess - and he seems to have the qualities to give that a crack.
Wishing him well.
Really hope he succeeds.

One is an inside mid, the other is a wingman. Completely different players.

Exactly think Gaff- if he gets it 22-25 times he’s so damaging it’s not funny. Not saying Stephens is Gaff but you get the gist

My worry though is that Stephens does not find a lot of the ball. He averaged 18 disposals in the championships compared to Robertson who averaged 30. 18 disposals is not great and we have learned from experience players don't usually improve that aspect of their game. Generally their junior numbers are similar to their senior numbers.

If I recall he got 30 disposals in the last game when played as an inside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back