"Goddess"
34 philp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
That’s a nice stat, with his speed he should be getting out in the open a lot more though so I imagine his game sense needs a bit of work but that’s what a good program should teach at training and in the 2’s.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

55% contested ball actually seems a little bit low for a guy who plays predominantly as an inside mid; that’s without knowing the exact ratio of inside to outside.

I’d like to see more of his forward craft to see his nous up there. There is a spot open for a pressure forward pending a good pre-season.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
55% contested ball actually seems a little bit low for a guy who plays predominantly as an inside mid; that’s without knowing the exact ratio of inside to outside.

I’d like to see more of his forward craft to see his nous up there. There is a spot open for a pressure forward pending a good pre-season.
Might be a fan of the old 1-2... 1st possession contested At the stoppage, gives it off and bursts away, by the time it comes back he’s already broken clear of the congestion and gets an uncontested handball receive.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Might be a fan of the old 1-2... 1st possession contested At the stoppage, gives it off and bursts away, by the time it comes back he’s already broken clear of the congestion and gets an uncontested handball receive.

I hope so, we need more players who drive the play rather than being purely a participant. Cripps, Murphy and Walsh can do this, others don’t or are still working out when to do it. I’d love to see someone like Dow try to do it more often.

Philp seems to have the presence of mind around the stoppages, so hopefully that translates to the level.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I hope so, we need more players who drive the play rather than being purely a participant. Cripps, Murphy and Walsh can do this, others don’t or are still working out when to do it. I’d love to see someone like Dow try to do it more often.

Philp seems to have the presence of mind around the stoppages, so hopefully that translates to the level.
Dow has had half a dozen odd moments bursting from the stoppage where I’ve thought “damn, that’s peak Dangerfield”.

Having Philp, Dow (and Kemp?) who can do that should really keep defenders on their toes.

Those guys in combination with our big units, gut runners and smooth movers could make our midfield group (which appears to be spreading across the field and could occupy most of the flanks) a really damaging unit.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I went to see where Philp went in the BF Phantom and read the write-up and was pleased to see foj1 had selected him as he has long been one of the watchers whose opinion i rate highly. This was his write-up:

Pick 33 Sam Philp 187cm 80kg Midfielder Northern Knights

Sam had a consistent year and just keeps winning the footy.
Sam is extremely proficient at winning clearances and applying strong defensive pressure.
Traits Essendon’s powderpuff midfield of Merrett, Shiel, Heppell, Parish and Zaharakis are not proficient at.
Sam is quite the athlete and tested number one in 20 metre sprint at combine. He does not use this as an offensive weapon in his game often enough but he uses it defensively.
Sam also tested top 10 for vertical jump and yoyo. Speed and endurance is a winning combination.

Rationale for pick
5th best midfielder for mine only Rowell, Anderson, Stephens and Kemp I rate higher.
I know that is a massive statement. McGuinness and Robertson fans would disagree.
Essendon need competitors as there are a group of downhill skiers who do not look great in the clinches or under physical duress. Philp, McGrath and Clarke are all young and made of the right stuff. No coincidence Smith won a best and fairest in his first year.
Philp is going to need to continue to work on his hurt factor with the footy but a lot of his footy is contested. He also needs to be cleaner with the footy. Neither of these flaws are deal breakers.

I again went for the highest on my board and the more I saw this kid the more I liked him. Fancy him not getting a vic metro opportunity. I would have loved to have nabbed Harrison Jones here as I have him 10th on my board. The tall players available are not quite there for this pick when Philp still available

2015 - Pick 19 (pre-bids): We select Cuningham, a 185cm mid with breakaway pace. We screw over Richmond in order to get this selection
2018 - Pick 19: We select Stocker, a 184cm mid with breakaway pace. We reportedly screw over Richmond by jumping in front of them at the last minute
2019 - Pick 20: We select Philp, a 185cm mid with breakway pace. We reportedly screw over Richmond by jumping in front of them at the last minute

1574915312425.png

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings

JEZZAS BLUES

Team Captain
Dec 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool Sturt
Welcome to Carlton Sam still a bit shocked he was picked so early i havent seen him play i hope he is a gem...

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
A lady I work with son has played with this kid at northern knight says we got a ripper player, said he has elite hands to go with the elite pace, that’s a killer combo for an inside mid, he doesn’t have the biggest frame so may be awhile before we see him in the ones, inside mids with that kind of leg speed are pretty rare, apparently very highly rate in club land.

Back