Toast Welcome to Freo Hayden Young – Fremantle’s 1st 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #7]

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this pick so much. Instantly replaces the loss of Brad Hill’s kick.

6 out of 12 recruiters had him at pick 3.

Young is an absolute bargain. Imagine him filling out and becoming big body mid with precision kick. Could be next Lenny Hayes

His kicking is a truckload better than Lenny Hayes (who was an absolute legend, don't take that the wrong way).

What I also find interesting is Jackson doesn't seem the reach at #3 that a lot of people are saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we put him straight into the midfield or start him at half back and push Wilson into the midfield?
Um... neither imo. Wilson doesn't have the endurance for midfield. Young should start at half back and settle in for as long as it takes before we even consider a midfield move. Young takes Cerra's spot at half back. Cerra moves to the midfield (rotating half forward).

Geez, it's hard not to get excited about this kid...apart from just having a laser of a left boot...

- he is legit dual sided
- his default option after gaining possession is to look straight to the most dangerous and attacking part of the ground...no looking inboard for the chip pass, no just blindly hoofing it up boundary line...he has a natural instinct to create havoc with every possession he gets
- has a decent turn of pace when required...those last minute smothers are testament to that
- makes good decisions and wants the ball in his hand...I'm thinking JLO is working on a game plan that cycles the ball through his hands every time we launch from the back half

His kicking is a truckload better than Lenny Hayes (who was an absolute legend, don't take that the wrong way).

What I also find interesting is Jackson doesn't seem the reach at #3 that a lot of people are saying.
Yeah I am genuinely surprised that Jackson actually went top 3. I was impressed by him at the champs (not top 3 impressed) but I openly admit I have trouble projecting rucks. Glad we didn't take him but feel like he might become awesome to watch.

Geez, it's hard not to get excited about this kid...apart from just having a laser of a left boot...

- he is legit dual sided
- his default option after gaining possession is to look straight to the most dangerous and attacking part of the ground...no looking inboard for the chip pass, no just blindly hoofing it up boundary line...he has a natural instinct to create havoc with every possession he gets
- has a decent turn of pace when required...those last minute smothers are testament to that
- makes good decisions and wants the ball in his hand...I'm thinking JLO is working on a game plan that cycles the ball through his hands every time we launch from the back half

Also topped the agility test at the combine and has some mongrel about him (some great smothers and tackles in his videos)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only doubt on him is that he hasn't really showed he can kick 20 metres and hit target, but 50 -60 metres perfect

Seriously, talented across all facets and seems to be very mature, grounded and astute going on his interviews. Welcome Mr Young:thumbsu:

What makes it even better is that it was no way a fluke. You run through his highlights and he pulls similar stuff off every game it feels like
Liked this line from one of the other club's recruiters...

He's not just a good kick – he doesn't force the ball into bad areas, ever.

Watching the footage it seems pretty bang on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back