Game Day 2019 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Its ok to admit you don’t follow the draft

I don't follow the draft - and I don't need to follow it to know that it's an inexact science, all I need to do is go back and look at past draft orders and see how they stack up to what those players have produced at AFL level.

Bergman was a first rounder in all of the fantasy drafts I saw. Macca had Georgiades pegged as a top 10 pick pre injury. I don't follow the draft, but that says to me they've both got something going for them.

We seem to be picking players with good hands in the air; fyfe like. Eh at least its not short people

(watch us pick bianco tomorrow)

Something we have seriously lacked. We have been aerially inept for a long time.

Honeyboy Wilson

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A fair point.

Maybe it points to the thought that one of the picks before our next pick was interested.

There's two clubs rumoured to have interest, with picks between 18 and our next pick.

The other thought could be that pick 22 is still very much in play in terms of being traded down a few picks. I suspect theres a few clubs trying to offer us stuff .... but we can't be stupid there, if we trade down too far, we lose the free hit at Mead.

I'm happy with us picking up Mitch - but this article doesn't apply to the original situation. At the time of the article, our picks were 16 and 18 - the Georgiades pick in this situation was the 16 and therefore there was only one club to worry about before 18.

But if you want them, why risk it if you're happy to get a player with the third pick that you think will be there later? That's what happened as we've traded down again, which has worked very well in our favour. Kemp was already gone by our second pick, and the players I think most would want us to grab with that third pick are all still on the board.

So no reason for melts at where we took him.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The AFL figures are out dated. He is 192cm & 87kg as tested at the draft combine a month ago.

He is taller and heavier now so go with the bigger numbers

Ok, that's great. Its what I thought because I recall reading he made a conscious effort in the gym while he was injured. I don't recall where I read it, but its a great sign in a junior player. I haven't read anything about when he is going to be ready to train. Obviously the recruiters are satisfied that there are no long term issues from the injury because a year out of football and three surgeries is pretty serious stuff. However, a pacy lead up forward with good defensive pressure and strong hands in an AFL-ready frame sounds like it fills a massive hole for us all being well.

I guess I'm more pleased that we have moved to fill one of our deepest holes than I am concerned over the associated risks with him. I haven't seen anything mentioned about his skills, in particular, his kicking.

I had to read it three times, but ultimately it indeed made sense!

We've traded:
- with Saints and Lions for two extra top picks this season;
- with Freo to recover losses in next year's draft (i.e., for Schofield and Jones); and
- with Carlton so we could get Mead in this draft.

Thank you very much.
Good summary of what we have done since October.

Conceptually the hardest thing to get your head around when you prima facie see the Freo and Brisbane trades is to remember than when picks are swapped to bid for father-son or academy players, the club receiving picks to use on bids against those players, are prepared to trade away points to the approximate value of the discount they will receive.

We gave up 213 pts to Brisbane to help with the Mead bid, because we expected to get a 197 pt discount on a Mead bid, so it made sense to not have 200 excess pts if we don't really want to draft someone else after Mead.

Freo gave up 383 pts in my example above but it might be more or might be less depending on their finishing position net year, but they get a discount of 295 pts to get a top 10 player this year, so potentially losing 88 pts - maybe be more maybe less, wont know until next year for sure, is worth it.

Now that we have had 2 examples of this it should become easier to spot next year.

Last year we lost about 1,000 pts in the picks trade with Freo, but we took the calculated risk to get Rozee. It didn't look good at the time but 12 months on I think everyone will say it was worth it. It also helped Freo and that might be an important reason why they were prepared to trade with us tlast night - Karma.

This is how our minor picks moved around last night given who bid on players and who we traded with. The trades are as per the draft and trade thread.

Starting picks a few days before the draft are listed and then I have shown the eliminations by AFL so picks each club has is equal to the amount of slots vacant on each list

PA.. 12,16,52,55,66,67,68,72 became 12,16,18,52,55,65. 67,68,72 eliminated and 66 moved down to 65

Freo 7,8,49,58,69 became 7,8,49,58,66
GWS 4,40,59,60 no picks eliminated or changed
Carl 9,43,57,70 became 9,43,57,67

From last night

Live trade 1:
GWS in: #62 and #70
Collingwood in: #60
So after that trade GWS had 4,40,59,62,70

Live trade 2:
Fremantle in: #52 and #55
Port Adelaide in: #66 and future 2nd (tied to Fremantle? Fremantle also have Melbourne's)
So after that trade
Port 12,16,18,65,66
Freo 7,8,49,52,55,58

Bid matched:

Carlton bid on Fremantle's Liam Henry.
Fremantle match, moving up to pick 9.
Fremantle's remaining picks are drained of value and demoted to the end of the draft.
Everything else moves up.
Freo had already used 7 and 8 so
9 is added to the picks and 49,52,55,58 are eliminated so
Port's picks become 13,17,19, 62, 63 (65+1 pick added-4 eliminated = 62), (66+1-4 =63)
Carlton's picks become 10,44,55 (57+1-3),64 (67+1-4)

Bid matched:

Carlton bid on GWS's Tom Green.
GWS match, moving up to pick 10.
GWS's remaining picks are drained of value are demoted to the end of the draft.
Everything else moves up.
After Freo Bid GWS' picks 40,59,62,70 become 41,56,59,67
10 is added and then 41,56,59,67, is eliminated, 3 picks eliminated before Port's minor picks
Port's picks become 14,18,20,60,61 (62+1-3 =60), (63+1- 3 =61)
Carlton's picks become 11,44,55 (55+1-1),62 (64+1-3)

Live trade 3:

Gold Coast in: #11 and #62
Carlton in: #17 and #22
This doesn't affect Port

Live trade 4:
Carlton in: 20
Port Adelaide in: #22 and #55
Port's remaining Picks become 22,55,60,61

Live trade 5:
Port Adelaide in #23 + 2020 Rd 2 Collingwood pick
Brisbane in #22 + 2020 Rd 4 GWS pick received from Frampton trade with crows who got pick from GWS for Jacobs

Last edited:
Ok, that's great. Its what I thought because I recall reading he made a conscious effort in the gym while he was injured. I don't recall where I read it, but its a great sign in a junior player. I haven't read anything about when he is going to be ready to train. Obviously the recruiters are satisfied that there are no long term issues from the injury because a year out of football and three surgeries is pretty serious stuff. However, a pacy lead up forward with good defensive pressure and strong hands in an AFL-ready frame sounds like it fills a massive hole for us all being well.

I guess I'm more pleased that we have moved to fill one of our deepest holes than I am concerned over the associated risks with him. I haven't seen anything mentioned about his skills, in particular, his kicking.

Georgiades could have played the last couple of finals with Subi last year but decided not to risk it, then turned out for draft combine in great condition.

He should be ready to go from day 1, maybe eased into it.

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Perhaps some of the recruiters decisions are starting to make a bit of sense at least now? We would get who we wanted around our current picks anyway and Doogs would have trouble fitting into our new forward structure going forward? Plus looking at next year a pick in the first round might be eaten up by other clubs bidding on our fs and academy players anyway?

Are you saying we are too quick to jump to conclusions and can be overly emotional in our responses to things we arent fully informed about?

I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrockBlitz

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So I have barely paid attention to this because my guys are about to play a bowl game this weekend, but some things about these boys injuries which may alleviate some of your concerns.

Mitchell - the calcified blood and bleeding into the quad isn't a big deal. It's a real pain in the ass at the time but is solvable provided it doesn't go too far. If it's left for too long and really thickens up you have to completely cut it out. The bigger it is, the more muscle belly you need to remove. It doesn't sound like this was too bad in our boys case and he shouldn't have any long term issues.

Miles - Shin splints and foot stress fractures in both feet. So reading between the lines from the amount of sport this kid plays, him running the yo-yo and then being on crutches after it and him becoming a doctor he's a straight up workaholic. These are over use injuries and sometimes guys like this do too much and under recover. With our fitness staff we can closely monitor this and I can't imagine it being a long term issue. Pretty common at this age due to how quickly kids grow. Bone matures much much slower than muscle and tendon - about 2 years to completely remodel.

Being a hard worker is a good problem to have. I remember hearing about Micheal Hurley only training once per week during season because it's all his body can handle. Then you've got guys like Ollie and Westy who unless they have a skiing incident won't miss a session the entire preseason.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
I think the recruitment team is thinking that everything is going to plan at the moment. Got the two players they most wanted (the team didn't hesitate to call out their names, and looked pleased on the live stream). Now to execute the last piece of the plan.
Didn't see the stream last night so I'm glad to read ^.
If so then the icing on the cake is pick 22 what's it worth to other clubs and we've got all day to digest offers.

My hunch is that Port isn’t really interested in trading that pick. They are following the same path of many teams with the first pick in the draft. Say pick 1 is on the table, and see if someone comes back with an offer that’s just too good to refuse.

According to reports a few clubs are interested in pick 22. We could get a great offer but I’m thinking we keep the pick

Jan 20, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My hunch is that Port isn’t really interested in trading that pick. They are following the same path of many teams with the first pick in the draft. Say pick 1 is on the table, and see if someone comes back with an offer that’s just too good to refuse.

According to reports a few clubs are interested in pick 22. We could get a great offer but I’m thinking we keep the pick

Especially with all the talk of maybe getting a future first for it, when essentially (I know not exactly because it was actually the Mitch pick) we traded our future first for it anyway. I would want more than that back for it.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It's still pick 22 at the end of the day. No one's going to do an over way over the top for pick 22 they wouldn't have done last night for pick 20 or 21.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back